100 Brown fish in a morning

bowriter

R.I.P.
I can't spell it. It was a river that ran into a lake that meant axe in Ojbibwe. It was about 25 miles from a fishing camp on the English River in Ontario. We were up there fishing for pike, walleye and muskie on the English.

I happened to mention to the guy that owned camp, one night, that I would sure like to catch some smallmouth. he said I should be ready at six the next morning. We went to this stream and gfished out of a big, freighter canoe with about a 5 hp, Scott Atwater kicker on theback. He paddled.

I caught a fish on the first cast. It would weigh about 2.5 pounds. Then I caught 19 more just like her in 19 straight casts. Robert told me to wait till we got to the good water.

I was casting a black, 1/8 ounce, bear hair jig with chartreusse stripes and a U-2 purple trailer. When I looked, so was Robert. When we got to the good water ??? the weights of the fish went up to 3-4 pounds. Every cast. Every dang cast.

We kept three smaller ones for shore lunch and by noon, I could scarcely lift my arm.

Yes, I have a few pictures. I'll see if I can find them.

catman529

:eek: dang that sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. not easy to come across a fishing spot like that at least around here...

Headhunter

Except for one trip, we have done that every time I have been in Canada. One morning I had 6 smallmouth that were close to 30 lbs, all on a buzzbait. The upper Manitou has tons of huge smallmouth. Rainy Lake does to, just did not catch the numbers there that we did in the Manitou. Another trip is in the planning. My dad took me on my first trip when I was 13, 32 years ago. My dad has been going to Rainy since 1970, nothing like it I promise you.

Football Hunter

Headhunter said:
Except for one trip, we have done that every time I have been in Canada. One morning I had 6 smallmouth that were close to 30 lbs, all on a buzzbait. The upper Manitou has tons of huge smallmouth. Rainy Lake does to, just did not catch the numbers there that we did in the Manitou. Another trip is in the planning. My dad took me on my first trip when I was 13, 32 years ago. My dad has been going to Rainy since 1970, nothing like it I promise you.
On a buzz bait sounds good!

bowriter

R.I.P.
Rainy is well named but it is superb fishing with some of the biggest crappie I have ever seen. You can dang sure get lost on it in a heartbeat.

We camped up there one time for a few days. Had three boats. Towed one jon boat with just food and equipment in it. Camped on some little island, back in a big bay and had a flat ball. There were four of us and I would hate to guess at how many fish we caught. Bass were on buzz baits and the Zara puppy in silver and black. Caught all the crappie on a white 1/16-oz. jig and twister. At some point, it rained avery day.

Latest posts