Something different

megalomaniac

Bird I killed Tues morn I deboned and coarse ground all the meat (white and dark combined). Added 25% coarse ground Boston butt, half the recommended amount of breakfast sausage spice mix and then fine ground it all to further mix. Stuffed into 17mm clear collagen casings and they are probably the best lowfat breakfast links I've ever had! My wife won't eat wild game (some psychological defect in her DNA), but she tried it and agreed its the best breakfast sausage she has tasted.

Have another in the freezer that is going to become Bratwurst in the next week!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240517_092528_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_092528_Gallery.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 9

Jbird22

Had a buddy get sausage made out of wild turkey breast a few years ago. I was skeptical when he gave me a pack to try but can honestly say it was good stuff. I bet your adding pork fat put it over the top!

hbg1

I personally would never waste turkey meat into sausage but that sounds good.

megalomaniac

Had a buddy get sausage made out of wild turkey breast a few years ago. I was skeptical when he gave me a pack to try but can honestly say it was good stuff. I bet your adding pork fat put it over the top!
Not that much pork fat really. I took the untrimmed boston butt and ground it all together (fat cap with muscle meat). I suspect the pork mix is probably 1/3 fat and 2/3 meat. I saved what little fat was on the turkey and included it as well, So overall, the sausage links are probably around 10% fat total. They are crazy lean, but still hold together well and are not dry.

megalomaniac

I personally would never waste turkey meat into sausage but that sounds good.
already had enough fried breast and crockpot thighs and drumsticks this year where I wanted something different. Good way to use the legs/ thighs as well. Next year I may make a sausage batch out of only legs and thighs... just save all of them up till the end of the season, then process all at once.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Bird I killed Tues morn I deboned and coarse ground all the meat (white and dark combined). Added 25% coarse ground Boston butt, half the recommended amount of breakfast sausage spice mix and then fine ground it all to further mix. Stuffed into 17mm clear collagen casings and they are probably the best lowfat breakfast links I've ever had! My wife won't eat wild game (some psychological defect in her DNA), but she tried it and agreed its the best breakfast sausage she has tasted.

Have another in the freezer that is going to become Bratwurst in the next week!
I am gonna have to try this with one of my domestic turkeys! We have been grinding the white and dark together for turkey burger but not adding the pork and spices for sausage. Sounds awesome!

megalomaniac

We made a small batch (5lbs) of turkey Bratwurst this morn. Stuff is really, really good!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240520_090800_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240520_090800_Gallery.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 14

Maude

I haven't used turkey for brats but I bet it is good. I normally use pork belly from Costo as my fat in deer brats. It makes the amount of fat a little more consistent but they are proud of it.

Latest posts