Don’t hold this against me… Bryant-Denny advice needed

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Y'all know who I pull for, but I'm about to go to Bryant-Denny on Nov 18. I've only posted about this once on here in passing, but my wife's cousin was like a sister too her as they grew up together largely being raised by their grandparents. She passed away very quickly just over a year ago from rapidly developing colon cancer… she was under 40yr old. We call her son our nephew. His mom and dad were divorced, and his dad didn't have much to do with him until his mom was on her death bed. No need to bother y'all with dirty laundry in the family, but my wife's cousin really did everything that she could to give him stability and to provide for him. One of his fondest memories of his mom (along with a few beach vacations) was a trip with her to Bryant-Denny to see his beloved Crimson Tide play football. Nobody knows why he picked Bama, but he's been through enough over the years that I will never question that.

Now my family is about to take him to see his favorite team, Alabama, play against UTC in Bryant-Denny. My daughter will be attending UTC next year, and we like to check out the Mocs home games at Finley, but my family has no idea how much different a big college stadium is than the 15k stadium that they are used to. We are definitely not rabid fans, and I HATE crowds, but this is bigger than me. If you haven't put 2 and 2 together yet, I'm giving up opening day of TN rifle season for this.

We are driving down and back that day (noon Eastern kickoff).

Anything that we need to know about, especially since 5 of the 6 in our party will be pulling for the other team?

Suggestions for parking?

Any neighborhoods to avoid? I've driven by the stadium once years ago on accident, and I think I remember some sketchy neighborhoods being nearby.

How long should we alot for parking and getting in for this non-premier game?

Lots of tix available right now, but any particular area that we should prefer as visitors? Would love to find 6 together, but will settle for 3 and 3

How bad are restrooms and concessions in the stadium?

Last edited:

prstide

Anything in and around the stadium is safe. Nothing really sketchy at all. Any of that would've been gentrified well over a decade ago. You can park in downtown Tuscaloosa and walk to the stadium from there or if you prefer, the city runs a shuttle that costs $1 per person that will drive you very near and drop you off. It's not a bad walk so long as everyone is healthy and able. I would try to be there 2 hours prior to kickoff at the latest.
As far as seating/tickets and don't take offense to this but from the standpoint of any Alabama fans being overly aggressive towards UTC fans, I'd say y'all are safe to sit wherever you find the best deal or that fits your needs/budget. Restrooms and concessions are hit and miss depending upon where you are in the stadium(about like most venues). Stay away from both at the peak times like quarter breaks, halftime, etc and it will be much more convenient. Hope this helps some.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Anything in and around the stadium is safe. Nothing really sketchy at all. Any of that would've been gentrified well over a decade ago. You can park in downtown Tuscaloosa and walk to the stadium from there or if you prefer, the city runs a shuttle that costs $1 per person that will drive you very near and drop you off. It's not a bad walk so long as everyone is healthy and able. I would try to be there 2 hours prior to kickoff at the latest.
As far as seating/tickets and don't take offense to this but from the standpoint of any Alabama fans being overly aggressive towards UTC fans, I'd say y'all are safe to sit wherever you find the best deal or that fits your needs/budget. Restrooms and concessions are hit and miss depending upon where you are in the stadium(about like most venues). Stay away from both at the peak times like quarter breaks, halftime, etc and it will be much more convenient. Hope this helps some.
I don't take any offense at all. You'd think that a fan of a sacrificial lamb team wouldn't be treated too poorly, but I've heard too many stories otherwise to not be at least a little concerned about it. And that's not aimed at Bama fans specifically, as I've heard that from fans at several different venues.

The most vivid account that I remember was from a UT fan who actually graduated from UTK. He regularly attended UT games with his family to pull for the vols, but when his nephew got a chance at a scholarship to TTU on the football team he jumped on the opportunity. When TTU came to Neyland to play a game, his family came out to support him and wore their TTU purple in support. He told me that the UT fans were so belligerent towards he and his family (including his young daughters) that he thought that he was going to have to fight his way out of there. He is a LEO and is used to some crap, but was not expecting that level of abusive language or things being thrown at them, especially since he had gone there his whole life and had never seen that before. And he said that it wasn't just a few people either. Said he quit going to UT games altogether after that experience. He didn't know why he had never seen that side of the equation before, but that is what makes me a little nervous

Last edited:

PalsPal

Great advice.

I've never been there, but from my experiences at Neyland, and being a big guy I will mention that it is beneficial to me to sit near an aisle or on a back row. Much easier to get out if going to bathroom or concession.

Also, being older now, I'm not fond of upper decks.

Nowadays you can find stadium charts that you can see exactly where seats are located, and many times will also have a "live" view the field.

Depending on his age, I might avoid the student section, as he might be exposed to some things you'd rather not have him witness from typical college age kids.

Sorry for loss, and kudos to you for stepping up. He'll never forget it!

PalsPal

I don't take any offense at all. You'd think that a fan of a sacrificial lamb team wouldn't be treated too poorly, but I've heard too many stories otherwise to not be at least a little concerned about it. And that's not aimed at Bama fans specifically, as I've heard that from fans at several different venues.

