Gibson county trespassing..outside of Milan

I was asking more from a biological and logistical planning perspective. As I said, I'm not a coon hunter so I'm mostly ignorant to the why and how and when. Traditional seasons make sense to a point but once there becomes an evident conflict of interest it seems the easiest resolution would be to separate the seasons.
Coon, squirrel, rabbit, quail, dove, and deer all are in season in every state at the same time. Hunters of different species surely can coexist.

Last edited:

themanpcl

I don't know why anyone would think its okay to go on someone else's property. Sure, they aren't going to get arrested; but its just not the right thing to do. Too many things could go wrong.
For some, this would be a head scratcher...but coming from a long line of rednecks and knowing many not in the family, it doesn't surprise me when I hear of their entitled feelings about running all over someones land. However, for those that have property they own or have permission to hunt, those same people have such a problem when someone trespasses and/or poaches their property. Whats that they say about standards...? If they didn't have double standards, they wouldn't have any at all...lol...

TheLBLman

I'm not a coon hunter so excuse my ignorance, but why must coon hunting be done during deer season?
Because deer season is too long :p
Deer season runs from late September thru early January.

When I was young, lots of people coon hunted, and deer season was only a couple weeks in November. People also hunted a variety of small game in November and December, much of which has been displaced due to conflicts & potential conflicts with deer hunter/deer hunters.

No, I don't want to go back to a 2-week deer season, but I do miss the days when there was less conflict among hunters, and more of us were seen as "hunters" instead of just "deer" or "coon" hunters.

mike243

I have almost stopped squirrel hunting due to bow hunters even on property I only have permission to hunt on, that might come to a end some day soon.

Thekla

Guys, I started the thread in hopes maybe the
Because deer season is too long :p
Deer season runs from late September thru early January.

When I was young, lots of people coon hunted, and deer season was only a couple weeks in November. People also hunted a variety of small game in November and December, much of which has been displaced due to conflicts & potential conflicts with deer hunter/deer hunters.

No, I don't want to go back to a 2-week deer season, but I do miss the days when there was less conflict among hunters, and more of us were seen as "hunters" instead of just "deer" or "coon" hunters.
My thing is, I don't care if you hunt coons ,squirrel or gorilla....just not on my land without permission.

Swampster

I quit coonhunting years ago because you can't control where your dogs go. We didn't have all the fancy gadgets then. People used to not care if someone was coon hunting. When implants started moving in everything changed. I used to be able to knock on doors for hunting permission and 3 out of 4 said yes. Times have changed greatly.
Times have greatly changed. For us landowners, lawsuits and liability in general are a big part of that. Otherwise, I would certainly welcome some coon hunters. They steal my eggs, chickens, and dog & cat food as well.

Swampster

Probably think they can get away with it. You know, "I could have gotten away with it if not for"...... that pesky camera.

There is just a lack of respect these days, much like common courtesy.
After first purchasing my property I did hear something similar to that a few times. "My family has hunted this property for years (or generations)."

backyardtndeer

After first purchasing my property I did hear something similar to that a few times. "My family has hunted this property for years (or generations)."
I have hunted my farm since 1992, mother and step dad owned it, bought it from them in 1995. I had permission on the property next to me for several years and on one just up the road, never hunted the farm up the road. Those landowners have since passed away, and so did that permission. The property behind me was leased for several years, and then changed hands a couple times, with the newest having had it less than two years. I have seen/caught people come in from miles to rabbit hunt, squirrel hunt, and coon hunt. Several didn't even know the person they initially came in on. When I had permission on it, caught people deer hunting on the property next to me a couple times, neighbor wouldn't prosecute them, but did give my family sole written permission. But yeah, some people don't get that trespassing is trespassing regardless of what relative may have hunted the property however many generations ago. With technology, there really is no excuse.

Hardwoodmaterials

There is some of the most whining people on here I have ever seen over someone accidentally walking across the corner of your property where there is nothing but trees! The same ones that have a melt down over coon hunters is the same ones that cry about not having turkey and quail in their area when its the coons that destroy a good portion of the nests. If someone walks on your dirt once or twice a year that got lost or turned around and doesn't bother anything is it really that big of a deal? I can understand not wanting people around your house, sheds or barn or if they was doing it regularly, stealing, tearing stuff up or cutting fences but ya'll are over the top over someone walking. You act like those transplants that move in, buy an acre, then act like they control the whole county! I'm not a coon hunter and I don't even know anyone that does but some of you want to put on a real clown show over nothing!

Omega

There is some of the most whining people on here I have ever seen over someone accidentally walking across the corner of your property where there is nothing but trees! The same ones that have a melt down over coon hunters is the same ones that cry about not having turkey and quail in their area when its the coons that destroy a good portion of the nests. If someone walks on your dirt once or twice a year that got lost or turned around and doesn't bother anything is it really that big of a deal? I can understand not wanting people around your house, sheds or barn or if they was doing it regularly, stealing, tearing stuff up or cutting fences but ya'll are over the top over someone walking. You act like those transplants that move in, buy an acre, then act like they control the whole county! I'm not a coon hunter and I don't even know anyone that does but some of you want to put on a real clown show over nothing!
First off, it's private property, and unless you have permission, you shouldn't be there. The problem isn't just the random somebody that does it once by accident, but the random somebody that does it on purpose and continues to do it as if they owned the place. Honestly if asked, I would not have a problem with someone getting their dogs from my property. So if something got lost damaged or whatever, I'd have someone I could talk to about it.

backyardtndeer

Respect goes a long ways. In the nearly 30 I have owned my property, I have had just ONE time that a couple boys came to my door asking permission to hunt. They wanted to turkey hunt. I can't count how many times I have caught people on me during deer season coming after their dogs. On multiple occasions I have even caught dogs and called the numbers on the collars to return them to their owners.

When someone comes over on your property behind your house, or even in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, knowing that they do not have permission to be there, it is wrong. If someone willingly does wrong with that behavior, what's to stop them from doing more after they get away with it.

I busted my tail to be able to buy my property, and have done a lot of work to it to make for better deer hunting. I also pay property taxes on it every year. So yeah, when I have people help themselves to what is mine without so much as asking, it does irritate me a bit. Those people show no respect.

Far as the transplants, I will share my story about the transplants next to me soon. I have had an absolute nightmare.

Latest posts