20hp-1648

Iglow

I'm thinking about a tohatsu 20hp for my 1648 grizzly. It's got a trolling motor, 2 batteries and gas tank, nothing else weight wise. Mostly me and sometimes another person. Y'all think with the right prop it would plane? I'm not looking to go fast, 20 mph tops. The trolling mtr has a quick disconnect mount so if I use it duck hunting that weight plus the battery weight would come out.

Andy S.

I have same boat (2000 model) and have 2000 30 HP Mercury 2 stroke and it will run about 30 with just me and my gear. I always have "just in case" items with me, so my gear may weigh a little more than most. Fun little boat that is applicable for most lakes/rivers in TN, albeit underpowered for my liking on the big river (MS River).

IMG_5593.jpeg

Spurhunter

If a boat is rated for a 40 put a 40 on it. If it's rated for a 400 put a 400 on it. I've never heard anyone regret maxing out the HP but I've heard many many people complain that they went cheap and underpowered their boat. I hunted with a buddy this past weekend that has a 1648 that's rated for a 40 and when he bought it he put a 25 on it. He regrets it every time he gets in the boat.

Grnwing

I have that hull w pods and a 15hp i run 23mph w me 6 gallons gas 2 batteris trolling motor and cooler full of ice. It plans out easily.

Iglow

So.... I got that 30 hp Tohatsu on and started the break in. I idled for 15 min then did a little more, I'm limited to half throttle for 2 hrs. After a few min of 1/4 throttle I went to half and with 2 batteries, a trolling motor, 5 gal of gas, me and Sibby, it jumped up on plane with no problem at all. I think now I could have gone with a 20 hp and saved myself 2k.

MickThompson

So.... I got that 30 hp Tohatsu on and started the break in. I idled for 15 min then did a little more, I'm limited to half throttle for 2 hrs. After a few min of 1/4 throttle I went to half and with 2 batteries, a trolling motor, 5 gal of gas, me and Sibby, it jumped up on plane with no problem at all. I think now I could have gone with a 20 hp and saved myself 2k.
Put a fat boy in the nose and you'll be glad you have the extra 10 ponies

mike52

I've got a 40 hp 4cyl 2 stroke on it now ( 1997 model) . It's fine but wonder how long it will last, gonna retire in a few years and want the boat motor thing done by then.
I have a 1993 Bass Tracker 18 ft tournament pro with a 90 hp Yahama 4 stroke is you would like to go larger