who would be interested in a 1 buck limit

mike243

knightrider":1cf0qqkp said:
gobblesandgrunts":1cf0qqkp said:
Just personal preference, neither one is more right or wrong than the other, I only bow hunt and would like to see gun season shortened. I know A LOT of people gun hunt and that's their own choice. But as for me, I'd like a shorter gun season

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
and I want to hunt with my gun as long as you can hunt with your bow
Why do so many folks that want a 1 buck limit want to reduce time to hunt? is this another attempt to grow bigger bucks by limiting every body else in the state? you cant hunt my property so why limit me to benefit you? set a limit then open season, use the rock bow or gun you want. No 1 method should get priority over another unless its a safety issue . keep advocating cutting out any section of hunting time only plays into the hands of folks that don't understand and or like hunters. If you are tired of hunting go ahead and clean your equipment up and go play golf but don't assume I am done for the year! as far as I know dropping the limit hasn't raised the bar the buck size on average, does anybody have the stats to show where the hunting has improved due to reduced limits? how about hunter satisfaction? I was under the impression that twra was to maintain the herd at a sustainable level while providing maximum hunting opportunity's. I firmly believe that the WMA's should all be set as strict requirements for bucks like Catoosa, then the folks who really like that style of hunting can have at it. that way it wont impact the majority of the hunters in the state. ymmv

MUP

I think it's funny that some folks think a 120"+ 8 pt is "small" or not worthy of shooting. :D Truly to each their own I suppose. What happened to the "mature" aspect of the buck? I've killed a few 4yr old 110" 8 pts myself btw. They're nice bucks around where I hunt, so I guess I'm just not in a good area.

catman529

MUP":incz0ov1 said:
I think it's funny that some folks think a 120"+ 8 pt is "small" or not worthy of shooting. :D Truly to each their own I suppose. What happened to the "mature" aspect of the buck? I've killed a few 4yr old 110" 8 pts myself btw. They're nice bucks around where I hunt, so I guess I'm just not in a good area.
on a statewide level that's a stupid thing to say, but on certain properties a 120" 8 point is small. People get caught up in their own bubble because they got a good spot to hunt, and then think everyone else in the state should have lower limits so their neighbors don't shoot the young ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MUP

You're exactly right catman, stupid to want to impose your wants on the rest of Tennessee, that's exactly how I see it. It's just like making coffee at work, we have a guy, from California actually, that will come in and add a 1/4 pot of water to the pot before brewing the rest of it, in effect watering down the whole pot, when there's a little hot water spout right there on the coffee maker to dilute each cup to everyone's own taste, but this guy wants to water down EVERYONE'S coffee to suit HIS personal taste. Yea, you hit the nail squarely on the head, stupid.

Matador

MUP":8te7tllw said:
Agree Mup I hunt Shui-in-Gap up above you and it is rare to see 130-140 inch buck. That doesn't mean there are no mature bucks. I'm no different than other hunters, if I get a chance I will kill a good scoring buck. I like a buck that goes 200 lbs plus. Not many of them either, but I run across more of them then I do 130-140 in this area.

BULL MOOSE

MUP":3u024b5l said:
You're exactly right catman, stupid to want to impose your wants on the rest of Tennessee, that's exactly how I see it. It's just like making coffee at work, we have a guy, from California actually, that will come in and add a 1/4 pot of water to the pot before brewing the rest of it, in effect watering down the whole pot, when there's a little hot water spout right there on the coffee maker to dilute each cup to everyone's own taste, but this guy wants to water down EVERYONE'S coffee to suit HIS personal taste. Yea, you hit the nail squarely on the head, stupid.

Has anyone had a conversation with this guy yet?

Hunter 257W

MUP":1k038vvy said:

I was thinking the same thing. I've never seen nor photographed a buck that would measure 120" in my area and that goes all the way back to 2004. That would be the buck of a lifetime for me if antlers really mattered that much to me. :D

MUP

BULL MOOSE":2em8h1n3 said:
MUP":2em8h1n3 said:

So far it's just catman and myself in this particular conversation. I get called "stupid" and I'll, at the very least, reply to it.

