Blind draw update

Taylor

Maybe it will all shake down to the "new normal."
Off the cuff, I am sorry for the youth leagues and civic organizations that made money off all those people showing up at small communities...haven't been in a while, did they still do that...?

And I really feel sorry for law enforcement that have to make sure all t's are crossed and i's are dotted the first weekend or so.
Either way, I doubt they'll be too much violence and rioting...maybe.

Ah, the new (ab)normal...

Here's the TWRA release outta Nashville, though most have already read it:

Blind Drawing Process Changed For 2020

NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission passed an emergency rule to provide a different procedure for issuing duck blinds this year to help protect public health due to Covid-19. The action came Friday at the June meeting of the commission held at the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency's Region II Ray Bell Building.
The handheld drawings usually result in large crowds gathering at the various sites. A computerized drawing will be held instead of a handheld drawing for 12 wildlife management areas and applications can be submitted at GoOutdoorsTN.com from July 2-26. Results will be available by Aug. 1 and successful hunters will receive an electronic blind permit. Additional details concerning this year's process will be coming soon
In addition, TWRA will also hold a computerized drawing for all sandhill crane tags and not conduct the traditional in-person drawing for the Southeast Sandhill Crane Zone tags. The application period will be Sept. 2-23 on GoOutdoorsTN.com. More information will also be available in the coming weeks.
An update on chronic wasting disease (CWD) was given. Chuck Yoest, TWRA's CWD Coordinator, said the Agency is in the process of finalizing procurement for the incinerator to be placed in Unit CWD. It will be located at the Fayette County Landfill in Somerville.
In partnership with the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) and the Tennessee Department of Agriculture (TDA), the TWRA is continuing disposal planning for this fall. In, addition, an extensive effort will begin to recruit landowners in strategic CWD areas to supplement hunter harvest to help best manage CWD. Other planning includes developing a comprehensive budget for CWD and preparing to provide CWD testing opportunities to hunters for the deer they harvest this fall.
Fisheries Chief Frank Fiss presented an overview of angler recognition programs. The Tennessee Angler Recognition Program (TARP) started in 2003 and recognizes trophy-sized fish as well as first catches. To date, more than 7,000 entries have identified some of the best waters to fish in the state. Anglers can look to the TWRA website to learn more about these programs and where trophies are being caught.
Jenifer Wisniewski, Outreach and Communications Chief, reported on R3 (Recruitment, Retention, Reactivation) during the Covid-19 pandemic. People are returning to or trying hunting and fishing for the first time this year, and we can see that in the increase in the number of fishing and hunting licenses sold so far. There are several projects on the horizon including brand partnerships, advancing CWD communications, an online store, event system, and continuing outreach and marketing efforts.
The TFWC's next meeting is scheduled for Aug. 20-21 in Kingsport.

flyinpro

To me this is a good thing and levels the field for those of us who had to drive to a draw site from 5 hours away to get skunked. Did it three it three different years and come up empty handed each time. I had written several letters to the commission over the years asking them to to look at the current system. I don't need a blind all season, but it would be nice to get a good one once and a while.

The selling of of the blinds also bothered me some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flyinpro

double browtine":2fnyx9fi said:
Well I think it will be a good thing. This will bust up the big groups that pool together and get several blind sites. The Dover and Camden monopolies will be no more! I bet it never goes back to the on-site drawing after this!
Have to agree browtine. Now I'd just worry about my truck tires. Looked like The Memphis Mafia in Dyersburg one year I think it was.

TimberMan

I bet some groups who draw ever year with the old system will be upset. I'm actually looking forward to it. It gets old seeing the same groups draw every year. I always wished they had shown tickets on a screen instead of just calling names. I just found it hard to believe a group of 8 or 9 could draw every season.

Dodge Man

flyinpro":2xie1ark said:
To me this is a good thing and levels the field for those of us who had to drive to a draw site from 5 hours away to get skunked. Did it three it three different years and come up empty handed each time. I had written several letters to the commission over the years asking them to to look at the current system. I don't need a blind all season, but it would be nice to get a good one once and a while.

So you plan on driving 5 hours multiple days before season to work on and brush a blind? Then make that drive multiple days a week to hunt a blind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge Man

I have gone to blind drawings for 15+ years and never been drawn myself. But I got in with a group and have had the opportunity to hunt most of the best blinds at the site we go to the drawing. We share work and have plenty of days to hunt the blinds. Most of the group with 3-5 people are lucky to get the blinds hunt able and brushed before season. Then they might hunt 1-2 days a week. To me that is wasted resources, if a few of those groups would go together they could get the work done and get to use the blind.

Polarkraft

Dodge Man":nriep2ij said:
flyinpro":nriep2ij said:

So you plan on driving 5 hours multiple days before season to work on and brush a blind? Then make that drive multiple days a week to hunt a blind?

