5 minutes before today's shower......

416wbymag

I laid out a 60x90' plot saturday morning and sprayed it with round up. Later that afternoon, my neighbor came over and rotovatored it for a couple inches deep.

I was waiting on the rain before I seeded but am headed to Catoosa tomorrow so I thought I would spread it today banking on the rain coming tomorrow (supposedly).

Well on the way down the hill in the Blazer after seeding, I got a drop or two... By the time I hit Gander Mtn (2.5 miles) I was in the middle of a nice little drizzle that lasted about 20 minutes. I am hoping that was enough to set the seed for the rain thats coming.

I dropped:

4.5lbs of Tecomate Monster Mix with chicory and 4 different types clover.

2.25lbs of Tecomate Ultra Forage Standside with rape seed, turnips, clover and chicory.

Do you guys recommend anything else on top of that?

JohnnyDollar

the only other thing I would put down is wheat, it grows fast and it gives them something to eat on until the other is ready. The frost is what makes the rape, chicory, etc. so tastey.

deerchaser007

Small seeds should be mixed with sand in order to get a even spread throughout the area. Try putting out 5 lbs of ladino clover on a acre of ground without sand. Its impossible. One even better,.. 3 lbs of chicory on a acre. Thats tuff........

1Roscoe

deerchaser007 said:
Small seeds should be mixed with sand in order to get a even spread throughout the area. Try putting out 5 lbs of ladino clover on a acre of ground without sand. Its impossible. One even better,.. 3 lbs of chicory on a acre. Thats tuff........

Dang, never thought of that when seeding my little plot! What a great idea for next time...Thanks!

BigGame

Good advice there. I like to spread it with winter wheat. Serves the same purpose and the turkeys will eat the seed off of the heads in the spring, makes for good turkey hunting.

416wbymag

Thanks guys, I cannot fins winter wheat here in Knoxville, Our COOP is crappy. I might try to get to Loudon this weekend. I dont have any Turkey nearby so I may just stick with what I have.....

HOOK

416wbymag said:
Wow 80 reads and no opinions, I guess I am doing something right...

Well...no...you over seeded and you completely wasted the herbacide you applied. If applied correctly all of the above should show signs of germination about 9-10 days after a good rain.

Boone 58

Actually if you purchase a small hand held plastic spreader from Scotts for about 11 bucks you can set it on setting 1 and it will allow just enough seed to pass thru that you can indeed walk an acre with a small amount of clover and get an even spread. I have used this for years and it is very effective. use a back and forth pattern and then cris cross and you will get excellent results!

416wbymag

Hook, I appreciate all the constructive criticism and knowledge your post gave.

I have sprouts now, a nice green start. And no grass in site. I am not sure why you think the herbacide is wasted. It is a systemic and is in the roots and killing the plant within an hour. I overseeded after reading the posts from the experts here that say to overseed if you arent going to be able to rake or drag the area....

Camoman, that is the spreader I used but I had it on 2 instead of 1.

Latest posts