8/30/07 squirrel hunt.

Me and Redblood went squirrel huntin yesterday morning to a "sweet spot". In the past 4 years we have killed 74 squirrels in 4 trips in these woods. There was not one hickory nut in the woods. The tree rats were alot harder to come by this year. The ones we killed were in red oaks eating acorns. The white oaks had not one acorn on them, but I saw plenty of deer under the red oaks. THis spot is also one of my favorite bow hunting spots. Reblood shot 5 times and killed 5. I shot 9 times killed 8 and lost one out of my vest. I love huntin' with my .22!

101_3145.jpg

Plateau Hunter

Good Hunt HH

5 for 5 is great shooting as is 8 for 9. I know it is tough to do that. I use a .22 myself and occasionally have a pretty good string going then a twig pops up or the squirrel moves just as you let'r go!!

Nice looking CZ. What sort of ammo do you use? I like the subsonic hollowpoints and use Remington primarily because of their lower cost and they are accurate enough out of my good rifles. I have also used Lapua, and RWS but they are pricy. Although they aren't real pricy compared to centerfire ammo I am used to buying 500 rounds for $10-15 so that spoils you when you are looking at premium .22 ammo and prices.

I have killed a few so far this year. They are eating some scrappy little black oak and a few red oak acorns on my place. Times are going to be tough due to the late freeze and mast failure. Plateau Hunter

Latest posts