.25 06: Considering This for a Bean Field Rifle

UTGrad

I rifle hunt over some open ag fields where shots up to 350-400 yards are tempting and 250-300 yards is common place. I have a Tikka 308 I primarily use on stand in the woods and also over the fields. Longest kill was 250 yards with the .308.

Ive heard high praises for the .25 06 for deer sized game up to 400 yards. I've heard it described as 243 recoil with 270 ballistics which is intriguing. Anyone shooting a .25 06 here in Tennessee? What brand and model rifle? I want to keep it at a 24" barrel.

Thanks

tahtah

I bought a 25-06 over the summer. I haven't killed anything with it yet, but overall like the rifle. Mine is a Remington 700. I've used a 308 for 30?years. I will say, the 25-06 recoil isn't bad, but it's not 243 like. Also, i shoot factory ammo. I'm not finding 25-06 on everyone's shelves and the bullet variety isn't great. One last note. It could be that mine is a Remington, but it prefers Remington ammo.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
25-06 is a great deer caliber, but won't have a substantially flatter trajectory than your 308 up to 400 yards with deer weight bullets. Unless you are just wanting less recoil or to "purpose build" a rifle then I would invest in better glass, good ammo, and plenty of range time to learn dope on your existing rifle.

hunter0925

That 308 will walk all over 400 yards no problem. If you are just wanting another rifle, then by all means buy what you want but, if you are thinking you need another rifle to shoot 400yards at a deer you are listening to the wrong people. If you want a little less recoil and another rifle I,would lean more towards a 6.5 creedmoor or a 260 Remington because of bullet selection as well as there are more factory rifles chambered for those calibers.

huntinkev

I have a ruger m77 25-06. I can't speak for long distance shooting, but I've killed 2 deer with it, I got the gun last year. 1 was about 50 yards and she ran about 30 and dropped. The second was 85 yards and she never took another step. I will say it is the most accurate rifle I have. I shoot 120 gr Winchester PEP bullets and at 100 yards I can fill the bullseye up pretty much touch bullet holes. I wanted to switch to more premium bullets but I don't want to mess with a good thing. I first tried Hornady SST 117 gr and it did not like that ammo. I have never shot a .243 but the recoil is considerably less than a .270....or a 7mm mag :D

DaveB

25.06 will be my next caliber.

The quarter caliber enjoys a lot of success (257 Weatherby and 257 Roberts come to mind) and the bullet choice if you handload is pretty nice-eldx, Partition, Accubond, Sierra tipped gameking, list goes on.

And yes, your 308 will also do well at the same distances.

Best of luck.

Tiny

Nothing wrong as others said with the 308 you have now. or the 2506,which I have never played with have the Roberts n a we bit with WSSM. but not enough to comment on it.

Nobody yet I know of has a long range hunting bullet for the 25s .Berger may..

Point here is to really gain anything have to use the highest bc bullets.. which is why the 6.5 Creedmore is hot to trot at present..
Other wise it dosent offer anything the 6.5 Sweede has been doing for yrs except a short action..
Nor anything the 2506 won't do either..

Get the one you want everybody else opinion n mine be ....

Side note here Uncle recently jumped on the Creedmore Trip.. Ruger American says it very very light on recoil an shot good.
Factory stuff so far n mainly 129 n 125 gr8 offerings not LR bullets.. by the ballistics on the boxes n prior playing with a handful of 264 mags.I haven't shot it or much anything lately.. Reason for my above.

Good Luck n God Bless

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rukiddin

I've killed a pile of deer with my 25/06. My longest shot is 305 yds, dropped center punched both shoulders. I'd guess maybe a dozen between 200-300. Rest have all been <200yds. The only deer I had to track a while was a doe at 240 yds but it was all my fault and not the guns.
Mine is very accurate and the round I shoot is the factory federal 117gr Sierra gameking. I'm yet to find a handload that shoots better than those. Not saying one ain't out there, I just haven't found it.

Hunter 257W

The 25-06 is a great choice for a bean field deer rifle. It shoots significantly flatter than the darling of the long range crowd (6.5 Creedmoore) until you get way beyond the range 99% of hunters will ever shoot at a deer from. High Ballistic coefficients can only do so much with bullets that are started slow and will always arch higher in their trajectory compared to a high velocity standard bullet. What i like so much about the 25-06 is how much deer killing power you get with so little recoil. It was my main deer rifle for quite a few years beginning about 1990 when i bought one of the original Remington 700 ADL's in 25-06. My favorite load was always either the 115 or 120 grain Nosler Partition. Both shot about the same. Accuracy was never much better than 1 1/4 moa but the terminal performance was so impressive that I stopped worrying about accuracy. After all it's a deer rifle, not a crow or groundhog gun where tiny groups really matter. I had quite a few instant kills with behind the shoulder shots using those 25 caliber Partitions. 100 grain Ballistic Tips were the only other bullet I ever shot a deer with in my 25-06 and they worked well too. I've since gotten a different strain of the 25 caliber disease and bought a 257 Weatherby but there's nothing wrong with a 25-06 at all.

alaska_av8r

I have a Tikka 25-06 and love it, longest shot so far though was only 185 yds with double lung punch, pretty good sized doe and it flipped her upside down and she never kicked.

Grill-n-man

Bought a TC venture in 25-06 last year and shooting Federal ammo loaded with Nosler Partition. Took a deer with it the other day and am very satisfied. Buddy of mine has a Sendero in 25-06 and has killed them grave yard dead out to 375yards (confirmed by rangefinder) as well as many at 200 - 300yds. Wanted something with low recoil, fast, and good ballistics without having an odd ball caliber that works on deer, coyote, and kid friendly if needed. Many choices on factory ammo out there to choose from. Found out after getting mine there is a sub culture of 25-06 shooters out there, especially guys in there late 50s and up around here. It's a sleeper round, one of those that doesn't have the walking bill boards shooting it. I don't think you will be disappointed in it.

Talome13

It won't have 243-like recoil unless it's a heavier rifle. I used a 25-06 for a few years. It killed them just like the rest. Would be a good choice for your application, I mainly hunt woods and the 25-06 needs a 24"+ barrel I think, so I didn't like carrying it. A 25-06 Sendero would be one heck of a rifle for what you are describing.

HenryCohunter

I have the Ruger Hawkeye in 25-06 with the heavy contour stainless barrel .. it's topped with a 2.5x 10 42 mm Nikon monarch and it is by far the best shooting gun I have ever had. It's flat shooting with light recoil in that little bit heavier gun and will knock them stone cold dead too 500 yards with the 117 grain Federals as long as I do my part. I love the round it's hard to beat for deer killing.

GMB54

I buddy of mine has killed more deer with his old Mark-X 25-06 than i can begin to remember. My only complaint is its a long action. Given a choice i would rather have a 6.5x55 just for the heavier bullet weight options.

mr.big

I have used the 25-06 since 1977 and the 100 NBT over 56 grs IMR 4831 at 3400 fps since 1989,,zeroed at 300 yards you can hold dead on to 350 ...I have come to like the 6.5mm`s better for the bullet choices and shooting further but the 25-06 is a good 400 yard deer rifle,

Latest posts