Shot my first reloads today

infoman jr.

MUP":144cr2r9 said:
How far off the lands did that put the bullet?
I'd have to check my data, but it's not even close so I didn't worry about it.

Rockhound":144cr2r9 said:
infoman jr.":144cr2r9 said:
Rockhound":144cr2r9 said:
How did you determine seating depth? Or are you going by book depth?
Max length to fit a magazine.

for match rounds you may have to seat them longer, and single feed them and not worry about the magazine
I don't have any desire to shoot any matches that allow for single feeding. Small groups from a bench isn't my end goal. Shooting PRS-style matches is, and that requires stuffing a magazine.

MUP

infoman jr.":ydv89fhu said:
MUP":ydv89fhu said:
How far off the lands did that put the bullet?
I'd have to check my data, but it's not even close so I didn't worry about it.

Sounds like my rounds in my Mod 710 in 30-06. If I tried to reach the lands, the bullet would be completely out of the case nearly. As it stands, the distance to the lands is .150", but I'm getting under .750 MOA with it, so like you said, I don't worry about it. ;)

Rockhound

Rockhound":2l5gtmih said:
infoman jr.":2l5gtmih said:
Rockhound":2l5gtmih said:
How did you determine seating depth? Or are you going by book depth?
Max length to fit a magazine.

for match rounds you may have to seat them longer, and single feed them and not worry about the magazine
I don't have any desire to shoot any matches that allow for single feeding. Small groups from a bench isn't my end goal. Shooting PRS-style matches is, and that requires stuffing a magazine.[/quote]

I'm not familiar with match rules so I didn't know there was a difference

infoman jr.

Rockhound":2vgkh70v said:
I'm not familiar with match rules so I didn't know there was a difference
Less this:
Hensler1.jpg

More this:
1471234.jpg

mr.big

when loading to mag length you still need to do seat depth tests,,start as long as you can for 100% function and load .005 shorter shooting 3 shot groups at your best charge weight,,sometimes your most accurate load can be as much as .100 shorter than just loading as long as you can to fit your mags,,Sierra Match Kings and Lapua Scenars shoot really well jumped,,and I shot the 250 Hornady BTHP in the 338LM I had from a magazine that was jumped almost .200 and shot well enough to hit 18inch plates at 1,500 yards,

I really like shooting PRS stuff just never shot in a match,,I shoot a Stiller Tac 30 action with 243 Win and 6.5x47L bbls in an AICS 1.5 with the spigot mounted Atlas bipod and 8-32 Sightron or 4.5-14 Leupold depending on how far the majority of shots will be,,

I am pretty good at makin 2nd round hits,,LOL

infoman jr.

mr.big":2zl2dm4v said:
when loading to mag length you still need to do seat depth tests,,start as long as you can for 100% function and load .005 shorter shooting 3 shot groups at your best charge weight,,sometimes your most accurate load can be as much as .100 shorter than just loading as long as you can to fit your mags,,Sierra Match Kings and Lapua Scenars shoot really well jumped,,and I shot the 250 Hornady BTHP in the 338LM I had from a magazine that was jumped almost .200 and shot well enough to hit 18inch plates at 1,500 yards,

I really like shooting PRS stuff just never shot in a match,,I shoot a Stiller Tac 30 action with 243 Win and 6.5x47L bbls in an AICS 1.5 with the spigot mounted Atlas bipod and 8-32 Sightron or 4.5-14 Leupold depending on how far the majority of shots will be,,

I am pretty good at makin 2nd round hits,,LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/ericleonard/33980867-9183-44d6-8379-26c4cf50db5c.jpg[img][/url][/quote]
That's the plan which is why I started at my max possible length.

infoman jr.

Small update. I shot around one of the promising loads from last session and explored above book max of 43.3 a bit. I was glad to see the groups come together around 44. I'll do some 5-shot groups in tenth grain increments in that area next time out. My bench was very unsteady, so hopefully things will come together soon.

263ff6128c4c25e9b17457ecbb9f8805.jpg

I also shot my first blackout loads of 208 ELD Match over 11.6 grains of CFE BLK. Accuracy was acceptable at 100 with my 3x ACOG. I'll go ahead and call that one good for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infoman jr.

I went out and shot the loads around 43.8, and 43.8 turned out to be the most accurate. I went from there and varied the bullet seating depth. I had .055 between where I was loaded (M118LR length) and the max length that would fit in an AI mag. I divided that into 5, and loaded 5 rounds each at those depths. I think I found a winner. I stacked 4 nearly into the same hole then got excited...

I've also been working on some .223 loads using CFE 223 and Barnes Match Burners, both 69 and 85 grain bullets. Several of my 69 gr loads were good, but I think I stumbled across a winner.

Attachments

• .308.JPG
    .308.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 2,613
  • .223.JPG
    .223.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,611

infoman jr.

I also recently swapped my B&C stock for a Magpul stock so I could use my AI mags. I'll eventually pick up something more substantial, but this seems to be working.

Attachments

• mps.JPG
    mps.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,614

Latest posts