The most vivid account that I remember was from a UT fan who actually graduated from UTK. He regularly attended UT games with his family to pull for the vols, but when his nephew got a chance at a scholarship to TTU he jumped on the opportunity. When TTU came to Neyland to play a game, his family came out to support him and wore their TTU purple in support. He told me that the UT fans were so belligerent towards he and his family (including his young daughters) that he thought that he was going to have to fight his way out of there. He is a LEO and is used to some crap, but was not expecting that level of abusive language or things being thrown at them, especially since he had gone there his whole life and had never seen that before. And he said that it wasn't just a few people either. Said he quit going to UT games altogether after that experience. He didn't know why he had never seen that side of the equation before, but that is what makes me a little nervous

How long ago? That's crazy. Wait did TTU win that game? Kidding.

I've seen some drunk college kids do it, but it has been rare.

Have read multiple opposing teams message boards the past few years and I don't recall any negative experiences, with most being pleasantly surprised. But I'm sure it still happens some.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
How long ago? That's crazy. Wait did TTU win that game? Kidding.

I've seen some drunk college kids do it, but it has been rare.

Have read multiple opposing teams message boards the past few years and I don't recall any negative experiences, with most being pleasantly surprised. But I'm sure it still happens some.
This has been years ago, and TTU was thoroughly pantsed as was expected.

Bamamonts

Y'all know who I pull for, but I'm about to go to Bryant-Denny on Nov 18. I've only posted about this once on here in passing, but my wife's cousin was like a sister too her as they grew up together largely being raised by their grandparents. She passed away very quickly just over a year ago from rapidly developing colon cancer… she was under 40yr old. We call her son our nephew. His mom and dad were divorced, and his dad didn't have much to do with him until his mom was on her death bed. No need to bother y'all with dirty laundry in the family, but my wife's cousin really did everything that she could to give him stability and to provide for him. One of his fondest memories of his mom (along with a few beach vacations) was a trip with her to Bryant-Denny to see his beloved Crimson Tide play football. Nobody knows why he picked Bama, but he's been through enough over the years that I will never question that.

Now my family is about to take him to see his favorite team, Alabama, play against UTC in Bryant-Denny. My daughter will be attending UTC next year, and we like to check out the Mocs home games at Finley, but my family has no idea how much different a big college stadium is than the 15k stadium that they are used to. We are definitely not rabid fans, and I HATE crowds, but this is bigger than me. If you haven't put 2 and 2 together yet, I'm giving up opening day of TN rifle season for this.

We are driving down and back that day (noon Eastern kickoff).

Anything that we need to know about, especially since 5 of the 6 in our party will be pulling for the other team?

Suggestions for parking?

Any neighborhoods to avoid? I've driven by the stadium once years ago on accident, and I think I remember some sketchy neighborhoods being nearby.

How long should we alot for parking and getting in for this non-premier game?

Lots of tix available right now, but any particular area that we should prefer as visitors? Would love to find 6 together, but will settle for 3 and 3

How bad are restrooms and concessions in the stadium?
We park between University Dr and Paul a Bryant pkwy. It's a little walk to the stadium but not too bad. Traffic isn't bad leaving from there either. I think the Boy Scouts did the parking. I think it was $20 for the Ole Miss game this year.
I send you the location on a map if you need it.
I've always felt safe walking around down there. It all seems to be in a good area.
I've never seen anything bad happen at Bryant Denny and I've been to several games there. I'm sure some fans act ugly but I can't recall anything right now.
I love the gameday atmosphere down there. It really is a lot of fun.
I hope y'all have a great!

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
We park between University Dr and Paul a Bryant pkwy. It's a little walk to the stadium but not too bad. Traffic isn't bad leaving from there either. I think the Boy Scouts did the parking. I think it was $20 for the Ole Miss game this year.
I send you the location on a map if you need it.
I've always felt safe walking around down there. It all seems to be in a good area.
I've never seen anything bad happen at Bryant Denny and I've been to several games there. I'm sure some fans act ugly but I can't recall anything right now.
I love the gameday atmosphere down there. It really is a lot of fun.
I hope y'all have a great!
Appreciate that. I would appreciate any information that you could share with me on parking location or otherwise

Gravey

The most vivid account that I remember was from a UT fan who actually graduated from UTK. He regularly attended UT games with his family to pull for the vols, but when his nephew got a chance at a scholarship to TTU on the football team he jumped on the opportunity. When TTU came to Neyland to play a game, his family came out to support him and wore their TTU purple in support. He told me that the UT fans were so belligerent towards he and his family (including his young daughters) that he thought that he was going to have to fight his way out of there. He is a LEO and is used to some crap, but was not expecting that level of abusive language or things being thrown at them, especially since he had gone there his whole life and had never seen that before. And he said that it wasn't just a few people either. Said he quit going to UT games altogether after that experience. He didn't know why he had never seen that side of the equation before, but that is what makes me a little nervous
I went to TTU and when they played a few years ago i went with my kids. Daughter was at UT at the time. I wore a TTU alumni shirt and a UT hat. 🤣

Have fun at the game. Cool thing y'all are doing for him.

JBell

I was there last weekend. Had vols fans sitting near me. If you act like a idiot, someone will reciprocate. If you're acting normal, you will be fine. We had a great time. I wished the vols fans safe journeys on their way home. One lived not far from me in Columbia. It is what you make it

Bamamonts

Appreciate that. I would appreciate any information that you could share with me on parking location or otherwise
We go into town on McFarland Blvd and turn on university dr. Then the parking lot is on the left behind Newks and Starbucks. This is the address that came up on maps.
909 Anna Ave
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
United States

JBell

We parked close to there as well. Just across mcfarland. 1.2 mile walk. We didn't use a shuttle.

Latest posts