WTT

LadyMarlin

R.I.P.
Hey guys,

Spouse and I are interested in a youth rifle for our oldest grandson who is begging to go deerhunting.
We have a youth model 243 with the short stock, but he isn't quite 'big enough' to handle that just yet.
So spouse wants to offer his Remington 30/06 for trade on a 'less kicking' youth model rifle if anyone is interested.

Also, if you have any suggestions of what to look for in a youth rifle ie size, style, model, please comment.

This young boy is an excellent shot with a 22 full size and 410, but both have too long stocks for him to properly shoulder said guns. His father is leary of the boy shooting anything other than a BB gun. But aren't grandparents suppose to spoil those grand kids? Papa wants to take him hunting just as much as the boy wants to go. Any help appreciated!

KANATI McD

I had the same problem as you did, my boy wasn't ready for a rifle but he was bound and determined to go. The only solution i came up with was a 410 with a slug and scope. It was deadly up to about 60 yards

10mm4me

Where u @ in TN. It doesn't get much lighter than a .243. I guess you could try a .223. What kind of 30-06 is it?

LadyMarlin

R.I.P.
Well, I guess the first year it should be mostly learning the ins and outs of hunting, not really focusing on a kill. If he did take a shot with the 410 it would be a close shot anyway.

West Tn, the 30.06 is a semi auto Remington. Spouse's second rifle, he is addicted to his 300mag now. He has had three different rifles to my one. I won't turn loose of my trusty 30-30.
:)

rubber

Both my daughters killed deer with a 410 single shot i had cut the stock off to fit them and then i bought a rubber butt plate to put over it you couldn't tell it wasnt factory. 2 yrs later i put dios in the stock and put it back together and sold it.

Traditional

For what it's worth, my son shot his first two deer last year at 7 with a Winchester Model 94 30-30. He shoots the Remington Managed Recoil loads with a limb saver slip on pad. He is a small framed boy and can by no means free hand the rifle, but shoots very well from a rest. We tried the youth model guns first and they were just plain brutal due to the light weight of the gun.

AllOutdoors

I bought a H&R 7mm-08 youth model. Cut another inch off the stock and replace the recoil pad. My 9 yr. old daughter shoots it great. Killed her first deer last year at 60 yards. I handload reduced loads with 120 grain bullets. Recoil is similar to 223. Also you can get the managed recoil loads.

Latest posts