Yuchi Intel

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I won't post anything specific enough in here to lead anyone to one spot or another, but I will tell everyone what I saw today as my son and I hiked almost 3 miles through the WMA:

-lots of acorns already on the ground. I know that most of these are "extras", and/or knocked down in the wind, but it looks to be a bumper crop up there

-lots of trees down throughout the woods. Areas that used to be open are now broken by deadfall

-a new road has been cut into the ridges for some reason. It cuts in at a new gate on the north boundary at the center road. It goes right through the middle of Buck Hollow, and I can't figure it out. It's almost too steep to walk up in some places (it's the ridges, whaddaya expect? It's no fun for a 42yr old fat man with 40 extra pounds on his back as he preps for going out west this fall. Especially with blistered heels… I'm such a freaking pansy), so I'm sure that they won't be opening it up to drive vehicles in on, and it has no gravel on it or even rip rap at creek crossings. Kind of a mess for the stream back there, as sediment is built up so bad you have to cut off of the road to cross or else you'll sink up to your shins. Most people will not be willing to walk it due to its steepness, but I'm afraid that someone might get brave/crazy/not realize how steep it is until they go down it, try it and get themselves hurt or shoot a deer that they can't get back out. I'm really not sure of it's purpose, but it cuts right through the middle of two of my favorite places to hunt, so I'm really worried that my favorite quiet places may now be ruined. If they plant it rather than gravel it in the future then it may provide good habitat since it's just cutting through mature hardwoods, but I wish that they would have put it just about anywhere else. I'll figure it out I'm sure

-it looks like they may have cut another road into the center going into the deadfall bowl as well, but I'll have to check it out later to verify. It may just be an ag pull in where it's usually just been dirt, but if not it may also steer people into an area that is often no fun to get to, or just out of sight. They may also be getting equipment in there to clean up some widow makers for all I know. Not going to mention specifics, but one spot in there has typically been a fallback plan for me since it's ugly and unassuming.

-corn on the fields

Anyhow, not pointing anyone to any spots, but I may be providing some information to help steer you in the right direction of your scouting focus.

The pic was at the halfway point of my hike. These boots have never blistered me before, so not sure what's up other than just being old and soft
IMG_2111.jpeg

timberjack86

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Blister Band aids work really well to speed up the healing.
You may want to try and toughen them up.
Thank you for the tips. I've been in these boots quite a bit lately, but on flattER ground. I'm 100% sure that the sweat made a difference on this hike, as I normally summertime hike in hikers, but I'm trying to get my feet accustomed to the higher ankles of my hunting boots. I should have brought leukotape and applied it as soon as I got hotspots, but you know about hindsight

Latest posts