338-06 load found

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
Today was the first shooting session with my new semi-custom 338-06, so sighted in the Nightforce SHV scope and then proceed to do a little load development with RL-17 and 210gr scirocco II's. Found a great node that also grouped well. Think I'll tinker with seating depth a little bit but this load development may be close to complete after less than 30 rounds.

Winchester Model 70 stainless action
PacNor barrel duped to match EW contour
McMillan edge filled stock
Timney MOA trigger

Attachments

• 2F7D6AB6-82D4-45FB-BD30-DB53B36A32D0.jpeg
    2F7D6AB6-82D4-45FB-BD30-DB53B36A32D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80

jlanecr500

I've got a Savage 338 win mag that I bought from Kimber. I ran an OCW with imr4350 and 225gr accubonds that had six charges spanning 1.5gr of powder that all were under 1/2". Talk about a wide node.

mr.big

Daddy had a Cooper 338 06 he left my brother that shoots the 225 AB and rl19 really well.
he killed a bull elk with 1 shot with it

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
What load development method did you use to get there so quickly, Anthony?

I've always been intrigued by that cartridge, but I have seen that it can be almost at 338WM levels or barely better than a heavy 30-06, depending on the particular rifle (fast barrel vs slow barrel, etc). Where is this load falling on that spectrum? How's the recoil compared to those two?

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
What load development method did you use to get there so quickly, Anthony?

I've always been intrigued by that cartridge, but I have seen that it can be almost at 338WM levels or barely better than a heavy 30-06, depending on the particular rifle (fast barrel vs slow barrel, etc). Where is this load falling on that spectrum? How's the recoil compared to those two?
For this rifle I used the OCW method. I use the ladder method for rifles I plan to shoot over 500 yards, as I'm more interested in vertical dispersion at intended range as opposed to estimating based on ES/SD. For shorter ranges, OCW usually lets me get to a nice load rather quickly, although this one was very quick since seating depth doesn't appear to be something I need to tweak (but I'll confirm with a seating depth test anyway). The group above was also smack dab in the middle of the upper node, making this even easier.

This rifle was finished at 23" barrel length, velocity was in the 2750 fps range. It will speed up over the next 50-70 rounds for sure but I'll have to confirm it stays in this node once it does.

Recoil is definitely less than a 338WM and more than a 30-06, although not considerably. It's very similar in recoil to my Remington based smokeless muzzleloader.

Latest posts