2011 Season

mathews338

you boys must be hardcore, already thinking about next year

i don't blame you, it was a good season and hopefully next year will be just as good

Setterman

mathews338 said:

i don't blame you, it was a good season and hopefully next year will be just as good

Hardcore is an understatement. I am quickly tiring of deer, just not much of a challenge anymore for me, and it is more passing time then a serious quest.

I don't know what tainted me on the deer, maybe working on deer stuff for too long, killed enough nice deer, the boredom of ambushing, the cold weather, who knows, but one big factor is the craziness of the deer hunting industry. It is completely out of control, and anymore I become enraged when I see a truck pass me on the interstate with some ridiculously big buck sticker gracing the rear window. JUst growing tired of deer.

I love the chess game of turkey hunting, the weather, interacting with my quarry, and hunting something which requires some level of skill to kill most times.

RAFI

Setterman said:
mathews338 said:

Hardcore is an understatement. I am quickly tiring of deer, just not much of a challenge anymore for me, and it is more passing time then a serious quest.

I don't know what tainted me on the deer, maybe working on deer stuff for too long, killed enough nice deer, the boredom of ambushing, the cold weather, who knows, but one big factor is the craziness of the deer hunting industry. It is completely out of control, and anymore I become enraged when I see a truck pass me on the interstate with some ridiculously big buck sticker gracing the rear window. JUst growing tired of deer.

I love the chess game of turkey hunting, the weather, interacting with my quarry, and hunting something which requires some level of skill to kill most times.

I think a mature buck is much harder to come by then a turkey.i could take guys turkey hunting that could get birds but would have a hard time getting a mature buck.If you get set up where the bird wants to go its usually pretty simple to get it but guess the same goes for bucks.lol It is just easier to pattern turkey because they make more noise so you can listen to where they are and go and figure them out.

Setterman

RAFI said:
Setterman said:
mathews338 said:

I think a mature buck is much harder to come by then a turkey.i could take guys turkey hunting that could get birds but would have a hard time getting a mature buck.If you get set up where the bird wants to go its usually pretty simple to get it but guess the same goes for bucks.lol It is just easier to pattern turkey because they make more noise so you can listen to where they are and go and figure them out.
I agree, but to me it is a heck of a lot more fun hunting and killing turkeys then it is deer. Communicating back and forth with turkeys, the chess match of setting up, moving, calling, repositioning etc etc just to get the bird in gun range is a much larger thrill to me then sitting motionless for hours in hopes that a mature buck will wander through. Sure you can call mature bucks, but they are not nearly as responsive as turkeys, and certainly not nearly as consistent with their willingness to talk back.

Other then crossing the magic 170" mark, there isn't much left for me with regards to deer. I will still go, still hunt hard, but the overwhelming thrill of deer hunting just isn't there like it used to be.

mathews338

Setterman said:
RAFI said:
Setterman said:
mathews338 said:

I agree, but to me it is a heck of a lot more fun hunting and killing turkeys then it is deer. Communicating back and forth with turkeys, the chess match of setting up, moving, calling, repositioning etc etc just to get the bird in gun range is a much larger thrill to me then sitting motionless for hours in hopes that a mature buck will wander through. Sure you can call mature bucks, but they are not nearly as responsive as turkeys, and certainly not nearly as consistent with their willingness to talk back.

Other then crossing the magic 170" mark, there isn't much left for me with regards to deer. I will still go, still hunt hard, but the overwhelming thrill of deer hunting just isn't there like it used to be.
i know what you mean and i think that's why i would love elk hunting

RAFI

Setterman said:
RAFI said:
Setterman said:
mathews338 said:

I agree.turkey hunting is a lot more fun to me too up until time to pull the trigger.I enjoy the calling but once I know I have the turkey the thrill goes away for me.its the opposite deer hunting for me.Its boring waiting on them but when I take the shot I get excited and enjoy it more than turkey hunting.

bvoss

The ONLY type of deer of deer hunting for me that even comes close to turkeys is killing a big,mature buck, during the rut. Other than that, its not even in the same ballpark. The chasing, calling to, having them scream at you from 15 steps away, in your face style of turkey hunting will make you sell your deer gear just to buy more turkey crap!

megalomaniac

elk hunting...

hands down the best thing ever. It's just like turkey hunting... except you're after a 600lb animal instead of a 24# animal

bvoss

megalomaniac said:
elk hunting...

hands down the best thing ever. It's just like turkey hunting... except you're after a 600lb animal instead of a 24# animal

I bet its a blast. Thats like a combination of deer and turkey with extra horn and meat thrown in :D

Winchester

Turkey hunting is absolutely different and can be a blast. My boys love it because there are no long sits in the cold. We Turkey hunt strictly run and gun, we never sit in a blind (or anywhere else for that matter) for hours at a time. I like to hunt vocal birds and im constantly on the move. A mature Turkey is much much easier to kill than a mature buck however, and takes a fraction of the time and effort when done right. I do however think that I too have reached a plateau in my deer hunting where its going to take a really special buck to make it in the house and on the wall. I really enjoy killing good bucks, especially with a bow,and have been very blessed over the years, but Im ready to either move it up a notch, or just do things differently! I actually enjoy watching my kids kill most any deer more than I do shooting a decent buck myself! I guess maybe you can actually satisfy the hunger with enough Bones!! lol

Latest posts