BULL MOOSE

MUP":21t0j5sa said:
BULL MOOSE":21t0j5sa said:
MUP":21t0j5sa said:

So far it's just catman and myself in this particular conversation. I get called "stupid" and I'll, at the very least, reply to it.

:) The coffee man! Has anyone told him to stop doing it?

MUP

Ohhhhhh! Well, that's an ongoing saga. I'm trying to get the TWRC involved. :D I mean, who really needs more than two cups of joe per day anyway? I only drink one, two on a rough morning, so that should be enough for anyone. Don't need to strain our Columbian resources. :mrgreen:

ZachMarkus

I consider myself a trophy hunter but will never support a one buck limit. I never was an advocate of the two buck limit, I liked it at three just fine. I can't stand the thought of having several mature bucks to hunt and shooting one on the velvet hunt or on opening day of bow season and not being able to buck hunt the rest of the year. If you want a 1 buck limit only shoot one buck, no one is making you shoot two.

ZachMarkus

MUP":efwymho4 said:

Agreed, I'd say in TN the AVERAGE mature buck will score around 115"

catman529

MUP":2r4qm2zi said:
BULL MOOSE":2r4qm2zi said:
MUP":2r4qm2zi said:

I wasn't calling you stupid MUP. I was agreeing with what you said about what some people say about passing a 120" buck, which is stupid.

FLTENNHUNTER1

You want to start seeing bigger bucks in Tennessee? Start cutting off the trigger fingers of poachers. We should go back to 3 bucks a year minimum.

megalomaniac

I've been under a self imposed 1 buck limit for anyone hunting my properties for about 5 years. Yes, it absolutely does work recruiting more bucks and esp more top end middle aged bucks to maturity. That being said, I thin 2 bucks statewide is a decent compromise to accommodate all types of hunters in allowing them to reach their personal goals.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

TN Larry

I would never support a 1 buck limit even though I only hunt older bucks. I think 2 is a fair compromise. There are plenty of mature deer to hunt in TN even when we had the 3 buck limit. There may not be plenty on some properties just like a 120" deer may be "small" on other properties, but statewide there are plenty of good deer without a 1 buck limit. Killing them is another story.........:)

savageman

My dad would take me squirrel hunting when I was young. our goal was to kill squirrels.
That is how I deer hunt. I kill deer. I would as soon shoot a doe as a buck. A 4 point is as good as an 8 point for me. I think we would have a healthier deer herd in Tennessee if more hunters shot more deer. I would be happy to see a 3 buck limit. It would allow me to hunt more days here in unit C. (I shot a 4 pt and 5 pt during bow season)doe season ends early in unit C.

Grill-n-man

Well at least it aint another CWD thread

Questions for the 1 buck limit crowd
1 - So your perfectly fine with a 1 buck limit huh. Then why do you travel to other states to hunt as well? If one buck per year is all a hunter is supposed to be allowed to kill then why are you spending whatever money and taking whatever time it takes to kill more than your one? Sounds a little hypocritical for you to feel that I should only be allowed one. I mean if one is enough why are you going elsewhere?
2- Ever heard of genetics, habitat, food, water, herd density, sustainable land, etc? You know its all the things needed to achieve the goal your wanting in the world of reality.
3- Reducing the limit is a mathematical equation unsupported by facts that will only work in fantasy land
4 - Trophy hunting doesnt work in Tennessee. How many years now has the part in Tennessee that is now Unit L needed a higher reduction in the overall herd population, especially does? I can remember for almost 40 years now and counting.
5 - Why does Tennessee now and has had for sometime now multiple different regions with different bags limits and at times different season dates? Cause statewide trophy hunting doesnt work.
6 - Why doesnt Tennessee cater to the trophy hunter? Well for now, based on scientific and biological data trophy hunting doesnt work.
7 - This is the most important. Why is it you cant just hunt the way you want and let others hunt the way they want?

muddyboots

Very good point on the average size of mature buck. Most people that say they pass 120 inch bucks in reality are passing 90 inch bucks. A mature 120 inch buck in Tennessee is a fine animal. Ill be happy to kill 2 of them. I like the 2 buck limit. I think its a good compromise. It has really helped my lease changing from 3 to 2.

Latest posts