#7 and #8 short story, pics, video

catman529

This past weekend, fri-sun was my second and last draw hunt of the year at Williamsport WMA. Weather got increasingly warmer and the number of hunters and deer being killed decreased through the weekend. I did not see any live deer on the hoof until the very end. When I checked the weekends harvest report online on Saturday afternoon, only 7 deer had been checked in from the draw hunt. I hunted all day Friday, six hours on Saturday morning (had to work that evening) and all day Sunday with lunch in between.

Sunday was by far the slowest day for deer movement and hunters, with only a few hunters in the morning and almost nobody in the afternoon. I'm pretty sure I didn't hear a single rifle shot coming from the WMA all day on Sunday.

Morning hunt in a thick bottomland produced nothing but squirrels and birds but the deer sign was good. I did a bit of scouting to the west and found a good holler with a tall walnut tree I could climb. At the bottom of the hollow was the thick bottom land with all the bedding and deer sign.

I set up around 1pm and climbed 50 ft up that walnut tree.

C5E59F85-BD5B-4F5B-88C8-BA8919882F6B-14050-000018C8502F20A2.jpg

Nothing but noisy squirrels all afternoon. About 10 mins before the end of legal shooting hours, some of the squirrel rustling sounded a bit steadier. I looked over my right shoulder behind me and here thy came, a doe and a little one, possibly another deer or two as well. Got my gun up , had to wait for a clear shot because I was up a bit too high (bowriter was right on that one) but she gave me a shot quartering to me and I squeezed one off and she flopped over dead. Her fawn blew and ran 10 yards closer and stopped. I turned on the camera, zoomed in and started video. Squeezed one off and the fawn flipped over dead. Climbed 500,000 feet back down the tree and for the deer for a pic, gutted and hauled em out of there.

757F8A48-09CC-492E-AAD8-A633870A6393-344-0000001732C37BB1.jpg

Video of the fawn shot and recovery. Sorry it's dark and grainy, like I said it was in the last 10 mins of light.

http://youtu.be/0bbrKmlGtEo

Filled my 2 tags for the hunt and got some tender meat

Thanks for reading/watching

catman529

bowhunter163 said:
Can we get an adventures of catman tv series ?
lol well I got a YouTube channel, not production style videos but rather raw edited type stuff just to show the hunt as it happened.

catman529

in the dog house! said:
Talk abut nose bleed seats !! lol congrats !!
funny you say that. I was just headed home from work tonight and got a nose bleed... never had that happen before, must have been a delayed reaction from being up in the tree ;)

Latest posts