who would be interested in a 1 buck limit

Crow Terminator

catman529":3tx9wbdn said:
Crow Terminator":3tx9wbdn said:
In every case I know of when people attempt to do that on private land, the people on the surrounding/bordering land are opposed to it and kill everything. We tried it on my place for several years. Most of the surrounding land was off limits to other people hunting so that let us be in control of around 1,000 acres. We were seeing good results from it. The problem was...people driving down the road could see the bachelor groups of big bucks in the summer and it got everybody trying to hunt in this area. Big racks make people start throwing out big money to hunt. That got some guys in on one of the tracts that joins me. They killed everything that walked. Since then, I haven't saw or had a deer over 2 yrs old on camera in about 10 years. There at one time it was common to sit in the stand and see several nice 8 and 9 pointers in the 120 class....2 -3 yr olds. Now we can't even get a picture of one. They kill em before they get that big. Ain't nothing that can be done about it.
sounds like your 1000 acres needs habitat improvements and more selective hunting pressure. I see big bucks on public land where people travel hundreds of miles to shoot yearling bucks. The habitat is where it's at. Give the deer a place to hide and survive the season, only hunt the right spots at the right time if you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My place hasn't been hunted other than Juvy weekend since 2014. I let a guy from church hunt with his little boy, and he has killed one doe. I gave a guy I work with permission to hunt and he came out once to scout but our work load peaks in the fall so he never had time to hunt it. Back in the day, during the summer you could sit on the porch in the evening and see the deer come into our soybean fields and get a good idea of what was in the area. In the rut we always had the surprise bucks that would show up on camera cruising around looking for does but for the most part, we could see a general view of the caliber deer we had. One year around 2009-2010, there was a bachelor group of some really nice bucks. You could drive the local roads in what I call "the loop" and see them fairly regularly and they were frequently in our fields too. Two of them got shot from the road...one was caught redheaded doing it. A neighbor killed one of the others. That's been it as far as sightings. You can see lots of does and small young buck bachelor groups but nothing to raise an eyebrow. I started running cameras about 4 weeks ago and all I have on there so far are lots of does, fawns, and a 4 pointer running with a spike. There were some days in the mid 2000s where it was a bad sit if you only saw 9 or 10 deer. I do know the surrounding area gets hammered now. There were only 3 or 4 landowners that butted up to my place. They've all died over the past decade. Their land sold and now new people own it and people do hunt it or let others hunt too. I don't mind so much these days but it was nice to go in the woods and at least see deer or decent sized bucks.

One thing I will say...when we did have the statewide restrictions...there were a lot of bucks shot and left laying cause nobody wanted to tag out. The road over from me was and is a popular dumping ground for deer carcasses. There were a bunch that were dumped there that had antlers sawed off and backstabs cut out. I bet you $100 bill that most were not checked out.

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

AT Hiker":3pa7qol2 said:
Off the top of my head I think I'd rather have a 1-buck per weapon season (3 total) vs a 1-buck overall.

I hunt KY and a lot of other "1-buck" states and I really like it but....not everyone is able to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel the same way

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
If I were to recommend any change to our deer season, it would not be to the season itself, but I'd do away with the special season antlerless permit and add a number of does to the big game gun license. I know plenty of folks that will not buy the permit, but if there were does allowed on the big game gun just like on the archery and muzzle loader tags, they'd shoot some does. Especially in Unit L and CWD. I understand that some zones can only handle so many does killed, and you may have a restriction by unit number, but I think they do need to allow for does on the BGG license.

Mike Belt

Advocating a 1 buck limit or an 11 buck limit both seem to involve people that are out to satisfy their own desires. Neither will work for the other. Those that want an opportunity at an older and usually larger buck would tend to opt for a 1 buck limit providing them a better opportunity at doing so. Those that choose to shoot any buck lean towards more opportunities at any buck so the higher the limits the better...in the short term anyway.

