22LR ?

Safari Hunt

Marginal at the best. A head shot would risk getting a glancing hit on the skull. I never take a head shot at at squirrel for that reason. Skull is rounded and would be like shooting at a bowling ball. Ricochet City!
Crossbow, maybe?

Safari Hunt

I've heard the thump on yotes using .22LR and .22WMR…
I believe they were good hits and ultimately killed 'em, but they did not fall and I could not find them.
That said, I hope I killed them, but did not want them to suffer.
Made me think of Peter Hathaway Capstick popping small African antelope with a .22 magnum.
Raises a question- How about the .17 RF? Anyone have any experience with varmint hunting with it?

Iglow

Well, my opinion my or may not find favor here, but to me every dead coyote by whatever means equals a fawn or poult that lives next spring. Maybe I should have phrased the question " what is the probability of a yote surviving a chest shot from a 22 LR from zero to 150 yards?" which is about as far as I think I can hit one.

Hduke86

May not be a popular opinion but then again I'm never been the one for a popularity contest. I'd shoot those suckers broadside in the lung and let them run off and die for all I care. Same way bow hunting, if I see one I'll send an arrow through the chest and they run off. I don't even go looking for them cause I surely don't eat them so I'm not worried about "wasting" meat.

Omega

I am not against killing them, but anything I shoot I go for a quick kill, they deserve that much. If you want quite, maybe a downloaded, or subsonic 223, these can be reloaded to reduce the report quite a bit, even without a silencer.

Decibel Chart

Omega

Ammo availability plays into this thread too. Primers are just about impossible to find for reloading. I'm not wasting any centerfire ammo I have on yotes so the 22 is what's left.
.22s can be deadly, but I would limit my shots to under 100, just to be sure. But that's just me. Maybe that is a good time to use reloaded primers, you can make them with roll caps, or purchase some prime all.

Carlos

It would likely take several shots to take one down. (I've seen Foxes require several 22lr rounds.)

I'd recommend practicing the double tap with the 22lr, because they're going to die being shot twice, just might run off and die. That's ok too, just as long as they die.

Latest posts