who would be interested in a 1 buck limit

eddie c

Disclaimer: I am typing while under pain meds for oral surgery this morning.

When I read the title, my first thought was NOT AGAIN!
Tennessee has some of the longest deer seasons in the country. Why does anyone in their right mind want to muck with it. Leave it the h e double toothpick alone and if anyone wants a 1 buck limit self impose your own limit.
Muck around with the current layout and TWRA will liable make it all weapons from start to finish, shorten seasonand we'll be wearing orange vest through the whole thing.

medwc

catman529":1bn2mn9m said:
I've never heard anyone with good knowledge of deer biology support earn-a-buck. That's a quick way to kill too many does just so people can shoot a buck.
I would say you have never hunted Fort Campbell. Oh wait,,, you said with "good knowledge of deer biology". Nevermind...

:stir:

I hunt only Fort Campbell and LBL. That is my two bucks if I get two. I had a lease about 10 years ago but still never killed more than two bucks a season. I would be ok with a one buck limit if that was the law but I am very happy with two or more.

Jcalder

There's quality bucks out there now and there was with a 3 buck limit. All this whining around does nothing. Biggest thing we've all had to learn is letting them get some age. For years I shot the first one I seen. I've gotten more lucky and since I have I'm seeing better bucks. It done 2 things for me and the herd I hunt. They're getting older and I'm putting more time in the woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matador

WTM":1ddywomp said:
Matador":1ddywomp said:
Aaaah! You can tell the season is getting closer. I vote 3 buck. If CWD keeps spreading we may get more than that.

so we should kill more bucks than does in CWD zones?
Didn't say that but believe they can possibly kill more than 3 bucks in the CWD unit this year.

Stu

I can see your point but problem in TN is lack of hunters. Im from PA and they sell over a million deer licenses a year so a 1 buck limit is a must there. Here TN is lucky to have 120k hunters. So thats why we have the bag limits we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeepKuntry

Not in favor of lowering the buck limit. I would be ok with the doe limit dropping. We still haven't recovered from the 2017 ehd outbreak. I will shoot 1 doe, but after that I am out for a big buck.

THEdonkey0515

Alot of times when I talk to someone in person that is in favor of a one buck limit saying it will give him a better chance to kill a monster, and make bucks bigger all around. Usually that said person Is hunting on a big nice private pieace of land. That private land is where they do 90% of there hunting may go to a WMA or hit state a weekend or two out of the season.

So I always ask why not just manage your private farm/lease whatever it may be the way you want to, and try to grow the type of deer your after there? Sometimes it's like a light bulb goes off in there head, other times thats not good enough. They think somone killing a 6pt 40 miles away hurts there chances of killing a booner on there private farm.

Ladys man

2 bucks is perfect, I have never tagged out on bucks in a season, but if I was to shoot quick/misjudge a deer I dnt want my hat rack season to be over. That being said 2 deer in my freezer last me until the next season. But that being said once I have 2 in my freezer does not mean the end of my hunting season.

Leave it at 2.

WTM

Ladys man":1ro0m2bj said:
2 bucks is perfect, I have never tagged out on bucks in a season, but if I was to shoot quick/misjudge a deer I dnt want my hat rack season to be over. That being said 2 deer in my freezer last me until the next season. But that being said once I have 2 in my freezer does not mean the end of my hunting season.

Leave it at 2.

so did the deer processing video help or did you try to process any this year?

Crow Terminator

THEdonkey0515":15i2uh0l said:
Alot of times when I talk to someone in person that is in favor of a one buck limit saying it will give him a better chance to kill a monster, and make bucks bigger all around. Usually that said person Is hunting on a big nice private pieace of land. That private land is where they do 90% of there hunting may go to a WMA or hit state a weekend or two out of the season.

So I always ask why not just manage your private farm/lease whatever it may be the way you want to, and try to grow the type of deer your after there? Sometimes it's like a light bulb goes off in there head, other times thats not good enough. They think somone killing a 6pt 40 miles away hurts there chances of killing a booner on there private farm.

In every case I know of when people attempt to do that on private land, the people on the surrounding/bordering land are opposed to it and kill everything. We tried it on my place for several years. Most of the surrounding land was off limits to other people hunting so that let us be in control of around 1,000 acres. We were seeing good results from it. The problem was...people driving down the road could see the bachelor groups of big bucks in the summer and it got everybody trying to hunt in this area. Big racks make people start throwing out big money to hunt. That got some guys in on one of the tracts that joins me. They killed everything that walked. Since then, I haven't saw or had a deer over 2 yrs old on camera in about 10 years. There at one time it was common to sit in the stand and see several nice 8 and 9 pointers in the 120 class....2 -3 yr olds. Now we can't even get a picture of one. They kill em before they get that big. Ain't nothing that can be done about it.

Shanman

For me personally, I'm not shooting a buck unless I'm willing to spend the money to have it mounted, I get nothing out of seeing smaller racks laying around dust covered. In my younger days when I was in kill mode antlers didn't get to walk off, that all changed about 20 years ago when I realized that I could learn more from watching a live animal than a dead one. You could probably categorize hunters into groups from "Brown and down" to Trophy hunter" and everything in between, you would get just as many opinions on this subject. Bag limits are like locks.....they keep an honest person honest, with the online check in system there's no way all the bucks are being counted. I'm not for earn a buck at all, if I'm driving hours away to target larger bucks I'm not about to waste my time on does at all. If the does need thinned then it's as simple as raising the bag limit on them or offering more hunts. Antler restrictions are good but only at a higher standard in my opinion. Catoosa is a prime example, antler restrictions are in play but the majority of bucks being harvested there are the young bucks with the better genetics, these are exactly the ones that you want to see progress to the next age class. I'm good with 2 bucks and don't want to see it fall to 1 or rise to 3. This allows private land trophy hunters to cull a buck and not end their season, it gives kids and people new to hunting an opportunity to harvest more than just 1 buck a season, and with some WMAs quota hunts being a bonus buck the average hunter still has the chance to kill 3. I set my standards knowing full well not everyone will agree with me, but I wouldn't want to take away from how they enjoy the hunt and what a trophy is to them.

Stay with 2 bucks......

catman529

Crow Terminator":6eooywgj said:
In every case I know of when people attempt to do that on private land, the people on the surrounding/bordering land are opposed to it and kill everything. We tried it on my place for several years. Most of the surrounding land was off limits to other people hunting so that let us be in control of around 1,000 acres. We were seeing good results from it. The problem was...people driving down the road could see the bachelor groups of big bucks in the summer and it got everybody trying to hunt in this area. Big racks make people start throwing out big money to hunt. That got some guys in on one of the tracts that joins me. They killed everything that walked. Since then, I haven't saw or had a deer over 2 yrs old on camera in about 10 years. There at one time it was common to sit in the stand and see several nice 8 and 9 pointers in the 120 class....2 -3 yr olds. Now we can't even get a picture of one. They kill em before they get that big. Ain't nothing that can be done about it.
sounds like your 1000 acres needs habitat improvements and more selective hunting pressure. I see big bucks on public land where people travel hundreds of miles to shoot yearling bucks. The habitat is where it's at. Give the deer a place to hide and survive the season, only hunt the right spots at the right time if you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts