4th of July Camping at LBL

44fanatic

R.I.P.
Got the family out camping again out at Piney Campground. Had a great weekend and even survived the storms Saturday night.

Thursday: Got the last "beechfront" spot in Sweetgum Loop, things are looking good. Get the tents set up and the boat in the water. Go looking for a place for the kids to go tubing, fight traffic for an hour or so and go looking for a quiter area, find it at the main boat launch in Piney. Everyone has a good time.
Friday: Wake up at 430 to go fishing, had to wait for enough light. Get the lines wet at about 0530, start catching bank runners...pack up the heavy tackle and go with ultra lights, everyone starts putting small fish in the boat except my daughter. Come back about 0830 and the wife is awake, she lets me make breakfast...nothing like burnt bacon. Kids play in the water the rest of the day. Get back out fishing that evening, hit the bridge and now everyone is catching fish, all bank runners but everyone is having fun.
Saturday: Get back out on the water at 0530, no fish at the bridge, fish the rock embankment, daughter catches a 4lb drum, makes her day, I catch 16.5 largemouth, makes my day (fishing Kentucky and Barkley for 7 years now and thats my 6th keeper). Hit a small cove and start slamming blue gill, whites and yellows, everyone is having a great time. Work our way out of the cove, hit another rock wall and a friends son hooks up on a nice 15in keeper. Head back to camp. Later that day, go to have fun on the water...skiing and tubing (found a small stretch of beech we could play on), wife finds a leech on her and refuses to go back in the water, wind and weather start picking up so make a mad dash back to the camp. Get the boat out of the water, start making dinner and it breaks loose, here comes the rain, ended up eating "charcoal" burgers in the tent.
Think I need to seal the seams on the tent, sleeping bags got wet. Kids and myself sleep well that night, wife is miserable.
Sunday: pack everything up and head home. Wish I would have gotten another fishing run in...maybe next time.

In conclusion: we all had a good time. Kids are ready to go camping again. Wife will remember the leeches, but will go back in the water. Now I have all the gear to clean and dryout...Its Monday morning and I'm still putting it off....time to get to work. Forgot to mention, I didnt wear a watch and the only time I knew what time it was was when I was getting up to go fishing and the cell phone did not ring (love not having coverage). And the last note...its not camping without rain....lol

Latest posts