Switching factory to reloads 223?

hammer33

Been puttering with a .223/556 for a friend. Upgraded trigger. Swapped barrel.
So if it starts shooting the bulk .55gr green tip ammo decent, I will want to work up a load for varmint hunting.

Here is my question. If you have a factory load that shoots decent, should you stick to that bullet weight when developing a hunting round? I don't want to wind up with a bunch of different "orphan" bullets that the gun won't shoot well.

backyardtndeer

I kind of did. My first ar was a rock river varmint. It shot 55 grain bullets great, didn't matter if it was the cheap ultramax reloads or black hills custom stuff. So when I started reloading I went with 55's in soft points. Got great groups, so loaded a bunch of them. Then later on in my reloading I bought varmageddons in 55 grain and they too shot really well. I have since used several 223 rifles with my different handloads in different 55 grain pills, and they all do well with them.

DaveB

A few variables:
1. Barrel twist rate
2. What are you hunting
3. Your curiosity

I have loaded from around 40 up to 80 gr bullets into a 223.

For hunting, I really like 24.5 grains of SW Tac Rifle behind 60 gr partitions (Bolt Axis, Bolt Venture, and DDM4)
For hunting Bolt Axis #2 70 gr Accubond 24 gr H335 (different barrel twist)
Varmints get the Partition.
If the varmints have two legs I have a few 62 gr FMJ, 55 FMJ and 62 M855's.

I do not like the lighter than 55 gr bullets as I don't shoot the wind so very good.

DaveTN

I'm going to bump this up as I'm interested also.

As DaveB said, it's my understanding barrel length and twist play the biggest part.

Is it an AR?

My AR is a M&P15T with a 16" barrel and a 1/9 twist. Some articles I have seen say 55 is a good weight. Others say the 68/69 is a better weight for that twist rate.

I have not yet reloaded .223/5.56. I don't need a hunting round, I want to load up a bunch of FMJ range ammo as cheap as I can. It appears that all the cheap bullets are 55 grain. The heavier, not as common, don't appear to be as plentiful and cost a lot more. I assume this is simply supply/demand.

Jcalder

I may be in the minority, but I practice with what I'm gonna hunt with. You learn a particular cartridge and how it shoots, why would deviate. Especially if it only saves you a little change. Also, each load may shoot different. So you'll have to change zero every time you change ammo. Never made much sense to me to swap back and forth just because you wanna save a few pennies.

DaveTN

I may be in the minority, but I practice with what I'm gonna hunt with. You learn a particular cartridge and how it shoots, why would deviate. Especially if it only saves you a little change. Also, each load may shoot different. So you'll have to change zero every time you change ammo. Never made much sense to me to swap back and forth just because you wanna save a few pennies.
If that's directed at my comments about cost, I'm not needing a hunting round, nor would I need to switch.

If its not directed at me….carry on.
x0CBMZi.gif

5edAXCI.gif

Jcalder

If that's directed at my comments about cost, I'm not needing a hunting round, nor would I need to switch.

x0CBMZi.gif

5edAXCI.gif
Not directed at you at all. Didn't even read your comment honestly. But for hunting rounds, load them the same. In your case, with the fmj, and I agree 55s are much more common and cheap. But how much more would 69gr fmj cost? The bigger issue might be you can buy 6k at a time of the 55s and 100 with the 69s. And maybe you can buy them in bigger bulk. For an AR, where spray and pray is prevalent, go cheapest route.

Lone Hunter

You would also be surprised at how well a 1-7 twist will shoot a 50 grain bullet. I would rather shoot a 60-69 grain bullet for coyotes but for crows I like 50-55 grs for the splat factor. Never really wanted to shoot a deer with a .223 but for some reason I want to build a 6x45. If I were shooting an AR for just blasting I would load the cheapest thing possible. I have some AR's that shoot great but I also am using an match bullet.

Omega

As DaveB said, it's my understanding barrel length and twist play the biggest part.

Is it an AR?

My AR is a M&P15T with a 16" barrel and a 1/9 twist. Some articles I have seen say 55 is a good weight. Others say the 68/69 is a better weight for that twist rate.

