Zebra midges

JN

Depends on where you are fishing at. I have used 18's before and had success but on rivers like S. Holston or at Wilbur like have to use the small ones to get the bites.

Buzzard Breath

I always start with 16's on the Caney and Clinch because I can tie them on without getting out my readers. I have no issue catching fish and usually don't have to go smaller.

CATCHDAWG

I never put much thought into the size of the bugs I cast. 16's are usually the smallest I go, mostly because it's the smallest I can see and tie. It might matter when fishing tailwaters but the wild streams I fish, I've never noticed a difference. I even barely "match the hatch" if the trout are feeding, they will eat. I have fished huge mayfly hatches when I didn't have anything to imitate one and caught plenty on caddis fly patterns and vise versus. I think presentation and drift outweighs the other variables.

Iglow

I was wondering cause I've never fished one down to like #20 size but wondered if it would get more hits. Till I tried the mighty midge I never believed such a tiny fly could hammer such big fish,all my best fish have come on midges #16 and #18 , hoppers are second.

JN

I was wondering cause I've never fished one down to like #20 size but wondered if it would get more hits. Till I tried the mighty midge I never believed such a tiny fly could hammer such big fish,all my best fish have come on midges #16 and #18 , hoppers are second.
Same here some of the biggest trout I have caught have come from a midge.

Setterman

A midge is essentially a small aquatic gnat. My experience is if you fish a dark,colored nymph either 16/18 it will work every day of the year. Tailwater fish aren't that complicated when it comes to flies most days.

Buzzard Breath

What would you guess the times that something like a Ray Charles would out produce a zebra?
Don't overthink it. Tie up some 16 and 18 zebra midges in olive or black and go catch fish. I like olive, for no real reason. My buddies fish black. I usually outfish them, but only because I'm better at manipulating my line for a longer drift. If you want to get fancy, throw in a few 16 and 18 pheasant tails. As long as your fly somewhat resembles a midge, your presentation is probably the most important thing.

Iglow

I got some 3x glasses and one of those hackle push holder things and I'm gonna try some 20 and 22 with7x fluro just for fun. I was up there this morning and there was millions if not billions of midge shucks on the river and they were tiny.

JN

I've had some luck with hoppers in the early fall and have read about beetles, what's a good beetle to tie that ain't too complicated and works?
The foam beetles seems to hold up best for me. I usually do rubber legs and a peacock herl and sometimes add a bead to the body. Just look up how to tie a simple foam beetle and there are YouTube videos of it. The beetle with a dropper off of it works really good through summer.

Latest posts