• Help Support TNDeer:

Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!!

Deez

Deer fellow hunters:

It has been brought to my attention that a portion of the Yanahli WMA located off of Iron Bridge Rd is up to be appropriated to be a county park. The county parks director is looking to develop the land into trails for horse back riders, canoers, etc and to build some type of pavilion to display historic artifacts. The amount of land equates to over 400 acres located along the Duck River across from the boat ramp on Iron Bridge Rd with a possible large amount of land added in the future along with talks of a potential state park. I have contacted my local NWTF chapter but have not heard back from them. I have already talked to some county commissioners about this and am unsure about their stance on this. The state TWRA office has already written a letter of support for this project to the county due to TVA's guidelines when they gave the land to TWRA to manage stating along the lines of "allowing some of it to be used for other recreational uses and wildlife watching"; therefore, TWRA pretty much has to support the project although all do not agree with it. This land will be CLOSED to hunting if approved.

Where we stand now: This has gone to the Health and Environment Committee and Budget Committee and has passed and is now sent to the full commission (Maury County). If the commission approves it at their next meeting it will allow the county to enter into negotiations with TWRA concerning insurance, lease agreements, etc. and will allow them to begin applying for grants to develop the property. I was told by the Maury County Mayor that this would have to go back in front of all the committees and commission for final approval once the agreements and insurance were worked out. I would like for it to not make it that far.

Hunter are continuously losing land to hunt on and I am not willing to just let this land go without my voice being heard. I am looking for support from members on here who not only hunt Yanahli, but are just overall concerned about our hunting rights. The meeting will be held in the Tom Primm Commission Room located @ 6 Public Square in Columbia, TN.

The county commissioner who proposed this is Linda Whiteside and her phone number is: 931-285-2250 and her email is: [email protected]

I would like all of you to call and let her know that the current hunting use of the land is adequate and that the reappropriation will not only deprive hunters, but will take money from the local economy. Yanahli draws hunters from all over the state, southeast, and farther which brings in a large revenue stream to this county. I hunt Yanahli myself and saw plates from Arkansas, Mississippi, New York, Florida, Alabama, and KY, and these were just the ones I saw. If we allow this portion of the land to be taken, where will it stop?

Catman529....I better get some support from you!!! : )

Attached are the articles in the Columbia Daily Herald:

http://columbiadailyherald.com/sections ... -park.html

Gonna do some contacting here soon, I don't want to see any par of yanahli destroyed by "recreational use"... Never hunted off iron bridge but don't want to see ANY part of the WMA go to waste. Thanks for sharing.

I will chime in. This has sort of (and still is) happened to Percy Priest WMA. Due to all of the local residential development, it is absolutely impossible to hunt. I've only hunted it twice this year and both times had random folks walk up and bust birds that I was watching. I understand that everyone has a right to use the land but what about the hunter's right???

pressfit said:
Did yanahli come about when tva was forced to shut down the dam because of the snail darter?
Yes, and that sucker is everywhere. My family is from Somerset, Ky and they don't have a bridge crossing the creeks feeding Land Cumberland unless it is for an interstate for that sucker!

Poser said:
drrxnupe said:
I will chime in. This has sort of (and still is) happened to Percy Priest WMA. Due to all of the local residential development, it is absolutely impossible to hunt. I've only hunted it twice this year and both times had random folks walk up and bust birds that I was watching. I understand that everyone has a right to use the land but what about the hunter's right???

Just comes with the territory on PP. Its basically urban hunting. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this. Since that land is COE land, they don't even have to let us hunt it. Would you rather hunt and deal with suburbanites or not be able to hunt it? because those are the only possible 2 options. Even if it was state land/dedicated WMA that required a hunting license to be on during big game seasons, there is no way TWRA would have the man power to enforce that.

I understand your point Poser. Really does suck. One of the guys who came in on me was wearing an orange vest as if he knew what he was doing. To be honest...sometimes I wish they'd just go ahead and make it a safety zone.

bowtechgump said:
pressfit said:
Did yanahli come about when tva was forced to shut down the dam because of the snail darter?
Yes, and that sucker is everywhere. My family is from Somerset, Ky and they don't have a bridge crossing the creeks feeding Land Cumberland unless it is for an interstate for that sucker!

My dad has/had a real close fried who lived on a big family farm that tva "confiscated" in order to build the dam.. 2-300 hundred acres.. well when it got canceled he tried to buy back his family farm... which is still there... and they said "no dice"..

bowtechgump said:
pressfit said:

I believe this is inaccurate. The Columbia Dam Project was shut down because of an endangered mussel, not the snail darter.

kdxdude said:
bowtechgump said:
pressfit said:

I believe this is inaccurate. The Columbia Dam Project was shut down because of an endangered mussel, not the snail darter.
I agree they tell you it was because of a mussel now that is true. However when the dam project was first overturned it was because of a snail darter which was found a few years later to not be "endangered" at all. The quick fix was on then and the "mussel" was the official red herring to foot the bill.

bowtechgump said:
kdxdude said:
bowtechgump said:
pressfit said:

But then you can read this and get more info on conspiracies.....
http://www.t-g.com/story/1284225.html
I agree they tell you it was because of a mussel now that is true. However when the dam project was first overturned it was because of a snail darter which was found a few years later to not be "endangered" at all. The quick fix was on then and the "mussel" was the official red herring to foot the bill.

One thing is funny about the whole thing. I have friends with the TWRA and they say TVA is once again looking to build a dam in the Columbia area. It seems that with the growth in this region that Normandy is falling short and there are two options to alleviate the issue. The first is to up-size Normandy dam the latter is a dam in Columbia not along the "Duck" but maybe on a major creek tributary like Fountain. Who knows what may happen but one thing is a guaranteed the government will buy/take the land and waste the money and the farmland. Yanahli II!!!!????

Latest posts

Back