20g Boss Tom 3in 2oz #9 TSS. 870 youth, .562 Sumtoy

megalomaniac

Tried these today at 40y. Very even pattern, although I don't think there is a full 2oz of shot in there. 1078fps thru the chrono.

21in bbl 870 youth compact, .562 Sumtoy.
Boss Tom #9 18g TSS, 2oz, 1100fps advertised. 20220226_143926.jpg
240 10in
238 20in
102 outside the 20in.

megalomaniac

Good even hunting pattern for sure. Assuming density of pellets is the typical 18g/cc, 2 ounces of shot should be 724 #9 pellets.
Correct... this was on a 3ft x 3ft sheet of wrapping paper. I'm sure there were a handful of pellets off the sheet, but not many based on how few were on the edges of the sheet. Prob a few stuck in the cup where the wad went through as well. Not sure there are over 100 stuck in the wad to account for the discrepancy (approx 140 hits missing).

I will say this load has significantly more recoil than typical 1.5oz 1100fps loads.

Andy S.

If it is truly 2 ounces of shot in the shell, the maximized shot string may have a hard time squeezing through the .562 exit diameter, thus blowing the pattern to some degree. A more open choke (.575+) may better handle those 724 pellets as they exit the choke and print them more evenly inside and along the 20" circle, with fewer fliers on the far edges of the paper. For comparison sake, some guys shoot 2 ounces of TSS #9s through a 12G, with .665+ exit diameter chokes. Food for thought.

megalomaniac

If it is truly 2 ounces of shot in the shell, the maximized shot string may have a hard time squeezing through the .562 exit diameter, thus blowing the pattern to some degree. A more open choke (.575+) may better handle those 724 pellets as they exit the choke and print them more evenly inside and along the 20" circle, with fewer fliers on the far edges of the paper. For comparison sake, some guys shoot 2 ounces of TSS #9s through a 12G, with .665+ exit diameter chokes. Food for thought.
Exactly what I was worried about with this .562 choke... afraid I would get a blown pattern with 2oz. But there are SO few hits at the edge of the paper, and the pattern is fairly uniform, there must be some shot stuck in the cup or there wasn't a full 2oz in the load.

This load is a little too stout to hand to my daughter. Her gun is identical but has a .582 undertaker. No point in patterning this shotshell in hers as she will be shooting the Federal reduced recoil loads (1.5oz at 1000fps) regardless.

megalomaniac

Good looking pattern. Is it the same price as apex?
$45 for 5... plus tax. Free shipping if over #100 or so.

I've still got 4 or 5 boxes of federal 9s I paid $25 a box for... going to finish those out in the woods. But since Federal went sky high on their prices this year, I figured I'd stock up on better performing ammo at the same price as Federals.

In years prior, I just couldn't justify paying $10 per shell when the $5 per shell Federals were almost as good. But if im going to pay $10 per shell for Federals vs others, id prefer 240/240 over 210/230 (that's what I get in my particular setup). If Federals were still cheaper, I'd still be stocking up on those.

megalomaniac

Got ya. Was just curious as don't hear much about the boss tss as you do the apex.
I'm a BIG handloader (haven't shot a factory rifle cartridge in over 30 years).

That being said, I couldn't justify taking up more space in my house for a shotshell press and accessories for 8 to 12 shots per year on turkeys. Federal TSS fit that notch when it was reasonably priced . Initially, i thought hard about ordering 10kilos of TSS shot from China at a time and loading my own, but again, couldn't justify when I could get 20g Federals for $25 for 5.... now that Federal almost doubled their price, I was happy to give some USA startup businesses my money. Foxtrot, TSShot, Apex, Boss, Nitro, etc... I just decided on trying BOSS... because their 2oz loads were the same price as others 1 5/8 oz loads. And more pellets is better :)... but I think their 2oz loads are no better/ no worse than the 1 5/8oz loads from other small custom ammo manufacturers.

I will say the quality of crimps on the 5 boxes of Boss ammo I ordered is as good or better than regular factory ammo. Their product is very well made. Zero complaints except its a tad slower than advertised, and 15% less hits on paper than expected. I would be hard pressed to ever want to try another product unless their prices increase significantly in the future.

megalomaniac

I would bet!
To each his own, but just seems so unnecessary.
And it sounds like you gained relatively little in pattern density over the 1 1/2 oz.
Like you said, dead is dead.
:) if im going overkill on $$$, going overkill on the bird :)

For some reason, recoil doesn't bother me at all, so that's not a factor. In fact, I actually somewhat enjoy getting smacked by a hard recoiling firearm. (Im the guy who hunted with a 3.5in 10g 2.5oz payload for 2.5 decades) . That will probably change in the near future after a shoulder surgery or two :)

Last edited:

Levee Jumper

Tried these today at 40y. Very even pattern, although I don't think there is a full 2oz of shot in there. 1078fps thru the chrono.

21in bbl 870 youth compact, .562 Sumtoy.
Boss Tom #9 18g TSS, 2oz, 1100fps advertised.View attachment 130358
240 10in
238 20in
102 outside the 20in.
If the state would just let us use a 7 mag. we could save some money and wipe out the Turkey population at the same time.

megalomaniac

If the state would just let us use a 7 mag. we could save some money and wipe out the Turkey population at the same time.
Turn me and a rifleman loose on a flock of turkeys and I guarantee you I'll kill 20x more than the guy with a 7 mag, with 10x less wounding loss :) cost is irrelevant when it comes to wounding loss.

Roost 1

If Boss offers a shell with a lighter payload, it just might pattern better for you. Just a suggestion.., my guess it that there isn't a full 2 oz of shot in that load. At $9/shell their profit margins can't be much with the ever rising costs of TSS and components.

Rockhound

It's probably light I imagine, but really no telling what the pellet counts are. I bought a pile of federal 3-1/2 tss when they clearance it at $28/box a couple years ago just to rob the shot. Pellets counts in those were around 330/oz. But federal is always light as well by 1/8 oz 3/16oz. The heavyweight 15 shells were always at least 1/4 oz lighter than advertised payload in 10 and 12 gauge.

Latest posts