Proposed changes to this years hand held duck blind draws

SKFOOTER

Re: Proposed changes to this years hand held duck blind draw

And TWRA could very well penalize the individual whose name is on the card they draw in the second drawing if they don't acknowledge their name when its called. That could be a real possibility.

tickweed

l just dont think twra legally can make a person or group take a blind, nor fix up a blind. that's like drawing a quota deer hunt, then not going. l guess draw alternate groups.

Gad Father

When the drawing nears the end and your card is pulled and you don't want any of the blinds left you can decline. The blinds that are not spoken for will be on a first come first serve basis.

SKFOOTER

Gad Father":2opin04x said:
When the drawing nears the end and your card is pulled and you don't want any of the blinds left you can decline. The blinds that are not spoken for will be on a first come first serve basis.
Is this an official TWRA reply?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled

Gad Father":1okc2ow5 said:
First come first serve at the drawing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge Man

Gad Father":1jlq6jzk said:

If someone is not drawn for a blind. Most likely the blind will not be in a hunt able condition come hunting season. Most of the lower blinds need new floors and possibly roofs along with brush. Nobody will do that if they don't hold a card for the blind. The state definitely is not going to make the blinds in hunting condition.

Gad Father

My hunting partner is part of TWRA and he is in charge of one of the drawings he said that you could decline a blind with no penalty. The blind or blind spot if there is not a blind will be available the morning of the hunt at a first come first serve basis.

SKFOOTER

So if a blind spot is not claimed at the drawing how can someone legally hunt it if they get there first during the season ? Doesn't a blind have to be in place for the spot to be legally hunted?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled

SKFOOTER":2ej536k2 said:
So if a blind spot is not claimed at the drawing how can someone legally hunt it if they get there first during the season ? Doesn't a blind have to be in place for the spot to be legally hunted?
Check my question in the twra forum

Dodge Man

RUGER":29ki1qq9 said:
SKFOOTER":29ki1qq9 said:
Check my question in the twra forum

Making the left over blind sites wade in or boat blind for the season doesn't seem like a good idea. It could cause some argument at places like Gooch.

At places like Tigrett most of the blinds require one main boat in the river. Then you have to pull a 2nd boat over the levee and go several hundred yards to the blinds. Nobody will go through all the trouble of a 2nd boat and lots of decoys to hunt one day.

On top of that most of the sites at Tigrett have some type of blind already. It could need work and for sure will need brush.

elk

I don't mind having 2 drawings but don't like leaving the less desirable blinds open to first come first serve. While I know there are many people who don't want to put in the work of getting a garhole huntable (myself included), there are groups still praying for their names to be drawn at the end of every draw just to have a place to hunt they can call their own for the season. In my opinion, there should be some alternate groups drawn or a third drawing for the "leftovers".

Dodge Man

elk":1q18g65v said:
I don't mind having 2 drawings but don't like leaving the less desirable blinds open to first come first serve. While I know there are many people who don't want to put in the work of getting a garhole huntable (myself included), there are groups still praying for their names to be drawn at the end of every draw just to have a place to hunt they can call their own for the season. In my opinion, there should be some alternate groups drawn or a third drawing for the "leftovers".

I agree, leaving the less desirable blinds open to first come is either going to end up in some people camping out to keep a spot. Or who knows what else . Places like Gooch you can not normally boat blind hunt but if a blind spot is not taken people can boat blind hunt that spot. What if they hunt the opposite side of the hole and get too close to other blinds. I can just see several issues coming out of this.

BlackEagle1

If they are boat hunting the spot where the blind is supposed to be they shouldn't be on the opposite side of the hole. Any spot worth camping for will have a blind I imagine.

elk

Many of the holes where I hunt are not huntable if no one does anything with the old blind and/or cuts out the hole. Granted most places that this would be an issue are not very desirable but a place to set up shop is something. Hopefully they will get a group in every blind.

drake799

I would imagine every blind site would have someone held accountable for it. But these days who knows lol

scn

drake799":2tof4xsb said:
I would imagine every blind site would have someone held accountable for it. But these days who knows lol

Blind sites have never really had anyone "held accountable". By Rule, if a group that chose a blind did not have it hunt worthy and brushed by a certain date in October, it was taken away from them and the first alternate could build/brush it if they wanted it. There were no repercussions to the first group for the next year's draw if they had their blind taken away. It should be the same way this year, except from information posted by TWRA it looks like there may not be alternates.

drake799

I know a group that didn't do anything to a site one year and they weren't allowed to draw at that particular draw the next year

scn

drake799":20haa5re said:
I know a group that didn't do anything to a site one year and they weren't allowed to draw at that particular draw the next year

You may very well be correct and I may be wrong. The Rule was revised in 2018, and may have changed from when I was dealing with it. Here is the current Rule:

https://publications.tnsosfiles.com/rul ... 180903.pdf

It now does state that if the blind permittee or sign-ons fail to build the blind, they can be banned from drawing the next year.

I see nothing in the rule that requires anyone that is drawn to have to take a blind.

Thanks!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled

I guess IF we get drawn twice we will take a spot (gar hole) if it already has a blind in place. If not, we will just go to the house.

Latest posts