Game ears for hunting.

Omega

I have always had trouble locating sounds with amplified earmuffs. Are any of these good for direction?
The Howard Leights are good each earmuff has a mic, and does real good with direction, haven't used the Peltors for hunting but I think they are good too.

Bagg-it Tag-it

BSK, on the Tetras....one of the Doctors who started Tetra is Dr Gneikow in Mt Juliet. I went to him about 10 years ago and had him custom make in-ear custom amplified ear protection. I think it is about the same thing as the Tetras....it was about $800 or so. That is expensive but I duck hunt a lot and went to concerts etc as a young person and don't want to lose more hearing. I never wore them deer and turkey hunting but am going to start. After I shot a gobbler this spring my ears were ringing. Nothing is as good as not wearing protection. You get some weird directional stuff and a little wind noise but its not terrible. My hearing hasn't gotten so bad that I actually hear stuff I was missing. So I guess that is good. It isn't perfect but my $800 pair has lasted a decade and it is a price that is worth it to me.

backyardtndeer

I got these for shooting at the range, but they're a big help for hunting, as you can hear better, even if your hearing is normal.
I was pleasantly surprised with the clarity.

Have these as well, and while I haven't used them while sitting in a stand, I do sometimes listen while drinking coffee on my back porch. I like to listen on the mornings that my wife hunts, at least until after I know she had made it to the stand. I can usually hear the leaves if something takes off as she walks down the gully and back up.

hammer33

I have a pair of Walker Razor sport muffs. They do well with gunshot noise. They amplify the crap out of certain frequency. Birds in particular. For some reason they do a poor job with the sound of deer walking in leaves. I could hear Cardinals 50 yards away that sounded like they were in the tree with me, while a deer walked up behind me without me hearing anything. Slipped the muffs off and could hear it walking, put them back on and couldn't hear it unless it broke a twig, even turning the volume up.

Hawk103161

Thats what i was wondering. I also like the idea keeping my ears warm. Thats the part always gets cold first is my ears. Also hearing would help big time. I been looking at Walker's Game Ears razors. I think u can get a pr for 60.00. to 80.00.
Those are great. Use 'em at the range and hog hunting. You can hear them grunting in the woods

Weegee

I've got 2 pairs of the Howard Leight's that work pretty well. Like others have said, wearing them for hours without taking a break can be pretty uncomfortable. I tried a cheap pair of Walker's electronic earplugs one time and I won't use those again. Way more feedback than the muffs, and they use hearing aid batteries, which are a pain. I'm also curious about Tetras and some of the other high end offerings…

Smells Like Sulfur

Whichever ones you get, make sure they at least have dual microphone input, otherwise you can't tell which direction the sound is coming from.

The single mic ones are fine for range day, but if you're actually listening for something specific, they're pretty much useless.

Biggun4214

Although they're quite a bit more expensive than Walker hearing devices, I'm seriously considering the Tetra hearing aids. They have internal programming geared to the type/species being hunted and have sound suppression for gunshots. They were invented by two lifelong hunters that are also hearing care professionals. Talked to one TNdeer member who uses them and really likes them.
I have a set and I'm not sure they're programmed orrectly.

Latest posts