338 Federal

1buckbuster

Does anyone have any experience with one? I'm looking for a new rifle and I have the itch for a big bullet 200+ grain but I am trying to stay away from the typical big magnums I'm not after velocity just weight any suggestions would be appreciated

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
358 Winchester's a dandy if you want to shoot a 200 grain bullet. Hornady spire points are dandys for a cheap price and you'll have a little more bore size. It has been good for me.

Kimberman

I havent tried one yet, but I like the idea. The only problem with the 338 Fed is you cant handload it to factory ballistics because of the special blend powder Fed uses to acheive the factory ballistics. If you are going to buy only factory ammo for it, then by all means go with the 338 Fed, however if you want to handload, go with the 358.

jmoreland

A friend of mine had a badger barrel made in the 338 Federal (their first one) and fitted to a model 700 action. He is a big time handloader and just got started on it a few months ago. It looks pretty promising though. I will ask him at the first of next week what bullets he is trying right now

CATCHDAWG

If your looking for weight and not so interested in velocity then why not pick a good big bore lever such as a 444, 45-70 or 450? I have a Marlin guide gun in 45-70 that shoots great out to 200yrds with the leverevolution ammo (360grn). They don't get back up when that smacks'em!

.444 Marlin

CATCHDAWG said:
If your looking for weight and not so interested in velocity then why not pick a good big bore lever such as a 444, 45-70 or 450? I have a Marlin guide gun in 45-70 that shoots great out to 200yrds with the leverevolution ammo (360grn). They don't get back up when that smacks'em!

What he said. My guide rifle .45-70 with hand loaded 350gr hornady RN's simply wont allow them to walk after hitting them. The entry hole is massive at or over the bullet diameter and the exit wound on my hog was roughly 2" across.

Locksley

1buckbuster said:
Does anyone have any experience with one? I'm looking for a new rifle and I have the itch for a big bullet 200+ grain but I am trying to stay away from the typical big magnums I'm not after velocity just weight any suggestions would be appreciated

If you are not after velocity then get a 30/06 brass is easy to find and cheap and the velocity with the heavy bullets is better than the 308 Winchester.

Tikkabuck

I have a Tikka T-3 in a .338 Fed. I wanted a .358 so bad I checked into building one right before the news came out about the new Federal cartrige. All I can say is you won't be sorry,mine is awesome. I tried the FEderal ammo and it was fair,but my reloaded stuff is much more accurate. It's not a magnum but it will flat knock the snot out of what ever you point it at,without busting your shoulder. Put some round nose bullets in it and go hunt the thick stuff. I guess you can say I'm sold on the cartrige.

Latest posts