3 Bird Limit Next Year

TN Larry

It looks like we will have a statewide 3 bird limit next year except it will be two in the MS River Counties. There was a motion to get it 2 statewide, but the it failed. They are still hung up on reducing the limit to 2 affecting the Southern Mid TN county turkey study.

deerfever

Was watching a little while ago, looks like they cut bonus birds in an amendment. I may be mistaken but looks like 3 is it no matter what you get drawn for. I guess 4 hunts per year on some areas where having a huge impact on turkey population. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think that is what they did about 30 minutes ago.

Southern Sportsman

deerfever":2kh2nn9f said:
Was watching a little while ago, looks like they cut bonus birds in an amendment. I may be mistaken but looks like 3 is it no matter what you get drawn for. I guess 4 hunts per year on some areas where having a huge impact on turkey population. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think that is what they did about 30 minutes ago.

400 hens per year are not enough to worry about when the proposal to protect bearded hens came up. But the 30 people statewide that kill more than 4 gobblers HAVE to be stopped.

deerfever

I agree with you southern sportsman, I told them in my comments it made no sense to cut bonus birds. Cutting all hens and jakes if they wanted to cut something would have made more sense.

Bone Collector

ruger7mag":220zdflk said:
TN Larry":220zdflk said:
ruger7mag":220zdflk said:
No change on season dates?

Only for the Southern Middle and MS River counties.

Ok thanks.

I wish they had just started the whole thing later and ended it by an equal amount of time later thus keeping the season the same amount of time. All this will do is have the S. Mid TN guys north of there for opening morning in the counties that are open, thus increasing the pressure there especially on WMAs.

at least they lowered the limit 1 bird and that should save some.....

TN hunter

Bone Collector":23vczz7n said:
ruger7mag":23vczz7n said:
TN Larry":23vczz7n said:
ruger7mag said:
No change on season dates?

Only for the Southern Middle and MS River counties.

Ok thanks.

I wish they had just started the whole thing later and ended it by an equal amount of time later thus keeping the season the same amount of time. All this will do is have the S. Mid TN guys north of there for opening morning in the counties that are open, thus increasing the pressure there especially on WMAs.

at least they lowered the limit 1 bird and that should save some.....
^^^ Exactly ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackwoodsBoy

It's a start I guess and at least the powers that be realize there is a decline despite the high harvest this year.

I'll give my opinion that I'd like to see the limit at 2 with the season opening a week or two later and the use of decoys illegal.

I'm good with four actually if they just banned the freaking decoys

Southern Sportsman

BackwoodsBoy":2df36sw7 said:
It's a start I guess and at least the powers that be realize there is a decline despite the high harvest this year.

I'll give my opinion that I'd like to see the limit at 2 with the season opening a week or two later and the use of decoys illegal.

I'm good with four actually if they just banned the freaking decoys

In principal, I'm all for this idea. But we can't even get the commission to protect hens during the spring breeding season because it would be "hard" for people to know the difference between a gobbler and a bearded hen. So I'm giving up hope they will ever regulate decoys.

BackwoodsBoy

gobblegrunt":1hoq4wdw said:
Way delay the opener for two weeks in southern Middle Tn?

Unknown, unexplained wild turkey population decline ... a lot of unknowns but the limit should be reduced statewide and some thought put into why? Chicken fertilizer, decoys(especially strutted fans and decoys ), too early of an opener , increased pressure due to social media and public land popularity by "googans"

Southern Sportsman

gobblegrunt":4lstkzpa said:

Short answer - because the vast majority of hens start nesting in late April to early May. If gobbler kill starts too early, it disrupts breeding and may leave an insufficient number of gobblers to breed all receptive hens, thus negatively impacting reproduction. It's even worse in areas with low turkey populations. So delaying the season prevents gobbler kill until most hens have bred and are starting to nest. The Southeast Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies and their considerable combination of world-class biologists recommend timing seasons with the start of peak nest initiation. Tennessee is mostly ignoring that recommendation except for 10 out of 95 counties.

Andy S.

Southern Sportsman":efarmvto said:
gobblegrunt":efarmvto said:

Short answer - because the vast majority of hens start nesting in late April to early May. If gobbler kill starts too early, it disrupts breeding and may leave an insufficient number of gobblers to breed all receptive hens, thus negatively impacting reproduction. It's even worse in areas with low turkey populations. So delaying the season prevents gobbler kill until most hens have bred and are starting to nest. The Southeast Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies and their considerable combination of world-class biologists recommend timing seasons with the start of peak nest initiation. Tennessee is mostly ignoring that recommendation except for 10 out of 95 counties.
What SS said is dead on point. Basically, the resource/conservation agencies/commissions are caving to status quo and the preferences of many hunters (hunt/kill at all costs, regardless of impact on resource), rather than protect the resource and make the hunters adjust, and maybe make a few sacrifices here and there. Turkey species survival over time is very akin to a savings account gaining interest over time; you cannot take, take, take without regard to what the balance is and what the annual interest earnings are that you can expect with time (poults/hen). Simpler way to look at it is we need to guarantee adequate seed (reproduction) and leave some seed (carryover) for next year and out years. We ALL should want to guarantee their is a huntable turkey population in 50 years, that should be our #1 priority, hands down.

Latest posts