1st archery season help: what weight broadhead/insert?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I've had my 1st Generation Bear Cruzer for several years now, but have only ever shot targets w/100gr field points. This fall will be the first time I actually hunt archery season—used to have to leave for the start of school semester right before, but now I'm back home for good. Going to replace stretched string and cables before getting back to a practice regimen.

I have 400 spine 8.4GPI Cabela's Stalker Xtreme Arrows (nothing special), and I'm sticking to that arrow for budget reasons. Draw length is 29", shooting anywhere between 60 or 70lbs draw weight. I want to shoot fixed-blade broadheads, leaning towards Muzzy Trocars. But I wonder if my arrow setup permits me to try making a forward-heavy setup with a heavy insert or a heavy broadhead, or if I should stay more conventional for now.

Given all that, what should I get?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I suspected as much. I've got one arrow with a torn fletching, so tearing them off for bare arrow shooting wouldn't be a big deal. Might try it if I can get heavy stuff cheap. Otherwise, might just stay conventional until I do a more serious upgrade of my archery system, altogether.

PickettSFHunter

There's a kit out there with many different weights of field tips. That's the best way to find that sweet spot by bare shaft tuning with those various weight tips and your standard aluminum insets. Once you find the desired weight, back calculate and buy your brass inserts and such if needed. None of this costs much except the arrows if you have to spine up like I did.
https://ethicsarchery.com/products/ranc ... 4934186007

TNDeerGuy

You are not going to like what I am going to say, but you need to enlist the help of a seasoned archery shop, or someone close to you that is extremely knowledgeable about tuning to get you sorted out in the right direction, and save you a bunch of money and time!!! Stay away from most big box retailers with archery shops, and get into an actual archery shop, or if you know a seasoned archer that has the proper equipment for setup and tuning.

To begin with, what poundage are you going to shoot? 60-70 pounds is a wide range and will have dramatic effects on what you're trying to do or accomplish.

As you add weight in the front you further weaken the spine deflection in the arrow. With the information you have already given (29" draw, .400 spine arrow, 60-70lbs, etc...) you are already under-spined as it is shooting a 100gr broadhead. I would highly recommend you give a very strong look at .330-.350 spine deflection if you choose the standard 100gr head, which works fine for most everyone and general hunting setups for this region. If you are going heavier, like 125gr-150gr heads, then I would move to a .300 spined arrow.

Having the correct spine arrow is the second most important part of optimum tuning, next to proper fitment—actually, I personally think it is part of proper fitment. Also, it is far best to be over-spined, instead of under-spined.

TNDeerGuy

Andy S.":11ahlswy said:
^^^^Listen to him. Good to see you back on here TnDeerGuy, was wondering where you been hiding.

Hey Andy! Thanks!
I've been lurking here and there. After 35+ years of the sport, the shoulder and elbow injury bug has "visited" me the last several years, and that has damped the fire a bit. Anyway, had to take some time off and get everything healed up. Hope everything is well in your neck of the woods.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Thanks for the input! I was planning on going to a well-recommended archery shop in Acworth, Georgia for re-stringing. Might have to pick up some new arrows while I'm at it.

swd

TNDeerGuy":2gmcg142 said:
You are not going to like what I am going to say, but you need to enlist the help of a seasoned archery shop, or someone close to you that is extremely knowledgeable about tuning to get you sorted out in the right direction, and save you a bunch of money and time!!! Stay away from most big box retailers with archery shops, and get into an actual archery shop, or if you know a seasoned archer that has the proper equipment for setup and tuning.

To begin with, what poundage are you going to shoot? 60-70 pounds is a wide range and will have dramatic effects on what you're trying to do or accomplish.

As you add weight in the front you further weaken the spine deflection in the arrow. With the information you have already given (29" draw, .400 spine arrow, 60-70lbs, etc...) you are already under-spined as it is shooting a 100gr broadhead. I would highly recommend you give a very strong look at .330-.350 spine deflection if you choose the standard 100gr head, which works fine for most everyone and general hunting setups for this region. If you are going heavier, like 125gr-150gr heads, then I would move to a .300 spined arrow.

Having the correct spine arrow is the second most important part of optimum tuning, next to proper fitment—actually, I personally think it is part of proper fitment. Also, it is far best to be over-spined, instead of under-spined.

I could not have said it better.

Latest posts