2.5 weeks till MS juvie season!

megalomaniac

And I still havent found a tom for my son to hunt :(

Still have time, birds down here are just getting together. Hoping we get some Tom's to shift onto the lease.

We're going to camp out Fri eve Mar 6th and hopefully roost one. If we dont find one, Ethan better be ready for 7 or 8 miles of hiking Sat! I'm ready to do battle with the birds of south MS! Hes ready for his last juvie season (age 15)!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Spurhunter

I don't have a youth anymore, but we are gearing up for March 14th. I'm pulling my camper to Holmes County that Thursday. I'll do a some scouting Thursday and listening Friday morning. My cousin will be in Neshoba County that Friday. Wherever we find the most action is where we'll meet up Friday night. Some opening weekends they really gobble good for us. Hope that will be the case.

Southern Sportsman

I've never thought about it before, but that far south you're deer season must nearly run into turkey season. I've got faith you'll find a bird in time.

megalomaniac

3 week gap between the end of deer season on Feb 15th, and opening of turkey Juvie around Mar 7th.

I pulled 4 cards today aimed at food plots. Had a lone hen yesterday in one cam, and a duo of hens on another cam 2 weeks ago about 1000y away. No Tom's still. Going out in the AM to listen.

I did hear a tom gobble 10 or 15 times a couple weeks ago while deer hunting, but I'm pretty sure it was a domestic bird. Terrible gobble, and sounded like he was in the exact same location as a rooster crowing. I did see 4 wild hens in that general area a month ago, so I will certainly keep an eye on it.

I'm already starting to scope out some public land options on the Desoto National Forest. Part of me wants the challenge...its supposed to be one of the toughest large public blocks in the country to kill a bird. Much of the forest is still unrecovered from Katrina, and populations this far south have plummeted since Katrina destroyed so much old timber.

I broke a toe 10d ago, it still hurts like crazy and my balance is off. Starting to wonder if I will be 100% in another 2 weeks.

megalomaniac

Not looking real good on my local lease... no Turks on camera past week. Hiked and called covering about 600 acres yest afternoon without striking a bird. Got up at dawn this am and didnt hear any roost gobbling, then covered another few hundred acres after fly down without hearing anything.

I'll try again in the am before church to locate a tom, then Ethan and I are planning to camp out next Fri before opening to hopefully roost a bird.

megalomaniac

I covered another 4 miles yest am at sunrise on the lease, no tracks, no gobbles, no scratching. Amazing how a place can go from having 10 or 11 toms on it last year to none this year. Somebody must be feeding nearby pulling them.

Officially started looking for alternatives. I spent the afternoon hiking in the DeSoto National Forest. I didn't strike a bird, but did find some scratching in the bottom of a hardwood drain. The few drains in the area are the only places you can walk upright. The ridges are so thick from Katrina damage to the timber I just don't see how a turkey could live on top. Half of my hiking was spent stooped over picking my way from drain to drain. I've got so many scratches from briers it looks like someone threw me in a shower with 10 wet cats :) Good news is it's only a 3/4 mile hike thru that stuff to get to where the sign is.

megalomaniac

Total bust for the entire weekend except for camping with my son. We had a great time tent camping, building fires, riding the 4 wheeler, cooking hot dogs etc. We got a lot of exercise as well which was also nice.

The highlight of the weekend was finding a single set of gobbler tracks. I was so excited I even took a picture of it.

We covered about 400 acres Friday afternoon looking for a bird to roost... nada. Checked 10 cameras on food plots. Nada. Hiked 5 or 6 miles Saturday covering around 1200 acres. Not a peep, no sign. Probably the first time I've gotten bored turkey hunting and called it at noon. We never even sat down at a spot to blind call, just running and gunning all morning from likely spot to likely spot.

Sunday AM we got up early and covered another 400 acres. Still nothing. At least we had the entire 2000 acres to ourselves. There were 3 other father/sons that had planned on hunting, but none of them showed.

Toms are getting with the hens and hens are just starting to breed here in south MS. Nests should start popping up in another 7-10d. It may be too late for any hens to move onto my lease at this point and pull toms with them. We will probably start getting some roaming toms wandering through mid to late season.

Had a friend take his grandson Sat AM on his farm he lives on where he's seen 3 toms and 12 hens every day since December. He said birds gobbled great on the roost, then never made another sound after flydown. OFC, the flock went the opposite way from their setup once their feet touched the ground.

Spurhunter

megalomaniac":1kadw917 said:
Total bust for the entire weekend except for camping with my son. We had a great time tent camping, building fires, riding the 4 wheeler, cooking hot dogs etc. We got a lot of exercise as well which was also nice.

The highlight of the weekend was finding a single set of gobbler tracks. I was so excited I even took a picture of it.

We covered about 400 acres Friday afternoon looking for a bird to roost... nada. Checked 10 cameras on food plots. Nada. Hiked 5 or 6 miles Saturday covering around 1200 acres. Not a peep, no sign. Probably the first time I've gotten bored turkey hunting and called it at noon. We never even sat down at a spot to blind call, just running and gunning all morning from likely spot to likely spot.

Sunday AM we got up early and covered another 400 acres. Still nothing. At least we had the entire 2000 acres to ourselves. There were 3 other father/sons that had planned on hunting, but none of them showed.

