Glass boat question

Spurhunter

I have never owned a glass boat, but I have run up on something interesting. I know where there is a one owner 1986 Champion 181 with a Mariner 150 that was recently rebuilt by one of the most respected outboard techs in our area. I have zero questions about the motor. I know the boat has been well cared for. My question: is a 96 model boat out of the question? I hear about stress cracks with glass and that is my concern. I have driven and fished out of this boat and really like it, but I don't want to buy something that could be trouble. What say you?

X-Tennessean

If you know the owner and mechanic and have faith in the two of them I wouldn't hesitate, especially at a good buy! I would guess you could tell alot from the appearance of the rig of how it has been treated and maintained.

It is just not glass boats that get stress cracks, I have a friend who just got his 22/70 Excel back from the factory for repair on broken welds and stress cracks but he fishes some of the roughest water that I have ever seen.....no way I would fish the water I have seen him share videos of!!
Not that he abuses his equipment but he shore ain't afraid to use it!!

Crappieaddict

I bought an 89 Javelin about 4 years ago. Fished in it VERY regularly until just over a month ago when I sold it. The transom was still solid. I did repair a soft spot about 2 years ago, and during the process, extended the deck. It was and is a solid boat that I sold for more than I paid for it. The gel coat was faded, but the fish would still bite!

Kirk

If the boat has been cared for and treated decently it should be fine for many more years. I have 1998 Stratos that is showing some signs of age. The gel coat is cracking in a few places and is starting to dull out. When I want it to shine I get a can of Lemon Pledge and spray it on the gel coat, let it set for a few minutes and rub it off. Shines it right up.

The transom is the portion of the boat where failure will occur the most often. If it is good, deck seems solid you should be fine.

One way to check for leak, with boat dry and setting level, turn on bilge pumps let it drain out any water that may be in from last trip. Make sure plug is in place and put in water. Turn on bilge for a minute just to make sure you didn't miss anything on dry land. Let the boat set for about 20 minutes and turn on the bilge pump again. If the bilge starts blowing out water you have a leak. (Sometimes livewell pumps will leak water in the boat so that is a possibility as well.) Personally, if it failed that simple leak test I wouldn't buy it.

WTM

+1 on kirk and pilchard, neglected glass boats rot from the inside out. most stress cracks arent a problem if you take care of them, its when water penetrates and breaks down the resin is the problem. if its been garage kept and not sitting outside, i wouldnt be scared of it.

Pilchard

Stringers can also be an issue in older glass boats.

Before moving to TN, I used to buy up every old Morgan I could find in Florida and would pay to have them completely rebuilt. Stringers, deck, transom, the whole deal. These were the boats that were used to haul pot through the Everglades in the 80s and a favorite among commercial fisherman. They were a 24' center console that you could really put a lot of weight in and also run them comfortably in a foot of water.

I'll admit none of them were garage kept but every single one needed all of the wood removed and replaced with modern Coosa board which is lighter and doesn't rot.

Latest posts