WSM Popularity Article.

Tiny

Read a short article a little while ago in the latest "Rifle"
"Whats New for 2008" by Dave Scovill.

He says the popularity of the WSM's based on "...a little asking around..." the .300 leads the pack followed by the .325,.270 and 7mm WSMs.

Would have thought the 325 to be at the tail end of the pack.
So much for my thinking. :eek: :D

Tnyoteboy

Can anyone actually prove that any WSM/WSSM/SAUM/whatever does a better job than a standard cartridge? I'm all about getting what you want, but is there anything that they can do that a 30/06 or a 7 Rem mag can't? I understand the shorter action/stiffer action explanations. I also would like to see how long they will last.

Tikkabuck

Tnyoteboy said:
Can anyone actually prove that any WSM/WSSM/SAUM/whatever does a better job than a standard cartridge? I'm all about getting what you want, but is there anything that they can do that a 30/06 or a 7 Rem mag can't? I understand the shorter action/stiffer action explanations. I also would like to see how long they will last.

Don't know if it's proof or not,I've always been a die hard .270 fan but always wished I could get a .270 Weatherby just for those times when I knew I could possably have a chance at a really long range shot but the price of Weatherby brass and their guns was outta my reach. Out comes Winchester with my answer. I have shot 2 deer with my 270 wsm in the past with one shot kills I knew I couldn't have done with my standard 270 with out figuring evlavation and such. I've had the 300 and the 270 wsm's,in my mind the 270 wsm filled a hole no one else had and I hope will be around for a long time

ewc

"I have shot 2 deer with my 270 wsm in the past with one shot kills I knew I couldn't have done with my standard 270 with out figuring evlavation and such"

There's only about a 3" elevation difference between the 2 at 400 yards.

Confidence in a certain gun is one thing, but a 270 wsm won't do anything a 270 can't also do. A 200 fps advantage really isn't seen in the field.

FWIW- I've got both of them plus a 7wsm - just because I like lots of guns. Not because one is so much better than another.

Tnyoteboy

Another one of them get what you want, which is ok with me. May be a problem if the demand dies down and you get tired of it. Just wondering.

holstonangler

Tnyoteboy said:

There are ballistics charts that show the differences, the shorter cartridge allows for a faster burn leading to higher velocities and flatter trajectories.

Tiny

Tnyoteboy said:

To your question NO,but the same is the case with the other rounds as well. A 7 mag won't do anything an '06 won't,what will a 308 do that an 06 won't? ect ect.

For myself it came to the appeal factor,the 7 Remmie ,300Winnie made me :sleep: ,same for some other new rounds,while the WSM made me :crazy: :grin:

I think all of them will be around for a good while.

Tnyoteboy

Guess that's why I want a Savage 99 in 300 Savage, or a Remington model 8 in 35 Remington, and the list goes on.............

I agree that the 300wsm is a little overkill with the 168gr TSX, but I usually don't have a tracking problem. I may try some 130gr TSX next year. To be honest my Ruger 7x57mm with 140gr TSX's is a real deer killing machine.

Tiny

Tnyoteboy said:
Guess that's why I want a Savage 99 in 300 Savage, or a Remington model 8 in 35 Remington, and the list goes on.............

Yep ;) :D

Tiny

DEER ASSASSIN said:
only one advantage

my 7 SAUM will do the same and faster as the 7 mag but with less powder

love my saum

Ah got to nit pick do we.Hey it is a reason to get a new rifle. :D

encore06

I'm getting a itch for a new rifle myself. Thinking about selling my Rem Model Seven .260 and buying the Marlin .308MXLR or a rifle in the .270wsm. I'm sounding like a woman shopping for home decor or furniture. Never satisfied. :D :D

Latest posts