Note to self......Tin drives different from Glass.

Gravey

I don't know how some of you walk.

Give me a motorcycle and I will be right there with you, but on the water, nope.
Agree! In college a buddy had a Suzuki Katana 600 as his only transportation and would use my car sometimes to do laundry. When he did I drove the motorcycle. Got on I-40 east in Cookeville doing 90 on the ramp and at somewhere around 115-120 I backed off but it got there so fast it was a huge adrenaline rush. Those dotted lines between lanes were solid and I had a "WTH are you doing" moment and backed off. My boat is a ski boat and only goes around 42 WOT but the fastest I drive it is when my wife is skiing at 32. It's a V-drive so the prop is under the boat by itself and I'm paranoid to hit something floating so typically run around 28.

Nice boat @Kirk!

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I cant get my tin boat to steer worth a darn LOL. It actually does good but backing or turning slow and the boat sometimes just doesnt want to turn. I could parallel park my 2019 20ft glass boat and do it with ease and without much more than bumping a dock. The tin boat , well I'm just glad its camo and tin LOLOLOL :)

Lt.Dan

I used to have a Sylvan 25' that would turn on a dime. I cranked a hard to starboard one day and it threw me out of the seat onto the deck. Needless to say, I didn't try that again. Always wear your kill switch lanyard, they work.

Urban_Hunter

I cant get my tin boat to steer worth a darn LOL. It actually does good but backing or turning slow and the boat sometimes just doesnt want to turn. I could parallel park my 2019 20ft glass boat and do it with ease and without much more than bumping a dock. The tin boat , well I'm just glad its camo and tin LOLOLOL :)
I'm glad you said this. I've had about every boat there is at some point, but my x19 in reverse is backing up… and that's it. If there's any breeze at all, the front is going with it regardless of steering angle and throttle.

Fwiw, my x19 (2004) has a ox66 200hp and it runs mid 60's. It turns better than my hydra-sport did, but not as well as my stratos. Not a "huge" difference EXCEPT for turning into chop or wake. It will "skip" or "slide" a lot worse. Love the boat though

Kirk

Fwiw, my x19 (2004) has a ox66 200hp and it runs mid 60's. It turns better than my hydra-sport did, but not as well as my stratos. Not a "huge" difference EXCEPT for turning into chop or wake. It will "skip" or "slide" a lot worse. Love the boat though
All of my previous boats have been Stratos that may be why the X-19 seems so different in turns.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I'm glad you said this. I've had about every boat there is at some point, but my x19 in reverse is backing up… and that's it. If there's any breeze at all, the front is going with it regardless of steering angle and throttle.

Thats exactly the issue i have. I have to go extremely slow and deliberate to get it to steer both ways in reverse. Its def different

FLTENNHUNTER1

My G3 turns really well. Just trim it down just a hair and it bites the water very well. 1910 with 150 SHO. What frightens me is getting airborne over unexpected wake from other boats. I mean like prop out of water airborne.

kaizen leader

I am still breaking in my new boat and motor. Got it out on the water a few days ago for the 4th time. I finally have enough break in hours on it (6 hours) I can run it WOT for short bursts. Had some great top end speeds of just a little over 70MPH. Still haven't tweaked the trim enough to see how fast it will really run. Great hole shot, planes out quickly.............but damn it doesn't turn like a glass boat. I was running around 40 and made a turn into a side channel and I thought I was going to end up on the bank. (Made that same turn in a glass boat a thousand times.) Anyway.....I am going to have to learn how drive this aluminum boat. May have to adjust the jack plate.

View attachment 197311
Do the manufacturers still say the motor needs a break-in? That's BS and comes from when engineering specs were loose. Now all components are engineered with extremely tight specs so there is no break-in required. That's why cars and outboards last so long now. Good luck with it and have fun.

kaizen leader

My Allison XB 2002 had a flashed 225 pro max running a Brucato reed cage under the efi block. With one battery about 10 gallons of gas and just me it would run 98. I could run 88-90 tournament loaded. I loved that boat but life got in the way and I sold it. And with prices like they are I'll never own another probably. But I sure did love going that fast. I spent a week with a true Allison race legend Ray Neudecker learning how to truly drive it. His drag Allison with a serious modded Yammy would run 118.
Now that's fast. I like fast too but I didn't get to be 74 all on luck. 😂😱🤪

agelessssone

I imagine it has allot to do with the weight of the boat.
Mostly it has to do with chines (ribs) on the bottom of the boat.
Boats with a modified V may only have one chine. That doesn't grab much water to control the turn.
The "turn" is more of a slide.
Bottom hull design has everything to do with turning

I had a new 2014 Excel bay boat w/150 4 stroke Merc on it.
One single chine down the middle and it would just slide at higher speeds.
Had a learning curve after having glass bass boats before.
I now have a 21.59 deckboat with a cataman style hull. It will throw you off the seat in a sharp turn, same with my deep V Hydra Sport, 21 ft CC.
Can't find a picture of the deckboat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729_191617_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729_191617_Facebook.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 21

Kirk

Do the manufacturers still say the motor needs a break-in? That's BS and comes from when engineering specs were loose. Now all components are engineered with extremely tight specs so there is no break-in required. That's why cars and outboards last so long now. Good luck with it and have fun.
Yes the break in period is very defined on the Yamaha outboard motor. Even with it being a 4-stroke it requires 10 hours of total break-in time.

shrimphead

Yes the break in period is very defined on the Yamaha outboard motor. Even with it being a 4-stroke it requires 10 hours of total break-in time.
that right 10 hours of break in time. when i bought my new yamaha last year the yamaha dealer told me if something broke and they put it on the computer and break in was wrong. i may have pay for repairs not warranty

XCR-2

Have a prodigy that is a true flat bottom, no chines at all. First time out I slid that sucker 10 yards up in the reeds 😂. Got used to it though. Fastest I've ever been on the water was 89 in a 20XD with a 250 pro XB. Those were the days.

Latest posts