20gs Shooters

chimneyman

Just bought a Franchi Affinity 20ga that i'm going to use this spring. Any helpful hints on chokes, shells for a 20 Thanks

TheLBLman

Federal Heavyweight Turkey Shells in #7
They pack 1 1/2 ounce of their HTL pellets in a 20 gauge shell.
Their #7's will shoot completely thru a turkey's body at over 40 yards, so I see no reason to go with #6's. Pretty amazing to get better penetration than #5 lead, and denser patterns than #6 lead.

Not only are the Federal Heavyweight pellets "heavier" than Hevi-13 pellets, but you get 1 1/2 ounce vs. 1 1/4 ounce, AND a higher velocity with the Heavyweights.

Before you purchase any after-marketed "turkey" choke for your new Franchi, try some of those Federal Heavyweights in your factory full choke. And unless you're using an optical sight, not sure you wouldn't gain more disadvantage than advantage with a tighter choke.

TheLBLman

They will shoot tighter in a Modified than most other turkey loads because of their "flight control" wad. They will shoot tighter in a Full than most other turkey loads. Some say not to use them in a ported turkey choke. I'm using them in non-ported modified, non-ported full, and ported extra-full with nothing but praise.

If a factory full came with your gun, you'll probably be happy with it, and it's probably all you need with #7 Heavyweights.

RutMutt

I ended up going with an Indian Creek .555, shooting the Magblends in my sons 20 ga.. I shot several shot sizes in the Hevi shot and even shot a Federal Heavy #7 before I realized Federal didn't recommend them out of the IC chokes or ported chokes in general. I even heard the Feds have busted ported chokes before.
Anyway, the Feds where ridiculous on paper. Because my 10 yr old son was going to be shooting this gun I ended up using the Magblends because it wasn't so tight. Not knocking the Mags though because they shot awesome too. I liked shooting this gun so well I ended up carrying it last year and even dropped one just a little over sixty yards. Yes 20 ga-60 yrds! I was a bloody mess too not just one or two pellets to the noggin!
I know no one wants to hear about long shots but if you know the capabilities of your gun you will have no problem taking them if you want to or need to.

jlmustain

Wes Parrish said:
Federal Heavyweight Turkey Shells in #7
They pack 1 1/2 ounce of their HTL pellets in a 20 gauge shell.
Their #7's will shoot completely thru a turkey's body at over 40 yards, so I see no reason to go with #6's. Pretty amazing to get better penetration than #5 lead, and denser patterns than #6 lead.

Not only are the Federal Heavyweight pellets "heavier" than Hevi-13 pellets, but you get 1 1/2 ounce vs. 1 1/4 ounce, AND a higher velocity with the Heavyweights.

Before you purchase any after-marketed "turkey" choke for your new Franchi, try some of those Federal Heavyweights in your factory full choke. And unless you're using an optical sight, not sure you wouldn't gain more disadvantage than advantage with a tighter choke.

Do these stats hold the same in the 2 3/4"?

hawglips

Here's what the world's most deadly 20 gauge turkey load looks like at 40 yds (10" and 20" circles).

IMG_0243.jpg

Rockhound

Grizzly Johnson said:
Hawglips, is this the same load SHOOTER uses in his 20ga?

I'm pretty sure shooter cooked up his own formula working off that same load. I'll probably be over that way in a couple weeks, and I'm gonna plan out a hunt where you fellas take me to your honey holes :D

jlmustain

Does the pattern hold with 2 3/4" shells? I have a fixed full 20 that I've never used for turkey, but it'd be cool to use if there's a load that'll hold with it. It won't take above 2 3/4" (well, I shot 3" out of it once, but just because I was curious, ha!).

hawglips

Grizzly Johnson said:
Hawglips, is this the same load SHOOTER uses in his 20ga?

I believe he's using the 2-3/4" 1-5/8 oz variety. The load above is 3" 1-7/8 oz. Most folks are shooting the 3" 1-5/8 oz load, unless they are using a Benelli, and then they are going to the 2-3/4" 1-5/8 oz load, which patterns just as good, as you can see from 8's picture.

hawglips

jlmustain said:
This is an eye-opening pattern! How much of a difference comes with varying barrel lengths?

There's a whole bunch of patterns with these loads, from different guns, chokes and barrel lengths over at Gobbler Nation in the gun forum, small bore section, in the thread "20 gauge TSS combos."