I have not yet reloaded .223/5.56. I don't need a hunting round, I want to load up a bunch of FMJ range ammo as cheap as I can. It appears that all the cheap bullets are 55 grain. The heavier, not as common, don't appear to be as plentiful and cost a lot more. I assume this is simply supply/demand.
Faster spin is required for heavier bullets, but with some rifles you will get decent results outside what is recommended. Here is a good chart:

In case the link goes away (1:6" Fast, 1:16" Slow):
1700973551751.png

backyardtndeer

I would rather shoot a 60-69 grain bullet for coyotes but for crows I like 50-55 grs for the splat factor.
I use 55 grain for crows and coyotes and they work well. Also use 55 grain for beaver, nosler tipped varmageddons work really well.
Never really wanted to shoot a deer with a .223 but for some reason I want to build a 6x45
Me either. I did build a 6 arc, have not hunted with it yet though, to see how it will do on deer.

Last edited:

Lone Hunter

One thing to also note the heavier you go on bullets ( especially 77gr-90 gr bullets) you will have to single load them because of the overall length will not fit into an AR magazine.
Omega, like that chart, it fits pretty close on all twist and bullet ranges.

MUP

x0CBMZi.gif

5edAXCI.gif
Dave buddy, we know you're tighter than white on rice my friend, no need to try and hide it! 😁 Found any primers yet, at regular prices that is. I don't foresee them coming back down any further than they are right now.

DaveTN

Dave buddy, we know you're tighter than white on rice my friend, no need to try and hide it! 😁 Found any primers yet, at regular prices that is. I don't foresee them coming back down any further than they are right now.
I bought 300 SPP in April at Sportsman Warehouse for $16.50. That's $55 a thousand, even though they had a limit of 300. The price was starting to come down, but now we have another country at war asking for ammo, so I suspect it will be a while again.

The price will go down again, just like with ammo, it always does.

Omega

I bought 300 SPP in April at Sportsman Warehouse for $16.50. That's $55 a thousand, even though they had a limit of 300. The price was starting to come down, but now we have another country at war asking for ammo, so I suspect it will be a while again.

The price will go down again, just like with ammo, it always does.
What brand? Some imported brands, Aguila, Cheddite, Fiocchi etc., had been sold at decent prices at Midsouth but the standard brands were still pretty high. I've tried the imported ones, and so far no issues.

DaveB

Is it an AR?

Ok. To handload 223. Just my experience.

1. For your brass and bullets go to

search around for 223 brass NO CRIMPED PRIMERS. Get the 2,000 round option, that is the cheapest per bullet. The ready-to-go brass is good, not a bargain, but good.

2. Search around for the 223 ARMSCOR FMJ 55 grainers and they all have cannelure. Get the 2,000 or if you are serious, get more.

3. Go here for primers

Check Powder Valley for primer cost. I do not like Winchester. Surprise, the Fiochhi seem to be pretty consistent.

4. I have tested and compared H335 and SW Tact rifle. SW produces very repeatable results, is a whole lot cheaper, and you can pick it up in 8 pound lots.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....tactical-rifle-smokeless-powder-8-lb-by-lovex

Having said that, no one has it in stock. Come to the Singing Christmas Tree, bring the kids, I'll spot you a pound.

DaveTN

Ok. To handload 223. Just my experience.
Thanks Dave for all that info. 👍 I have plenty of brass and powder I need bullets and primers.

For powder right now I have Varget, IMR4064 (Thanks to Tennessee Gun Country in Clarksville) and Titegroup (using it for Cowboy loads).

All I have loaded so far is some .38 Special Cowboy loads. They worked well. I now need to load some rifle range ammo for my 5.56/223 16" 1in9 AR and would like to work up something I could use in either my .308 Remington 700 VLS 26" 1in12 or my 16" 1in10 DPMS 308 Recon LR-GII. But I can load for those individually if I need to.

Omega

Thanks Dave for all that info. 👍 I have plenty of brass and powder I need bullets and primers.

For powder right now I have Varget, IMR4064 (Thanks to Tennessee Gun Country in Clarksville) and Titegroup (using it for Cowboy loads).

All I have loaded so far is some .38 Special Cowboy loads. They worked well. I now need to load some rifle range ammo for my 5.56/223 16" 1in9 AR and would like to work up something I could use in either my .308 Remington 700 VLS 26" 1in12 or my 16" 1in10 DPMS 308 Recon LR-GII. But I can load for those individually if I need to.
Keep an eye on Midsouth, they run 223 ammo sales pretty regularly.

Latest posts