7mm-08 loads ?

Tiny

If your asking if it is suitable for Deer? Yes.

Might want to ask DA about them as it seems I recall him using them in a 7mm RSAUM.

Tiny

See there DA your ears were burning or the computer screen was one. LOL

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
I killed a large doe and a nice 8 pointer with that bullet last year at 3500 fps with no problems. Both were around 100 yards. At 7/08 velocity it should do just great as well. Performancewise it did better than the 180 Accubond out of my RUM did this year.

Incidentally I got exit wounds on both even with that velocity.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Here's a picture of the sectioned 120 compared to a heavier one. The jacket walls on the 120 are actually heavier than those on the 140 and 150 grains. I've been told that the bullet was originally intended for metallic silhouette shooting and didn't hold together well enough to drop the metallic targets at range so Nosler beefed up the case walls to help with that. It resulted in a bullet that works better than expected at high velocity. The early production was thinner walled I understand but the only ones I've had work great.
Nosler120NBT.jpg

pety221

these i have i bought in the last few months wanted to try them out of my 7mag on deer justkinda worried bout that speed an bullet weight being so small
that theyll blow up on impact

TiminTN

Carry on pety, they will get the job done just fine. I had a great thread going on 24HR about the 7mm 120 grain a while back is where much disscussion came from. I posted the link here at one time. Steve Timm who was a writer for Varmint Hunter Magazine shot a 280AI and chimed in on his actual hunts with the bullet, he had used it on mule deer and elk with complete satisfaction. He goes by Dogzapper on 24HR. I have a wildcat cartridge based on the 300 Win Mag I have shot them in and will kill a few deer with it before long, and use the 120 Ballistic Tip.

.444 Marlin

Whelen Man said:
Here's a picture of the sectioned 120 compared to a heavier one. The jacket walls on the 120 are actually heavier than those on the 140 and 150 grains. I've been told that the bullet was originally intended for metallic silhouette shooting and didn't hold together well enough to drop the metallic targets at range so Nosler beefed up the case walls to help with that. It resulted in a bullet that works better than expected at high velocity. The early production was thinner walled I understand but the only ones I've had work great.
Nosler120NBT.jpg

How would that 120 hold up on coyotes/groundhogs from a 7-08?

remington

The 139gr Hornady Interlock has worked well for me in my 7mm-08 but I just can't get the Accubonds to shoot to my satisfaction. I may have to try 120gr Ballistic Tips.
I prefer shoulder shots,do ya think the 120grBT will do well going thru bone? I'm sure it will but wanna from someone who has used them in the 7-08.

CZ284

If you can get the Barnes bullets to shoot well for you you can forget about velocity- they don't blow up and the wound channels they create are great. I am a die hard 7 mm shooter and have had nothing but success with the Barnes. I shoot them in my 7 mag, .284 Winchester and my son shoots a 7-08. We use the 150 XS.I recently shot five xs into a hole that measured .440 @ 100 yards out of my .284. Velocity is 2850.

You can get almost 3000 fps out of a barnes 140 gr in the 7-08 as well. Bullets will not blow up even at very close ranges.

7mm08

I agree with CZ284 on the Barnes bullet. I recently culled a cow horned spike. Shot was 40-50 yards. The Federal with a 140TSX tore of the left atrium (chamber of heart), dropped a lung, and then partial lobe of liver and exited the lower flank with a hole less than the size of a quarter. Looking back at the site the other day, the deer maybe traveled 10 yards.

I will stick with these. I do not want anymore tissue damage than this, but will shoot ballistic tips on coyotes.

Latest posts