Yes they do eat peppers...

catman529

One of y'all posted a while back how the hornworms had gotten into the bell peppers.

Now I've had a couple on the eggplant this year, but today I noticed some missing foliage on a Carolina Reaper plant. I found not one, but two of these bastages....

7c79a41ce4d22aae64a949438800b033.jpg

9719b4865eaa7ac8c7417973283d357e.jpg

The duck gladly took care of em

b290696eb169b6ca08bc3dd4dbd6790a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chapman

I never had them on my peppers, only tomatoes. I never wanted to grab one with my bare hands, even though they are harmless.

catman529

Chapman":abnbzsq8 said:
I never had them on my peppers, only tomatoes. I never wanted to grab one with my bare hands, even though they are harmless.
when you grab them they vomit green on you

8a1b1e5299d28d6d9d2aec502d15e25b.jpg

catman529

Chapman":2vyo39v6 said:
Man, you've got an infestation there. I'm going to have to pass on touching them, I stick them with my knife.
I raised this ugly Muscovy duck that eats the crap out of them. So that's why I kept a handful of em

catman529

Forvols":rhk1nivm said:
So on them hot peppers does any of the heat translate to the leaves etc? Figure them worms and now duck got some heat on both ends. And regarding the Duck you need to train him to go pick his own worms kind of like a watch dog.
heat doesn't grow in the leaves, just the veins and seeds of the peppers. Also it wouldn't affect a caterpillar or a duck either. I'm pretty sure all birds are not affected by capsaicin.

I wish the duck would eat them off the plant but most worms are too high up to reach and I have chicken wire around my main garden.

WTM

the actual seeds contain very little capsaicin. its only with the residual conact with the placenta membrane that they contain any. all of the "heat" is stored in the placenta, ribs, and blister membrane on the pepper walls.

all the capsaicin can be dissolved and washed of after the membranes have been removed with a milk or alcohol soaking. if you want half the heat then just remove the membranes.

Vince

So, that's what wiped my four bell pepper plants clean of any leaves. They even drilled few peppers. All this after both my tomato plants were wiped clean. :livid: I was still searching for these on the tomato plants and didn't see any. May go back home and burn the whole darn raised bed.

catman529

WTM":91ry0rwf said:
the actual seeds contain very little capsaicin. its only with the residual conact with the placenta membrane that they contain any. all of the "heat" is stored in the placenta, ribs, and blister membrane on the pepper walls.

all the capsaicin can be dissolved and washed of after the membranes have been removed with a milk or alcohol soaking. if you want half the heat then just remove the membranes.
the seeds are full of capsaicin, just eat some to taste it. They don't produce it though, it is transferred from contact with the placental tissue where they grow from.

WTM

catman529":2bw74yqw said:
WTM":2bw74yqw said:

the seeds are full of capsaicin, just eat some to taste it. They don't produce it though, it is transferred from contact with the placental tissue where they grow from.

lol, hmmmm.