1.5" Groups from The Accura

UTGrad

I shot three times to hit the bulls eye at 50 yards with my new CVA Accura. I increased the powder charge of Blackhorn 209 to 110 grains with the Barnes Spitfire TMZ 250 grain and shot several groups of 1.5" at 100 yards. This group below was the last of the day after 20 shots with no swabbing!

Halloween2009003.jpg

CVAAccura001.jpg

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
UTGrad said:
I guess this would mean 3" group at 200 yards.

Nope.....some loads will do better and some loads will do worse. It all depends on the stabilization of the bullet. You can always have fun shooting to find out though. :grin:

UTGrad

Whelen Man said:
UTGrad said:
I guess this would mean 3" group at 200 yards.

Nope.....some loads will do better and some loads will do worse. It all depends on the stabilization of the bullet. You can always have fun shooting to find out though. :grin:

I would say that this load has a good chance. There was no bullet tumble whatsoever today.

UTGrad

I am happy with it. I could probably get tighter groups with 100 grain vs 110 grain, but if I need to take a long shot with the Barnes Spifire TMZ, I like having 110 grains of powder and velocity exceeding 2000 fps to get it out there as flat as possible.

UTGrad

I will say this...I was on the bulls eye at 50 yards with three shots the first time out with this gun and grouping 1.25-1.5" at 100 yards within 6 shots. I am confident, just need to make sure I remove the oil before going out to hunt and fouling the barrel with a couple of primers.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
GOHUNT said:
IS this good??? I mean, do most of you consider this to be acceptable with your muzzleloader and stop shooting, ready to hunt?

That's good for most muzzleloaders and better than the majority of hunters out in the field will do. I would adjust the scope another inch to the left and then up maybe an inch or so depending on the ranges I thought I'd encounter while hunting. I don't ever stop shooting though.....there's always a little more accuracy to wring out for next trip. I get just as much or more enjoyment out of the preparation as the hunt.

GOHUNT

Whelen Man said:
GOHUNT said:
IS this good??? I mean, do most of you consider this to be acceptable with your muzzleloader and stop shooting, ready to hunt?

That's good for most muzzleloaders and better than the majority of hunters out in the field will do. I would adjust the scope another inch to the left and then up maybe an inch or so depending on the ranges I thought I'd encounter while hunting. I don't ever stop shooting though.....there's always a little more accuracy to wring out for next trip. I get just as much or more enjoyment out of the preparation as the hunt.

My sentiments exactly...except I don't shoot that much. With a muzzleloader, I've certainly settled for a group not as tight as shown here, but wasn't happy about it. I've posted on here this recently that I was shooting my best groups ever with a muzzleloader.
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... =0&fpart=1

jakeway

UTGrad said:
I am happy with it. I could probably get tighter groups with 100 grain vs 110 grain, but if I need to take a long shot with the Barnes Spifire TMZ, I like having 110 grains of powder and velocity exceeding 2000 fps to get it out there as flat as possible.

Did you chronograph this load? If not, you really don't know what (if any) difference the 10 grains of powder will make.

I know that with my TC Triumph, I got exactly the same size groups with the same point of impact with 100 gr or with 110 grain. The only reason I'm shooting 110 grain is I bought a couple boxes of 30 grain pellets at about 75% OFF. I'll shoot two 30s and one 50 till the pellets are gone, then I'm going back to loose powder.

Back in the old days, when I shot primitive shooting matches with the mountain man club, my 50 calibre percussion rifle's two best accuracy loads with patched round ball were 95 grains and 39 grains ffg. No idea why. I shot the 39 grain loads for the targets at 25 yards or less, and the 95 gr load for longer competions and for deer hunting.

Ever shoot a squirrel with a 50 caliber? I've tried it three times and got all the squirrels. Sure makes mush of their heads!

GOHUNT

[/quote]Ever shoot a squirrel with a 50 caliber? I've tried it three times and got all the squirrels. Sure makes mush of their heads! [/quote]

Uhhh, I didn't think you were suppost to shoot for the head??? I though you were suppose to aim for the limb right under their head, you know, bark'em, so you could still eat the brains???