Smokeless Smokeless muzzleloaders ?

Smokeless

NChunt1

Okay guys I've been doing some looking and I've seen some pretty good-looking smokeless muzzleloaders I really don't know anything about them so I'm looking for someone to school me on smokeless verse stander muzzleloaders and the benefits of going smokeless. I currently have Remington Genesis and it has served me well but I'm always looking to upgrade equipment so I was thinking about checking out smokeless muzzleloaders for next season. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lapuafan

NChunt1":2b86h07y said:
Okay guys I've been doing some looking and I've seen some pretty good-looking smokeless muzzleloaders I really don't know anything about them so I'm looking for someone to school me on smokeless verse stander muzzleloaders and the benefits of going smokeless. I currently have Remington Genesis and it has served me well but I'm always looking to upgrade equipment so I was thinking about checking out smokeless muzzleloaders for next season. Thanks

Well in smokeless it's like anything else. What can your pocketbook stand. What is your main purpose of it ? How far are you wanting shoot ? So many diffrent routes.
I started out with savage smokeless, then upgraded to a gunwerks, then had a 45 built, and in process of having a new 45 built for long range hunting and shooting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fairchaser

Smokeless is the only way to fly. The only drawback is the price to get one. You will need access to a good scale and you can put away all your 50 caliber stuff. Personally I bought one already set up with a tested load. That made things much simpler and easier and probably cheaper because people are always upgrading. Peruse the smokeless sites for second hand conversions and you will probably get a deal versus converting your own.

NChunt1

I was looking at converting a cva scout 45-70 I heard that was a good way to start. I will be hunting but would like to have a 300 yard gun. What kind of advantages will a smokeless have over a regular muzzleloader

Jcalder

NChunt1":ake0dt95 said:
I was looking at converting a cva scout 45-70 I heard that was a good way to start. I will be hunting but would like to have a 300 yard gun. What kind of advantages will a smokeless have over a regular muzzleloader

biggest advantage is not having to clean the stinking thing after you shoot it. That by itself is worth the extra cost. They also shoot pretty good and consistent shot to shot. Should push a 275 grain bullet 2550 FPS or so sabotless. I'm thinking a sabot load was around 2650, 200gr sst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADR

NChunt1":g63dw5r8 said:

I have the cva apex conversion and love it. Like previously stated you will need a powder scale and maybe a die to shoot sabotless. The sabot is the weak link so IMO sabotless is a no brainer. Accuracy wise mine will shoot 300 yards but from 200 to 300 yards there is considerable bullet drop.

Advantages: not having to clean, bullet velocity, not having to clean, accuracy, not having to clean, longer range, not having to clean, no sabot (if you do choose), and oh yeh, not having to clean.

fairchaser

ADR":2jdxbzr7 said:
NChunt1":2jdxbzr7 said:

I have the cva apex conversion and love it. Like previously stated you will need a powder scale and maybe a die to shoot sabotless. The sabot is the weak link so IMO sabotless is a no brainer. Accuracy wise mine will shoot 300 yards but from 200 to 300 yards there is considerable bullet drop.

Advantages: not having to clean, bullet velocity, not having to clean, accuracy, not having to clean, longer range, not having to clean, no sabot (if you do choose), and oh yeh, not having to clean.

I have the same conversion ADR and agree with everything you said. I will add that mine at least is not a 300 yard gun. It will certainly kill a deer at that range but not accurate enough. It will shoot MOA at 100 to 150 yards but at 300 the group really opens up. Some of the better custom guns may do better, but as some have said the sabot is the weak link.

NChunt1

Great thanks for the info.what type of powder and bullets are you shooting out of your conversions. And also what company did you guys use to do it

NChunt1

Another question I had was about the primer system and what equipment I will need to get started. I already have a powder scale for blackhorn 209 and my achery and arrow set ups.