That's the thing here, every tom Richard and harry will put in for the binds. I'm not a fan of only having 24 options either

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Levee Jumper

I hope it's public information on who has a card to each blind drawn. Name and Town would be preferred if people from across the state are going to try and get drawn. It's rough hunting over 50 days a year being 2 miles from the boat ramp. Can't image seriously considering it living 2-8 hours away.

Hduke86

I understand both sides of the discussion for sure. I'm not sure how it'll increase or decrease your odds at different locations now seeing how it's not a one day type deal of "be there" and maybe get a blind or don't be there and you WONT get a blind. Would I like to get a solid blind out in West Tennessee, sure but I'll be the first one to admit that there's NO WAY I'm driving across the state more than a couple of my off days. I'll just hope to snag a blind at my usual place and another question is "what if" you get picked but for some unlucky reason by the time you get picked ALL 24 of your choices are gone? Will be interesting to see how many folks put in for different places.

flyinpro

Dodge Man":iapywyrn said:
flyinpro":iapywyrn said:

No Sir, probably not. But the way it was I had almost no chance of drawing anything. I've brushed the day of in the past in other places and it's my own fault for living so far away, but some chance is better than no chance.

Polarkraft

flyinpro":3tpjz2el said:
Dodge Man":3tpjz2el said:
flyinpro":3tpjz2el said:

No Sir, probably not. But the way it was I had almost no chance of drawing anything. I've brushed the day of in the past in other places and it's my own fault for living so far away, but some chance is better than no chance.

But that screws the guy who can be there every weekend or every day for that matter

drake799

I wish they'd make it where you had to draw in the region you're located in. I know it's all public land but I'd say the odds of someone drawing a blind 3+ hrs away and hunting it enough to matter are very very slim. There are thousands of people within a hr drive that would gladly utilize them more

TAFKAP

JBell":4phjulei said:
There will be a whole bunch of single card blinds this year....

There were last year at Reelfoot. They ended the "get drawn, sign on all your friends, and pick your spot" method. They drew their 60-some-odd names, and those people had to add their names on the spot. THEN, they would re-draw from that pool for each person to pick their spot. Nobody wanted to be an add on because it would eliminate their chance to be drawn.

But miracle of miracles, a number of regulars managed to secure multiple locations.

flyinpro

Polarkraft":3i0hachg said:
flyinpro":3i0hachg said:
Dodge Man":3i0hachg said:
flyinpro said:

But that screws the guy who can be there every weekend or every day for that matter

Yes Sir, can see that. However is there an still the advantage being there at daylight & if the signee is not there, it's his blind??

Polarkraft

flyinpro":308u4vs4 said:
Polarkraft":308u4vs4 said:
flyinpro":308u4vs4 said:
Dodge Man said:
flyinpro said:

Yes Sir, can see that. However is there an still the advantage being there at daylight & if the signee is not there, it's his blind??

They literally just said they wouldn't be able to do the work to get it ready. So it screws the system to have an un brushed blind

Dodge Man

Hduke86":11sm4k2w said:
I understand both sides of the discussion for sure. I'm not sure how it'll increase or decrease your odds at different locations now seeing how it's not a one day type deal of "be there" and maybe get a blind or don't be there and you WONT get a blind. Would I like to get a solid blind out in West Tennessee, sure but I'll be the first one to admit that there's NO WAY I'm driving across the state more than a couple of my off days. I'll just hope to snag a blind at my usual place and another question is "what if" you get picked but for some unlucky reason by the time you get picked ALL 24 of your choices are gone? Will be interesting to see how many folks put in for different places.
You can only enter for 1 location. You can not enter for blinds at different spots.

Dodge Man

Dodge Man":1733xmcp said:
Hduke86":1733xmcp said:
You can only enter for 1 location. You can not enter for blinds at different spots.

c15cffbda3673e2e5661588786ed4333.jpg

Hduke86

Dodge Man":2zlz5srz said:
Dodge Man":2zlz5srz said:
Hduke86":2zlz5srz said:

Yea I understand the one wma location, I'm talking about the "24 prioritized" blind spots. I know by the time the top 24 blinds on any given wma are gone that the rest may be gar holes but say for some unlucky reason I get picked 25th and somehow the 24 people in front of me picked my 24 spots already, I wonder how they'll handle that

Polarkraft

Hduke86":3ooahao0 said:
Dodge Man":3ooahao0 said:
Dodge Man":3ooahao0 said:
Hduke86 said:

Yea I understand the one wma location, I'm talking about the "24 prioritized" blind spots. I know by the time the top 24 blinds on any given wma are gone that the rest may be gar holes but say for some unlucky reason I get picked 25th and somehow the 24 people in front of me picked my 24 spots already, I wonder how they'll handle that
You will get passed. The computer will draw the next person. If that person has an available blind on thier list they will get it

Latest posts