Leupold CDS system

GOODWIN

What's your experience? I like the custom turret idea to simplify it when hunting. No need to check your chart except for doping wind. Simply range, turn turret to the appropriate range and shoot. Easy as that huh lol. I know several companies are making custom turrets but I like the fact Leupold is offering the first one free.

Anyhow, ordered a V3i 4.5-14x40 with the CDS to top a Tikka 30-06. May take it west this year for pronghorn and Elk if I can get it dialed in. Got to find what it likes then send the info to Leupold for my turret. May be pushing it to get it back in time. Will see.

280longshot

Having no experience myself but after reading several topics about the Leupold CDS system ( repeatability) on another forum, I don't have much faith in it.

I hope I'm wrong cause I also have a new Leupold that I sent off and had them install a Target turret on for the purpose of dialing. I didn't get a CDS system just a MOA turret but have yet to test its repeatability.

rtaylor

I've used the CDS on on a VX5 and VX6 and it works really well. Make sure and do alot of shots through a chronograph before sending off your info. 100 fps makes a huge difference on really long ranges.

451LRML

I had some made for my boys and I Muzzleloaders.
Like you state in your OP - no guessing, quick acquisition - bang!
Worked like a charm 2 years ago at 218yds.
Leupold techs were very helpful.

Attachments

• FCDC9083-DC67-466C-BD37-287CDE4798D3.jpeg
    FCDC9083-DC67-466C-BD37-287CDE4798D3.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,015

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
The Leupold CDS is a novel concept and should work fine for those that will spin the turret once or twice per year. If you plan to run several different loads or will be spinning the turrets regularly, I would advise to purchase a scope better suited for that purpose.

GOODWIN

I'm always trying new loads. Probably too much instead of sticking to what works. Thats my downfall to reloading...always thinking I can make it just a little bit better ha. But on this I plan to find a good quality accurate load and get the turret made for it for hunting purposes. BTW I could be wrong but I believe you get to keep the factory MOA knob so you could always just switch it back

451LRML

GOODWIN, You are correct that you can swap turrets and keep the original. If you like experimenting then a standard MOA or MIL turret should suffice.
For me and hunting, been there- done that with calculation/drop chart, etc..
Good luck.

Latest posts