WY Antelope Help

'borohunter

Noticed WY antelope draw is June 1st. Hadn't realized there's still a chance for the draw and clearly late to the game so may be a little unfair to ask this now... I've hunted Colorado so familiar with their draw (elk and deer) but not tried Wyoming. Are there decent areas that require 1 or 0 PP (thinking of putting in for PP this year)? Would love to take my daughter next year and would be a 1st for each of us. Public land DIY is what we'd be after - don't care about a trophy. What are the differences in WY vs. CO draw system? I know CO now requires a license before you put in for the draw. Thanks.

tellico4x4

Plenty of places to draw WY with 0 or 1pp. Usually leftover tags to buy. The worst antelope unit in WY is better than most states. Easy to do a diy. If willing to pay a tresspass fee, it even gets better. PP purchase period July thru October.

IMO, WY is the last great western state to hunt (SD not bad). Rest of them have been ruined or in process of being ruined by liberals. Just my opinion after 41 yrs hunting 13 western states.

Also, a youth pp only cost $10 per species (antelope, deer,elk). Can start buying at 11 yrs old as long as they are 12 by season opener.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

'borohunter

So had hoped to draw CO for mule deer with my daughter this year and try for antelope in WY next year. Didn't draw CO so may try to switch... Any direction on units that typically have leftover permits or best resource to study? Don't mind doing my homework but have been used to CO draw system and not sure how WY works or where to start. Will do PP regardless. Appreciate any help/ Thanks.

AT Hiker

'borohunter":7luwhu1c said:
So had hoped to draw CO for mule deer with my daughter this year and try for antelope in WY next year. Didn't draw CO so may try to switch... Any direction on units that typically have leftover permits or best resource to study? Don't mind doing my homework but have been used to CO draw system and not sure how WY works or where to start. Will do PP regardless. Appreciate any help/ Thanks.

Leftover units and 0 point units are typically going to have less public land and less antelope on that land.

WY is a preference point state and the game and fish list the previous years draw odds. WY also has two options for drawing a tag with your points, the regular draw (cost less $) and the special (cost more $). Simply look up the odds for each and see if its worth the extra coin. They also will have a random tag or two in a unit as well for non residents. This allows you the chance to draw a tag without point considerations. The game and fish list that as well.

So, buy you a point for this year and start researching units. You will probably need a couple points to have a quality public land hunt in WY.

Latest posts