45 thompson center hawkins

Wobblyshot1

It depends on condition and how bad you want it. I've seen them go on gun auctions for 200/300 dollars. Make sure the bore is good by at least running a tight patch down it.

What's the asking price?

Rubberduck270

I've seen them in Pawn Shops for $250-$300 so from an individual you're lookin at $200-$250, maybe less. And like Wobbly said, check the condition of the bore and also check the condition of the nipple threads.

southernhunter

He said 75 bucks . I haven't seen the gun yet .except for a few. Pics . I have to drive about 2 hours to meet they guy . Seems really cheap which. Maks me wonder about the condition of the gun

Wobblyshot1

Before I drove two hours, I believe I'd ask him to send a few more close up pics of the lock/nipple area and muzzle. If you see any rusting or pitting I'd be wary. If it's on the outside, more than likely it's on the inside too.

One other thing to consider is that it might still be loaded. I've been known to tinker with traditional muzzle loaders and the word is out. I've had several o boys at work and around the area bring me these old traditionals to fix. Most of the time they had had a failure to fire and they didn"t know how to unload them. They were put away dirty and with a hot load, sometimes for years. Needless to say, after I had pulled the load the barrell was usually pretty much destroyed by rust and pitting.

On the other hand, you may have found a steal. Check out ebay. It's loaded with the older TC muzzle loading parts including barrels. You could even go with a drop in Green Mountain barrel replacement and make yourself a fine huntin gun.

southernhunter

ok . i ended buying it . come to find out it had been loaded two years and the guy couldnt get it unloaded . it take me a min but i was able to unloaded it when i got home . over all gun is a 6 out of ten and bore wasnt as bad as i thought it would be . when i put a light down it . but i now have a big problem up on cleaning it my cleaning rod with a patch got stuck at the bottom of the barrel . and its not coming out , i pull the handle off the cleaning rod trying to get it out . only thing i can think of is to pour something down the barrel that will deslove the patch and let the jeg come free . any thoughts ??????.i need some help on this one

A

Anonymous

Spray some Kroil down the barrel and let it sit there for a day or two. The longer you let it set there the better it works.

southernhunter

yes i did , but it wasnt easy i had the cleaning rod locked down to my atv rack with the brakes locked on the atv, took about 5 all i had hard jerks with both hands on the gun . at that point i was so mad i wouldnt of cared if i riped the whole barrel off "lol" . lucky it didnt and it came free . i found out later "just my luck " that the old t/c barrel had a open chamber just past the rifles and once a patch goes past the rifles then it folds up double on the way out and u know what that means .i want be senting any more patches down that barrel for sure ..

Wobblyshot1

That's definately not a good thing. Hopefully your breech is seated fully and there is no gap between the barrel and breech. This would create a weak spot in the wall of the barrel in an area where you need strength the most.

Have you ever thought about contacting TC to see what they say? I understand their customer service is good.

A

Anonymous

Wobblyshot1 said:
That's definately not a good thing. Hopefully your breech is seated fully and there is no gap between the barrel and breech. This would create a weak spot in the wall of the barrel in an area where you need strength the most.

Have you ever thought about contacting TC to see what they say? I understand their customer service is good.

there customer service is the best thats 1 reason why i own 3 t/c inline

A

Anonymous

if you need any parts for that hawken or you break anything on it at all call t/c any they will sent you a new one no questions ask.

southernhunter

wobblyshot, u ever heard of that gap on the old t/c barrel?? . a guy on another form said it was common on the older barrels but they later changed it on the newer ones.

Wobblyshot1

I can't say for certain, but I do vaguely remember a controversy in the early 70s about them. There was a fella by the name of John Baird(now deceased) who published a strictly traditional ML magazine call "The Buckskin Report". He also wrote a couple of books on the subject of "real" Hawken rifles. Seems O'John gave TC quite a bit of heck, in print, about some of their manufacturing practices...the barrels in particular. I think all this ultimately led to lawsuits. I will remain nuetral on the subject because I have no firsthand experience with any problems, as above stated, with old TCs.

If You feel uneasy about your old TC Hawken, I'd have it checked out by a good gunsmith who has knowledge of traditional MLs. The person I mentioned in the PM does.

southernhunter

i took it out today and it shot really well . i was using 440 ball, pillow ticking .lubed with t/c bore butter and 60 grains of goex 3f. the first two shot was high and to the right at 40 yards but nearly touching . i made a minor sight adjustment and she hit right on the money .. thanks to all for the help and info .i guess i will be taking this one to the woods on saturday good LORD willing . thanks again

A

Anonymous

southernhunter said:
i took it out today and it shot really well . i was using 440 ball, pillow ticking .lubed with t/c bore butter and 60 grains of goex 3f. the first two shot was high and to the right at 40 yards but nearly touching . i made a minor sight adjustment and she hit right on the money .. thanks to all for the help and info .i guess i will be taking this one to the woods on saturday good LORD willing . thanks again

There you go am glad you got it shooting. Good luck this year.

A

Anonymous

I hope to get one this year with my first side lock no scope, the way it should be.

Wobblyshot1

Until yall get some real practice time in and since you're using iron sights I'd recomend keeping your shots at 50 or under yards. You all will do well and good luck Saturday.

southernhunter

i tryed the inlines and they are nice , but last year i went back to my old side lock dad bought me when i was a kid .and killed my first deer with it , now theres no turning back since last year i now own a cva hawkens , t/c hawkens ,t/c cherokee, and a black powder pistol .i just love the old guns .

Latest posts