Your County Wildlife Officer

TheLBLman

Seems I'm often reading posts "bashing" a wildlife officer, and I've certainly done some bashing myself of the TWRA (the "agency" as well as the "commission") but seldom a county wildlife officer.

Most county wildlife officers are great guys (a few are great women) who work very hard, and provide us great services, especially CONSIDERING THEIR LACK of "RESOURCES".

The biggest LACK of "resources" is man-power, as there is typically only a single wildlife officer assigned to each of TN's 95 counties. Obviously, they cannot be everywhere in the county at once, and they do need to sleep a few hours nightly. But they're also "on call" 24/7, and most seldom get 8 hrs straight of "off" time without a work-related call.

Having a county man-power force of ONE (1) is certainly a very different situation than say a typical county sheriff department, which may have many deputies simultaneously "on the clock" at all times, and patrolling in multiple patrol vehicles all over a county simultaneously.

But one aspect of a county wildlife officer's job description many are not aware:

In Tennessee, county wildlife officer are 1st Responders.

This means they are often called to accident scenes, home invasions, and armed robbery locations whenever they just happen to have the good fortune of being closer than some other law officer or paramedic.

Our county wildlife officers are "back-up" to the Sherriff Dept. and the paramedics. Of course, will have to give credit to the county sheriff departments in their backing up a county wildlife officer any time a wildlife officer requests from concern of his being in a particularly violent or threatening situation (which can be often).

As but one example of a wildlife officer's day, and why he might not be available to come investigate a poaching, there was a State Trooper shot multiple times yesterday in Kentucky. A Kentucky wildlife officer was the 1st Responder, and transported the wounded trooper to a hospital, where he was treated until being taken to a different hospital with a trauma center.

Just saying, sometimes we need to walk a mile in the moccasins of those we might be about to criticize for . . . . . . .

backyardtndeer

I don't know our current warden yet. The warden we had retired a few years ago, had nothing but respect for him. He was or is an all around good guy. Sure hated that he retired.

I heard about the trooper in Kentucky being shot, but hadn't heard about a wildlife officer being the first responder in that shooting. Hope the trooper pulls through, last I heard this morning, I think the reporter said he was in surgery.

PickettSFHunter

What about when your "wildlife officer" actually works another job instead of his TWRA job and everyone knows it? What about when he tells people that he doesn't care anymore because you can't change the culture? Neither he nor his family can go to town without getting harassed so I get it. Our judge actually does do a good job with poachers but you just can't change the culture, you can at least make poachers worry about getting caught. I agree with our warden on the culture but don't agree that you should just retire in place and work another job while drawing that state paycheck also. If he isn't willing to work, then we need another warden, plain and simple. What worries me most of all is, where is the supervisor? Is there no supervisory level person actually making sure this guy is working his state job and not another job?

41Magnum

For the most part I've had good relations with our local wildlife officers. Always been helpful and personable. We had one in an adjoining county that was, well, let's say he would have made a great prison guard. Worst attitude I've ever seen for a wildlife officer. He moved on some years ago.

TheLBLman

Tennessee has 95 counties.
I'm sure the situation is a bit different in each one.
But I know most county wildlife officers are just like most professionals in that most are dedicated.
Same can be said for most law enforcement officers, regardless of title or role.

Occasionally, just like in all other professions, there is a bad apple in a barrel of good ones.
All I can say is I particularly would not want to be a county wildlife officer in Fentress County, where the "culture" of wildlife poaching greatly exceeds the "resources" of any assigned wildlife officer.

Last edited:

Acorn

Giles County must not be over worked. He has time to walk private property, turning off trail cams, so you don't know it's him on your land.
If these guys are on your property there is a reason why. Someone has reported something or a neighbor has killed a deer with corn in it and is concerned that someone may be poaching deer over corn piles or feeders. It sucks when you do work all year on your property for deer habitat and food plots to have a neighbor killing them over corn. We have people that come in from out of town that do this a lot. I'm a land owner and have to deal with this from time to time. If I kill a deer with corn in it I report it to them and they will check it out.

Biggun4214

Seems I'm often reading posts "bashing" a wildlife officer, and I've certainly done some bashing myself of the TWRA (the "agency" as well as the "commission") but seldom a county wildlife officer.

Most county wildlife officers are great guys (a few are great women) who work very hard, and provide us great services, especially CONSIDERING THEIR LACK of "RESOURCES".

The biggest LACK of "resources" is man-power, as there is typically only a single wildlife officer assigned to each of TN's 95 counties. Obviously, they cannot be everywhere in the county at once, and they do need to sleep a few hours nightly. But they're also "on call" 24/7, and most seldom get 8 hrs straight of "off" time without a work-related call.

Having a county man-power force of ONE (1) is certainly a very different situation than say a typical county sheriff department, which may have many deputies simultaneously "on the clock" at all times, and patrolling in multiple patrol vehicles all over a county simultaneously.

But one aspect of a county wildlife officer's job description many are not aware:

This means they are often called to accident scenes, home invasions, and armed robbery locations whenever they just happen to have the good fortune of being closer than some other law officer or paramedic.

Our county wildlife officers are "back-up" to the Sherriff Dept. and the paramedics. Of course, will have to give credit to the county sheriff departments in their backing up a county wildlife officer any time a wildlife officer requests from concern of his being in a particularly violent or threatening situation (which can be often).

As but one example of a wildlife officer's day, and why he might not be available to come investigate a poaching, there was a State Trooper shot multiple times yesterday in Kentucky. A Kentucky wildlife officer was the 1st Responder, and transported the wounded trooper to a hospital, where he was treated until being taken to a different hospital with a trauma center.

Just saying, sometimes we need to walk a mile in the moccasins of those we might be about to criticize for . . . . . . .

Every wildlife officer has a different personality just like everyone on here. Different situations trigger different reactions.
I had an answering machine that said if this is a wildlife call please call 800-332-0900. The usual response was I know this is your home phone but…..
When we got cell phones I think half the county had my personal number and the other half had my state number.
Not only me but my wife would get stopped by the public and asked questions. Couldn't go anywhere without hearing stories or being asked questions.
After being retired for almost 3 years ihe calls and being stopped still continues just not as often.
A little something to think about.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
If I encounter an officer out, and in uniform, I don't mind stopping and asking a question if I have on, but if they're in civilian clothes, they're off duty, and are to be left alone, unless it's just a "howdy, how you doing today". I've always had good luck just calling the region office for questions and having them answer, transfer the call to someone who can, or getting a call back.

budro2

Every wildlife officer has a different personality just like everyone on here. Different situations trigger different reactions.
I had an answering machine that said if this is a wildlife call please call 800-332-0900. The usual response was I know this is your home phone but…..
When we got cell phones I think half the county had my personal number and the other half had my state number.
Not only me but my wife would get stopped by the public and asked questions. Couldn't go anywhere without hearing stories or being asked questions.
After being retired for almost 3 years ihe calls and being stopped still continues just not as often.
A little something to think about.

Sounds like it really was not the job for you,
Didn't want to take calls , referred them to the 800 number , and didn't want to discuss issues when you met people in person .
Yes, I know it gets old but that what the job was about.

BigDave12

Well, well said LBLman!

Latest posts