#1 down, Finally

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
I have been having a tough season this year, I have heard a total of 5 turkeys gobble and this was one of them. Took my girlfriend turkey hunting Saturday morning and heard one gobble I couldn't get too. I was heading to the gate at 9:00 am sort of digusted, gettin burnt out for this year. Long story short we were leaving and she looked down one of the roads on the lease and said "Why dont you just shoot that one?" Looked up and dang if there wasnt a strutter 400 yards down the logging road. :D

Long story short I bellied crawled and snaked my way in and out of a pine thicket and finally got within 100 yards of the turkey. I had called and he wouldnt play the game. They had went behind a rise and I couldnt go any farther, so I slowly peeked over the rise infront of me and saw the turkeys head looking around like a periscope. I called and heard him hammer and before long I could see his tailfan slowly coming over the rise inch by inch, lord here he comes. Shot him at 45 yards. After he topped the rise he came in gobbling and strutting the whole way. He would take 2 steps, blow up and gobble, then come out of strut. He did this the whole way in. I'd call every now and then and he take an extra step or 2. Once he topped that rise at full strut I knew he was a dead bird walking. Only took time.
I left the truck at 9:00 and was back at 10:15
Rhea County bird
10:00 am 45 yards
20 lbs. 9" beard and 1" spurs

IMG_1708.jpg

Latest posts