1st SD Pheasant Hunt

Roadracer6

So I'll be going to SD at the end of October on a 3 day Pheasant hunt with my father in-law. This will be my 1st time going and I wanted to see if anybody here had some suggestions on upland pants and vest for that area. Most of the hunt will be corn fields/crp/cattails and the standard brush. I'm 100% new to this so figured before I ordered my gear I would try and get some suggestions so I don't waste my time. I don't mind spending some extra money on goof stuff as I'll be doing it yearly in the future.
Thanks!

Hduke86

Can't give any brand names really but I have always been fond of carhartt type canvas bib overalls. Make sure if you go that route to get the reinforced front of the legs type. That way when ripping through brush, briars, and the like it doesn't get torn up. I also wear them around for a little while and wash them to "break in" the legs cause carhartt are mostly stiff when new. I like the overall cause you don't get stuff down your pants and keeps your shirt from getting untucked and they don't fall down when walking in them.

For a vest get one that fits good with what you'll likely be wearing up top. I HATE a baggy vest that catches on things or that feels like it's going to swallow me whole. Also you don't want one fitted to tshirt weather when you may have a thicker jacket. Room for extra shells, water, and the essentials. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking multiple chapstick for not only your lips but your cheek bones if it's crazy windy and cold. Nothing will ruin a hunt like painfully cracked/chapped lips or wind burn face. Some sort of lotion for the face would be ideal. Maybe a backup lightweight "cheap" vest if it gets hot weathered on you. I always wear merino wool leggings so if it's hot I just leave them in the truck but if it's cold I add them under my overalls.

MickThompson

My son went last year.
You will have a blast.
Good comfortable boots are a good idea from what he said.
Exactly what I was going to recommend- boots #1. Good waterproof lace ups. Knee boots are heavy and will just fill up with all the bits you knock loose in your walk.

You can spend a lot of money on bird pants but won't really see the benefit unless you are logging 15+ days in them. And I still haven't found a pair that will stand up to briars or multiflora rose thickets.

As far as vests go, I prefer a strap or backpack style vest over a traditional full one, but if it's cold that doesn't matter nearly as much. You won't need to carry many shells, as you can top off and drop birds after each walk

Bgoodman30

Look up Scheels they have some great upland pants with the stretchy fabric. You definitely want some pants with some movement in the knees.

Latest posts