Smokeless bullets???

jlanecr500

Dont blow money on bullets yet. Do yourself a favor and get with someone who has a selection of bullets, a sizing die, and even sabots to shoot 40 cal bullets. It's a whole lot easier for an experienced shooter to size bullets, check fit, etc. While not the norm, it is possible to get a choked barrel, making sabotless loading impossible. Another member experienced this recently. If so, one would have to use a 40 cal bullet in a Harvester light blue sabot.

Furthermore, I do not advise shooting anything heavier than 225, 250, or 275gr bullets due to pressure limitations of the small barrel. Also due to recoil of the light rifle.

LBAhunter

I waited to see what the TWRA mentioned on straight wall cartridges during ML. Apparently it wasn't mentioned.

Anyway I'm mailing Jeff my barrel tomorrow. Started looking at Parker productions for bullets, and good lord they're expensive.

I have a CVA scout. Is there any recommendation on best all around bullet for hunting? I'm not trying to spend, $360 on 3 different types of bullets to see which shoots best.
He will probably recommend 65gr of 4198 and a 275 gr bullet. I have a Scout conversion but I went with the longer DI plug (ASG replacement). I shoot N110, Eastern Maine wool wad, HLBS, Fury 40cal 200gr LT bullet. Recently, I tested 25gr of N110 with the above. At 50yds, 3 shots is pretty much one hole. I got to test it at 100yds.

cm1021

Look at the fury bullets. I tried them and the Pittman. The Fury are cheaper and shot just as well. Killed a buck at 160 yards last year that went about 5 steps.

You will definitely want to size. I may make it more complicated, but I have pin gauges that I use to get close and mic bullets. Of course it's more of a feel thing than anything I've found.

Also just a quick tip, size your bullets for a fouled barrel, not a clean one.

hillbill

It seems that everyone is on the CVA Scout band wagon these days
keep in mind guys these barrels are production barrels, 2 are very seldom the same when it comes to bullet fit.
Also keep in mind they are the bare minimum for the smokeless game, NO ROOM FOR ERROR, NONE.
Keep the bullets on the lighter end of the spectrum and the same for the powder charges.

Someone mentioned getting with someone that has experience sizing and for recommended loads, I could not stress this advice enough.

Antler Daddy

Dont blow money on bullets yet. Do yourself a favor and get with someone who has a selection of bullets, a sizing die, and even sabots to shoot 40 cal bullets. It's a whole lot easier for an experienced shooter to size bullets, check fit, etc. While not the norm, it is possible to get a choked barrel, making sabotless loading impossible. Another member experienced this recently. If so, one would have to use a 40 cal bullet in a Harvester light blue sabot.

Furthermore, I do not advise shooting anything heavier than 225, 250, or 275gr bullets due to pressure limitations of the small barrel. Also due to recoil of the light rifle.
probably same advice for an Apex conversion I suppose. I converted one and have never shot it!

Latest posts