Personally, I don't know of anyone that prefers a 1 buck limit. Me included. I think the 2 buck limit is a great compromise between 1 and 3 bucks per season. It allows for any hunter to take any buck and then to hold out for the second or to take the first 2 bucks he sees if he desires. This doesn't put too much of a drain on the remaining buck population for the following seasons. If the possibility of a 1 buck regulation came into play I'd probably still advocate for 2 bucks with the second having size restrictions.

The real problem I see in the areas I hunt is not directly with the buck population as much as the doe population. It takes does to generate bucks. With blanket policies and the 3 doe/day regulations in those areas the populations are held much lower then the carrying capacity would allow. Fewer does equates to reduced buck opportunities. If I had the power I'd be looking at that side of the equation rather than reducing the buck regulations as they are now. Of course everything is site specific. With Tn broken down into 3 Units I don't know how to address that problem short of revamping the system.

gobblesandgrunts

Just personal preference, neither one is more right or wrong than the other, I only bow hunt and would like to see gun season shortened. I know A LOT of people gun hunt and that's their own choice. But as for me, I'd like a shorter gun season

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mike243

1 a day would be ok, just how dam many is enuff or 2 many, 3 seemed fine to me, then the trophy hunters got it dropped to 2 because they are sorry ass hunters and think this will put a big buck behind every tree, I knew when 2 didn't work they would be after a 1 buck limit, what will they do when CWD kills all of them?

gobblesandgrunts

mike243":1vu2d2nt said:
1 a day would be ok, just how dam many is enuff or 2 many, 3 seemed fine to me, then the trophy hunters got it dropped to 2 because they are sorry ***** hunters and think this will put a big buck behind every tree, I knew when 2 didn't work they would be after a 1 buck limit, what will they do when CWD kills all of them?
Good lord, why talk bad about trophy hunters? Why cant everyone just hunt hiw they want to and it be ok?

Jcalder

gobblesandgrunts":20kjyc8p said:
mike243":20kjyc8p said:
1 a day would be ok, just how dam many is enuff or 2 many, 3 seemed fine to me, then the trophy hunters got it dropped to 2 because they are sorry ***** hunters and think this will put a big buck behind every tree, I knew when 2 didn't work they would be after a 1 buck limit, what will they do when CWD kills all of them?
Good lord, why talk bad about trophy hunters? Why cant everyone just hunt hiw they want to and it be ok?

that's what everyone said every time the limit was dropped lol.

No one can mind their own business and hunt the way they want. Seems it's a competition nowadays as to how big an animal is, or longest shot, or shortest, who strictly bow hunts or who takes a grenade launcher. If a man wants a shorter season he should get out of the woods after thanksgiving. I like the flexibility myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEdonkey0515

mike243":a84cizal said:
3 was to many now 2 is to many ....if it ever gets dropped to 1, and they realize they still not seeing record bucks running every direction they will be calling for a 1 buck antler Restriction rule.

arkwaterfowler

Hunting is supposed to be fun right? What about the young hunters wanting to satisfy their blood lust like we all did? I have killed 3 bucks in the last 6 seasons. I still don't want to be done if I make a mistake on a 120 inch 8 in the fog. Leave it alone and beware of a government that gives you everything you want.

infoman jr.

arkwaterfowler":2jw9xtzw said:
Hunting is supposed to be fun right? What about the young hunters wanting to satisfy their blood lust like we all did? I have killed 3 bucks in the last 6 seasons. I still don't want to be done if I make a mistake on a 120 inch 8 in the fog. Leave it alone and beware of a government that gives you everything you want.
Ha. I thought I was seeing a different (and much bigger) buck and shot a 120" 8 point on the second weekend of the season a few years ago. Burned my only buck tag in KY. :lol:

knightrider

gobblesandgrunts":yrc96oat said:
Just personal preference, neither one is more right or wrong than the other, I only bow hunt and would like to see gun season shortened. I know A LOT of people gun hunt and that's their own choice. But as for me, I'd like a shorter gun season

and I want to hunt with my gun as long as you can hunt with your bow

gobblesandgrunts

knightrider":3fyqbw5i said:
gobblesandgrunts":3fyqbw5i said:

and I want to hunt with my gun as long as you can hunt with your bow
Right personal preference, exactly what I was saying