Different types of Diaphragm Turkey calls

tonybart55

So I'm very green to Turkey hunting, I've used some Coyote diaphragm calls so I know how to use them, but when the coyote calls I had were a rabbit distress call and a 2 reed pup call. So two different uses.

I just bought a turkey call pack with 5 different diaphragm calls. But all of these seem to mimic turkeys whereas my coyote calls were to mimic the coyote and then to mimic an injured rabbit.

Can anyone help explain the difference between each cut in the calls?

Picture for reference.
IMG_2696.jpeg

Last edited:

deerfever

Each call will sound slightly different and you may or may not be able to make great turkey sounds with each. I like the raspy sounding calls and prefer the v cut, combo cut and bat wing type calls. Brand and personal preference all come into play with mouth calls. Do not get frustrated and once you find what you like and it makes great turkey sounds get several for future use. Good luck!

Rakkin6

Since you know how to use a diaphragm I won't get into that detail. But if I were you I would start out with the two reed call (in my opinion) they will be the easiest for you to use to get a turkey call out of. I would just concentrate on a help, cluck. Don't worry about a fly down cackle or purring. Definitely the first one I would get down then move on from there. You will notice that some will be higher pitched than others. The two reeds to my ears seem to be more higher pitched. Then move on to the ghost and v-cut.

tonybart55

Since you know how to use a diaphragm I won't get into that detail. But if I were you I would start out with the two reed call (in my opinion) they will be the easiest for you to use to get a turkey call out of. I would just concentrate on a help, cluck. Don't worry about a fly down cackle or purring. Definitely the first one I would get down then move on from there. You will notice that some will be higher pitched than others. The two reeds to my ears seem to be more higher pitched. Then move on to the ghost and v-cut.
I was trying them out today after my kids' naps, the 2 reed and v cut seemed the easiest to make a decent turkey sound, similar (but not as quality) as my box call.

Next would be the combo cut, it was definitely raspier than those first two.

The batwing and ghost calls sounded awful when I used them lol I'm sure that's just me being new to turkey diaphragms.

I'll definitely start off with the 2 reed and v cut probably and hopefully be able to work my way towards the others

Rakkin6

I was trying them out today after my kids' naps, the 2 reed and v cut seemed the easiest to make a decent turkey sound, similar (but not as quality) as my box call.

Next would be the combo cut, it was definitely raspier than those first two.

The batwing and ghost calls sounded awful when I used them lol I'm sure that's just me being new to turkey diaphragms.

I'll definitely start off with the 2 reed and v cut probably and hopefully be able to work my way towards the others
Yeah, that's what I would do. Like I said start with a yelp and cluck. Personally ghost cuts are my favorite call. If you get it down and are able to use one by the begining of the season check out the Woodhaven Toxic Orange. I also like Houndstooth, Hooks, Foot on Da Head, and Cane Creek all are good quality call makers.

And since you already run mouth calls for coyote you know some calls just fit your palate better than others. And getting that good seal is key. There are some guys that swear by Gooserbat calls and I am sure they are great but I just can get them to seal right. They are a little longer and I just can't use them. Best of luck and YouTube has some good tutorials.

Joe2Kool

For Easterns, I use mouth calls probably 65% of the time. IMO, it's not necessarily the cut, but the call itself. Some never sound good to me. And some are harder to get a good turkey sound than others. And after they get worn, they start to sound similar.

As far as turkey hunting goes, I'm solo most of the time, so the mouth call is the most important to me. I can get my gun shouldered, etc. and if you need a sound to make a bird raise his head, you can get it without moving.

Good luck and post some dead bird pics!

REN

couple notes

Combo cut - more raspy less front end and pitch generally
batwing - great all round sound. Generally clear and high front end with light to medium rasp on the back end. My personal favorite cut
ghost - a lot like the batwing but usually a little higher front end pitch and less rasp on the back. Great for kee kees and wheezing
v cut - lots of rasp, less front end great for cutting
2 reed corner cut - more of a beginner call BUT is actually very good for quiet up close calling

one note, one of the main things to look for is the stretch of the reeds. A lot of times that why one call you sound better on then another of the same cut. Find the stretch (high, medium, low) you like and use that type.
Kluck calls for example offers all their cuts in different stretch types which is a great idea.

Rakkin6

couple notes

Combo cut - more raspy less front end and pitch generally
batwing - great all round sound. Generally clear and high front end with light to medium rasp on the back end. My personal favorite cut
ghost - a lot like the batwing but usually a little higher front end pitch and less rasp on the back. Great for kee kees and wheezing
v cut - lots of rasp, less front end great for cutting
2 reed corner cut - more of a beginner call BUT is actually very good for quiet up close calling

one note, one of the main things to look for is the stretch of the reeds. A lot of times that why one call you sound better on then another of the same cut. Find the stretch (high, medium, low) you like and use that type.
Kluck calls for example offers all their cuts in different stretch types which is a great idea.
Yeah I got two of the Kluk calls yesterday. A ghost and batwing in there mid stretch. Figured I would stay in the middle with their calls and go from there.

Latest posts