• deer 1.jpg
    deer 1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 3,719
  • deer 3.jpg
    deer 3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 3,721

huntforme7909

TN Whitetail Freak":36eiic6u said:
How can this be!!!! TN doesn't have the soil to get these quality bucks....I'm confused

:lol: that's what they say.....Kentucky has the infamous soil....don't know how these deer ever come from Tennessee....and these are just a few....lol

BSK

huntforme7909":mlasqor2 said:
TN Whitetail Freak":mlasqor2 said:
How can this be!!!! TN doesn't have the soil to get these quality bucks....I'm confused

:lol: that's what they say.....Kentucky has the infamous soil....don't know how these deer ever come from Tennessee....and these are just a few....lol

Absolutely correct. Large parts of KY have good soil and most of TN doesn't. All of the above pictured bucks are GREAT bucks, and most of us would be thrilled to have killed any one of them. But how many NET 170s were in those pictures? THAT is what KY is becoming famous for--because of their soils.

TN can and does produce a fair number of 150 and 160 gross bucks. It just doesn't produce many 170+ net bucks, primarily due to soil.

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

BSK":2vby1x36 said:
huntforme7909":2vby1x36 said:
TN Whitetail Freak":2vby1x36 said:

Absolutely correct. Large parts of KY have good soil and most of TN doesn't. All of the above pictured bucks are GREAT bucks, and most of us would be thrilled to have killed any one of them. But how many NET 170s were in those pictures? THAT is what KY is becoming famous for--because of their soils.

TN can and does produce a fair number of 150 and 160 gross bucks. It just doesn't produce many 170+ net bucks, primarily due to soil.
exactly and its getting better in Kentucky too

Land Between the Lakes

jaybird62":2nrekz5e said:

163 gross 15 pointer with 7 1/4- and 7 1/2-inch bases. Killed in 2007 in Madison County. This buck had slipped in behind me in response to a grunt call just after daylight, and he spooked when I turned around and saw him at 30 yards. I stood up and swung around put the crosshairs on the next opening that was about 2 feet wide at 95 yards. He was at a wide open trot with 3/4 of his body below the crest of the hill when the Model 7 spoke. I hated that I never weighed him because he had the biggest body of any buck I've ever killed (I've killed three that weighed 225, 230 & 240).

156 gross 12-pointer. Also killed in 2007 and had to pack him 4 1/2 miles to the nearest road on the Cherokee NF.

145 gross 10-pointer. Killed in 2015 in Marshall County.

Although this deer won't score well, I was very excited to kill him in 2009. I hunted this buck hard from the muzzleloader opener to when I killed him on December 4, 2009 in Hickman County. He weighed 190 pounds field dressed and was 5 1/2+. He had been shot the previous season, but survived, causing him to only grow a spike on one side. The good side has a 26-inch main beam and scores 71 for that side. He carried a 160-class rack the previous season, and the joke was on me when I walked up to him and put my hands on his rack.

Great bucks. Taking a buck that large on a public land as big as the Cherokee National Forest is very impressive.

Trnr

Best I've "seen" so far...was told that he was shot during gun season, but that hasn't been verified. Hopin he made it! East TN buck btw.

Attachments

• IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 5,067
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 5,066

Jmed

First one is the highest scoring from Marion 146", second is the oldest/ heaviest from Putnam County. Both from unfertile mountain ground!

Attachments

• Kingcropped.jpg
    Kingcropped.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 4,997
  • me_and_the_bigun_resized.jpg
    me_and_the_bigun_resized.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 4,999
  • 12-1-12tndeerresize.jpg
    12-1-12tndeerresize.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 5,001

Latest posts