ADR

NChunt1":1kd7h98g said:
Great thanks for the info.what type of powder and bullets are you shooting out of your conversions. And also what company did you guys use to do it

60 gr H4198 with Barnes flat base 290 TEZ. I have also shot the 300 gr fury star tipped but they have to be sized. I was blessed the Barnes fit my barrel perfectly without sizing.

Luke at arrowhead did my conversion with a 209 plug. Just remember that there are now many different ignition sources now and what may be a safe load in a 209 gun may not be in another gun with a different ignition like DI

Bow Hunter

Go to Hanks message board and ask away, there are some guys there that are way ahead of the game and will help you out. And Jeff Hankins can build you one heck of a gun.

Roost 1

My Apex conversion is MOA @ 300yds with 195gr Barnes & HLB sabot, 60gr H4198. I would recommend N120 if I was starting from scratch.
Let me add another big advantage is that you will not have to wait for the smoke to
clear to see where your deer went.

mike243

Nothing wrong with the savage 50 cal imo, killed 2 deer 260 something steps a few years ago, most of my shooting has been 50-120y and some times closer. they kick a bit also. I will upgrade to a 45 cal barrel and maybe shoot sabotless, more choices not using a sabots but you have to size stuff a lot of times, A reloading press is probably needed if you plan or want to shoot most bullets. Living in eTn and the spread of CWD may decrease my wants on deer hunting guns as it expands. fishing and small game may push to the top, not far from 60 and have slowed down some and priority's change :(

lapuafan

fairchaser":3d21bp19 said:
Smokeless is the only way to fly. The only drawback is the price to get one. You will need access to a good scale and you can put away all your 50 caliber stuff. Personally I bought one already set up with a tested load. That made things much simpler and easier and probably cheaper because people are always upgrading. Peruse the smokeless sites for second hand conversions and you will probably get a deal versus converting your own.
Most of us guys are shooting the 45, only way to go.

lapuafan

Jcalder":ypzddsbf said:
NChunt1":ypzddsbf said:

biggest advantage is not having to clean the stinking thing after you shoot it. That by itself is worth the extra cost. They also shoot pretty good and consistent shot to shot. Should push a 275 grain bullet 2550 FPS or so sabotless. I'm thinking a sabot load was around 2650, 200gr sst

You better chronograph that sabot one pushing 2500, I think that's really pushing one, both my 45 shooting 325 with 104 grains is pushing 3150, and the other gun I have with 78 grain with 325 is around 2875

Jcalder

lapuafan":1ug3es20 said:
Jcalder":1ug3es20 said:
NChunt1":1ug3es20 said:

You better chronograph that sabot one pushing 2500, I think that's really pushing one, both my 45 shooting 325 with 104 grains is pushing 3150, and the other gun I have with 78 grain with 325 is around 2875

The hunter I had would push a 275 BE around 2550 if I remember right. 60 grains 4198.

jlanecr500

lapuafan":1ncxpfi2 said:
Jcalder":1ncxpfi2 said:
NChunt1":1ncxpfi2 said:

Please be careful posting charge weights without posting powder type and type of rifle it was fired in. Sure, high velocities are attainable with large doses of slow burning powders but those pressures are only safe in heavy barreled purpose built guns. I've done extensive pressure testing in both 40 and 45 caliber sml's with some loads exceeding 75000 psi and I've seen first hand what can happen at 115000 psi too. I don't want to hear about someone losing a hand because they loaded a super hotrod load into a break action.

I can say that 70gr of imr4198 under a 250sst out of a 22" barreled break action with LRMP ignition will get you around 2850 fps safely. That was my pressure trace equipment calibration load.

M T Pockets 000

Mine is a newly converted CVA 45/70.
Used an arrowhead breach plug and bushing v/s a Savage breach plug. Arrowhead is smaller so less material removed from barrel. Using 38 grains N110, patch , Parker Ballistic Extreme 275 grain .451"

GMB54

38gr N110 sabotless with a 275gr bullet is HOT for a 1" OD barrel.
W2eVyEi.png

Just 30gr is nearly breaking 40kpsi
KXXdy5P.jpg

Latest posts