Proposed changes to this years hand held duck blind draws

Levee Jumper

Re: Proposed changes to this years hand held duck blind draw

TimberMan":287xztdj said:
Blinds being close isn't the biggest issue on WMAs IMO. It is the fact a majority are shooting at birds at 80 yards high, highballing while ducks are trying to sit in another blinds decoys, or the single shots flaring birds when it is not that blinds day to be the x. Eliminating that would improve quality.

I posted this before and my feelings haven't changed since.

Regulations I would like to see on WMA's: limit number of decoys to 100; outlaw motorized decoys, black jugs, face paint, poorly trained dogs and surface drives; inspect duck calls to ensure they remotely sound like a duck; whip anyone that blows a call constantly at ducks that are clearly headed elsewhere with a rubber hose; and whip anyone that shoots at a duck at over 60 yards with a bigger rubber hose. (No I it doesn't matter that you can kill them that far :bash: )

TimberMan

I can agree with those. I might say nothing more than a modified choke and shell restriction.

drake799

I've seen blinds that don't shoot under 60 yards lol 6-8 guys scratch out 1 duck out of a group and spend the next 10 min trying to run it down in the boat KILLIN EM!!!!

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled

Yep, while other ducks are flying by and won't commit to any blind in the field because they got 2 boats out, one chasing down a cripple, and one adjusting decoys.

tickweed

I wish TWRA would close all traffic to boaters the week before opening day, on all WMA'S, and also limit the number of hunters or boats allowed on the boat hunting spots, maybe make those a daily draw. When you have people sitting up 50-60 yards apart, or shooting at others swing, or really high birds it just hurts it for everyone. Plus the danger element. Of course, this probably never happen, until someone gets killed.

spoonie

drake799":e6llhswn said:
What is the percentage of people at the draw buying blinds. Small. Now what is the percentage of people at the draw wanting a blind to hunt and not selling High. So we're changing the system in a effort to stop a very small percentage of people Just isn't right to me And at the end of the day the people that buy blinds will still buy them lol. Because they're wanting to hunt and will just accept the situation and will do what it takes to secure the blind they've bought every day May mean someone is sitting in it a 4am everyday But if that's what it takes that what they'll do.

Its a major percentage at the Camden draw, A guy that sat with our group last year sold one of the first 5 picks for 17k (I cant blame him he has a family and 17k can go a long ways, Another person I know sold a blind for 4k which wasn't a good blind at all, and another person I knew who got drawn almost last for a spot in harmons with no blind on site was contacted thru social media and sold the gar hole for $500.

I agree the system needs to be changed, but the new drawing system wont change a thing. A person looking to sell will just get one card and no sign ons and sell it after the 2nd drawing. Then who buys it will probably have some fake sign on cards made...( yes this happens)
This same folks will be sitting in the same blinds they hunt every year in Camden

SKFOOTER

Levee Jumper":wrduspjj said:
I love the new rules. Math is math and you cant really argue the numbers associated with getting a particular blind because they are the same. The only variable that may change the odds is the number of sign ons affecting the quantity of people remaining in the draw (which is minuscule). I actually feel like the number of sign ons will decrease with the new rules which will make it ever so slightly harder to get a blind.

The way I see it, parties are set prior to money changing hands. I assume someone could offer you a grand or two to get their name in the second draw, but that would be a tough pill to swallow for the person paying for a card to a likely gar hole.

The blind may very well sell after the second draw, but 10 grand split say 8 ways is tougher to do, and if the original owner does it anyway there are still 7 cards that have the right to the blind regardless of money changing hands. I actually hope someone sells a blind out from under their buddies and one of the buddies is so butt hurt about it that he decides he is going to keep his card (or request another one from the TWRA) and hunt it anyway. This guy waits until the blind is built and the last piece of brush is going on and he shows up with the GW and ask "What the hell is going on guys I think y'all have the wrong hole".
That's when that blind gets burned!

Andy S.

TNGunsmoke":1jjddqip said:
Yep, while other ducks are flying by and won't commit to any blind in the field because they got 2 boats out, one chasing down a cripple, and one adjusting decoys.
This is too funny. It takes all kinds to make the world go around. :tu:

Levee Jumper

SKFOOTER":k4wjiu3o said:
Levee Jumper":k4wjiu3o said:
I love the new rules. Math is math and you cant really argue the numbers associated with getting a particular blind because they are the same. The only variable that may change the odds is the number of sign ons affecting the quantity of people remaining in the draw (which is minuscule). I actually feel like the number of sign ons will decrease with the new rules which will make it ever so slightly harder to get a blind.

The way I see it, parties are set prior to money changing hands. I assume someone could offer you a grand or two to get their name in the second draw, but that would be a tough pill to swallow for the person paying for a card to a likely gar hole.

The blind may very well sell after the second draw, but 10 grand split say 8 ways is tougher to do, and if the original owner does it anyway there are still 7 cards that have the right to the blind regardless of money changing hands. I actually hope someone sells a blind out from under their buddies and one of the buddies is so butt hurt about it that he decides he is going to keep his card (or request another one from the TWRA) and hunt it anyway. This guy waits until the blind is built and the last piece of brush is going on and he shows up with the GW and ask "What the hell is going on guys I think y'all have the wrong hole".
That's when that blind gets burned!

Good thing they will let you hunt out of a boat this year lol

double browtine

I watched a podcast on Instagram today on the Twra page. It was the first time I had heard about the changes. Last time I went to Dover bottoms draw was about 6 years ago. I think this new process will make things more interesting that is for sure. With technology, computers, scanners and bar codes, I think Twra should put bar codes on licenses. This would speed things up a lot at the draw sites. Just walk up, get your license scanned, then let the computer do it all. Groups could be scanned. There would not be a need for blind cards. They could modify the Twra app to scan a code at the blind site each morning of the hunt to check in. Twra would know who hunted each blind, each hunt day, and the hunters could report their harvest for the day. Imagine the database the Twra would have in a few years.
But that would be difficult for some areas without cell phone coverage. It could be done, but most would not like it, cause it would cause everyone to be honest.
Good luck to all that go to the drawing. I will just hunt a small riverbottom property and hope to see a few ducks and geese and maybe get lucky and kill a few.