Note to self......Tin drives different from Glass.

Kirk

I am still breaking in my new boat and motor. Got it out on the water a few days ago for the 4th time. I finally have enough break in hours on it (6 hours) I can run it WOT for short bursts. Had some great top end speeds of just a little over 70MPH. Still haven't tweaked the trim enough to see how fast it will really run. Great hole shot, planes out quickly.............but damn it doesn't turn like a glass boat. I was running around 40 and made a turn into a side channel and I thought I was going to end up on the bank. (Made that same turn in a glass boat a thousand times.) Anyway.....I am going to have to learn how drive this aluminum boat. May have to adjust the jack plate.

Boat.jpeg

Last edited:

HenryCohunter

Yeah… even the best riding and driving tin boat won't touch a glass boat in the curves. Had a guy a few years ago slide right on the bank in a channel going from a bar pit to the main channel because he wasn't used to his new big express yet. Took 4 guys and my Allison to pull him back into the water. They will with some skill and patience handle pretty well though. His was the second gen 20 footer with a 225 pro max I think it was. I know top end wise it would give the big glass boats a run for their money in semi smooth water.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I am still breaking in my new boat and motor. Got it out on the water a few days ago for the 4th time. I finally have enough break in hours on it (6 hours) I can run it WOT for short bursts. Had some great top end speeds of just a little over 70MPH. Still haven't tweaked the trim enough to see how fast it will really run. Great hole shot, planes out quickly.............but damn it doesn't turn like a glass boat. I was running around 40 and made a turn into a side channel and I thought I was going to end up on the bank. (Made that same turn in a glass boat a thousand times.) Anyway.....I am going to have to learn how drive this aluminum boat. May have to adjust the jack plate.

View attachment 197311
250 Yamaha?

Spurhunter

I can't stand hearing the Xpress guys talk about how they handle rough water as good as glass, because they don't. So I don't want to be that guy, but.....my X19 turns like it's on rails. Mine is the old X19 hull and yours is the new, and my boat only has a 175 where you have a 200. Maybe that's the difference. 🤷‍♂️

scn

Back in my younger "don't give a darn" days, I was a passenger in a stripped down Bullet that hit 92 driven by a close friend. My thoughts as I headed up Douglas was the quote from Josey Wales Indian friend: "Its a good day to die".

He was a VERY skilled driver, but, we were one sunken log hit from going into orbit.

Spurhunter

I was a passenger in an Allison with a merc 250 several tears ago going 85 MPH. I have no intention of going that fast in my X19.
I was fishing a tournament at Tunica one day and there was a guy crappie fishing in an Allison with one of those Mercs they don't have the HP on. I asked him how fast was it and he said when he first put that motor on it he took out everything but 1 battery and 6 gallons of gas, and it ran 102.3 on gps. He said it would run mid 90s with him and his partner loaded to fish. I told him if I wasn't in a tournament I'd ask him to take me for a ride. But I'm not going to say I wouldn't have been terrified.

Latest posts