WTB WTB 40-65 WCF or 45-70 brass

Wanted to Buy

jakeway

I just bought a 40-65 WCF rifle (DGW Sharps) and need all the related reloading supplies. If anyone has some brass, or some empty 45-70 cases (which can easily be reformed) please let me know.

I'm in Hendersonville, but this stuff should be easily mailed.

jakeway

Buffalo Arms is your go to supplier
You can also get on the Shiloh Sharps web site and chat with plenty of black cartridge people
Thanks. I read your posts from a few years ago on TNDeer. I got 60 rounds of ammo with the rifle, so I can at least get a little range time in before the dies arrive.

jakeway

I can decently answer most questions if your using black powder and casting your own bullets
I'm thinking of starting with black powder or substitutes (I have a few lbs of Goex FFF, a lb of FF, and about 7 lbs of APP. I use APP in 38 SPCL and in 45 Colt in my Cowboy Action matches, but about half the time I shoot smokeless. They have "Long Range" competitions in Wartrace TN once a month, but the range is only 200 yards. I'll probably get a lot of advice from those folks.

I bought the gun sight unseen at an online estate auction, along with 61 rounds of handloads. The previous owner kept pretty good notes on the cartridge box of the ammo, including sight settings from 100 yrds out to 450 yrds. Unfortunately some of the notes are semi-shorthand and hard to read. I know the ammo was loaded with 300 gr cast spire point bullets, but I don't know the diameter nor the mold number. The powder is IMR 4198, but the charge amount isn't listed. The cases are nickel plated Starline 40-65, and have been loaded 11 times. I'm going to pull one of the bullets and mike the bullet and weigh the charge.

The rifle's date code shows it was made in 1997, but their isn't a scratch on it and absolutely no rust. Well oiled inside and out.

This is going to be an entertaining adventure.

jakeway

Starline sells brass at a reasonable price. I have a bunch and will sell you as many as you like at the same price Starline charges provided you come to my house to pick it up. Or can ship on your dime
Thanks for the offer. Starline is not taking backorders on the 40-65, nor is anyone else. But I needed to add a little to my Midway order to get free shipping, so I added some Starline 45-70 brass to the order. Depending on how the re-sizing goes, I may contact you later to get some of yours.

BTW, where do you live? I don't think I can drive to "Alaska or Bust".

Chaneylake

My cast bullets weighed 422.6 grains each when I was having a good casting session. I never cast over 100 per session.

I used 1.5 Swiss black powder.
I would cut .40 round coffee filter pieces to put one in the bottom of the cases before I dropped my powder.

I pan lubed the bullets.

An "inline bullet seater" is a must imo.

Latest posts