Toms are getting with the hens and hens are just starting to breed here in south MS. Nests should start popping up in another 7-10d. It may be too late for any hens to move onto my lease at this point and pull toms with them. We will probably start getting some roaming toms wandering through mid to late season.

Had a friend take his grandson Sat AM on his farm he lives on where he's seen 3 toms and 12 hens every day since December. He said birds gobbled great on the roost, then never made another sound after flydown. OFC, the flock went the opposite way from their setup once their feet touched the ground.

Thanks for the update! I was hoping it would be more positive. Looks like the weather is going to suck this weekend. Rain off and on (mostly on) from the time I get to camp Thursday night until I leave Sunday afternoon. Guess I should expect it since it's opening weekend.

megalomaniac

We had what I would consider perfect gobbling weather last weekend. Bluebird skies, no wind till 8am, and 34 degrees. In TN, that's guaranteed to get every tom on my places firing off and easy to hear.

This far south, most local long time hunters say the turkeys don't gobble with colder morning temps. I just don't think that is true. But there has to be a turkey in the vicinity to hear a turkey :)

I will probably hit DeSoto Natl Forest this weekend while waiting and hoping some birds shift onto my private lease.

Andy S.

megalomaniac":2xv5qa1b said:
We had what I would consider perfect gobbling weather last weekend. Bluebird skies, no wind till 8am, and 34 degrees. In TN, that's guaranteed to get every tom on my places firing off and easy to hear.
Agreed, my absolute favorite mornings to listen.

JCDEERMAN

megalomaniac":1lsrnuvv said:
This far south, most local long time hunters say the turkeys don't gobble with colder morning temps. I just don't think that is true. But there has to be a turkey in the vicinity to hear a turkey :)
I hunted our place by myself 5 mornings last season. 620 acres - almost 1 sq mile. Had the whole place to run and gun. Never heard a gobble.....only saw 1 hen. LOL all I can do when I look back at these hunts is laugh. This same thought came to my mind constantly around the start of day 3 - "There isn't even a turkey that can even hear me, no matter what I try" :lol:

This wasn't 5 consecutive days....this was 3 weekends in a row - so different weather conditions, different breeding behavior, different feeding patterns, different flocks moving around, etc....

Sure hope this season is different

Southern Sportsman

Mega,

Do you think this is more due to a systemic population issue in your area, or just birds still in winter flocks on other properties? Or some combination?

megalomaniac

There aren't a ton of turkeys in South MS. Katrina destroyed hardwood forests in '05 and the population which was once fairly healthy has since plummeted everywhere. Like other places with low populations, there are small pockets with decent numbers, followed by vast areas without any birds.

This is my 3rd spring on this local lease. The year before I joined, a 70 y/o fellow killed his limit of 3 birds just sitting in a blind and calling occasionally, most came sneaking in silent he killed. My first year on the lease, there weren't any birds except for a flock of 15 hens/jakes. I stumbled into a crazy vocal 2 y/o that came charging in right off the roost and absolutely committed suicide. That was the only bird heard gobbling by myself or any of the other hunters, and was the only bird killed on the lease that year. Last year, and I have no idea why, we were covered up with toms. I had to cover a lot of ground, but was able to hear at least 1 bird gobble every time I hunted the lease. I killed 3, my son killed one, and another member took 1. After the end of the season, there were still 4 LB's using the property, as well as 5 jakes. I saw them fairly regularly until around late Nov/ early Dec, then they all disappeared and have not returned.

I suspect the fluctuation is due to lack of burning. Turkeys LOVE land that has been burned the spring prior. A fresh burn like we had 3 seasons ago can push birds off, but they move back in and use it even more the following spring. Due to unfavorable conditions, the property was not burned last spring, so now the areas that were burned 2 springs ago are getting a little too thick for turkeys. At least that's what I'm hoping is going on.... As much corn gets flinged down here during deer season, I'm hoping they didn't aflatoxin and are now dead. But it's more likely a neighbor has been baiting since deer season and has them pulled off us.

Birds definetly are NOT still in winter flocks. But we don't really have winter flocks down here like in TN. Even in the winter, the norm for a big flock is 4 or 5 hens. Often times you just see single hens in the winter.

Most would say our birds just don't gobble as much... and I used to think that was true. But I've been able to fire up and call in birds without too much trouble once I find them. But I'm not going to sit and blind call in a spot for an hour very often. Just not my style. In the 7 miles we covered this past weekend, my son and I never sat down once. Just kept covering ground running and gunning.

JCDEERMAN

megalomaniac":5lyezhgz said:
I suspect the fluctuation is due to lack of burning. Turkeys LOVE land that has been burned the spring prior. A fresh burn like we had 3 seasons ago can push birds off, but they move back in and use it even more the following spring. Due to unfavorable conditions, the property was not burned last spring, so now the areas that were burned 2 springs ago are getting a little too thick for turkeys. At least that's what I'm hoping is going on.... As much corn gets flinged down here during deer season, I'm hoping they didn't aflatoxin and are now dead. But it's more likely a neighbor has been baiting since deer season and has them pulled off us.
Burning definitely needs to happen more often all over the place. I got certified 2 weeks ago. If it would only stop raining......

Latest posts